OGD….just because it’s awesome

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
A limited edition Southern Jumbo that I purchased in 2016 from Wildwood .
0ACF541C-7D25-483F-8B1E-8C5FA63C3F5C.jpeg
C424E588-EA5A-422B-A929-2BDED8EA3BEB.jpeg
7D8E2462-CCF7-4C7D-8053-3EE811470168.jpeg

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
Bozeman can make a nice guitar and Wildwood is noted for offering those with Thin Skin finishes. And Southerner Jumbos can be very special. Ony one I ever owned though was a 1956. While not Banner SJ awesome I would say it was awesome enough.

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
I think this one is special. I never thought I’d sell the J-185 because it was my favorite acoustic of all time but I rarely played after I got the Southern Jumbo.

I always wondered why Bozeman changed the name of that model.
I think this one is special. I never thought I’d sell the J-185 because it was my favorite acoustic of all time but I rarely played after I got the Southern Jumbo.
I parted with my '56 SJ because it was back in the day when I had no choice if I wanted something else. It actually all finally paid off though as that SJ was the founder of the feast which eventually placed a 1932 12 fret L1 in my hands. These days though as I am far better heeled then I used to be that SJ never would have left my hands. That guitar remains the only Gibson which still haunts me.

While I am not as well versed in Bozeman-made guitars than others, there were two SJs which really piqued my interest. One was the short run which came out in 2013 as part of the "Kalamazoo Gals" project which was copied from a Banner loaned to Bozeman by the author of that book. The other was another short run which was the 12 fret version. Problem was rather than go with my gut instincts which is what I usually do, I overthought it all. In the case of the Banner RI, I already owned a 1942 J50 so figured there was no money in buying a repro slope shoulder jumbo when I already owned the real deal. In the case of the 12 fretter even though need has nothing to do with it I got caught up in that do I really need another guitar thing.

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
Sweet looking guitar, but it hurts to think of that 185 going. I let my J -185 go too, and have since regretted it. Loved the look, the feel, and neeerly the sound. I traded it for a D-35, which I thought I was going to love, but it just wasn’t the guitar for me either. Often I have wallowed in regret thinking, oh, if I had only tried these other strings, maybe it would have opened up more, had more shimmer, ring, magic…

Oh well, cant get through this life without our stupid brains thinking they should be making the import decisions.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Sweet looking guitar, but it hurts to think of that 185 going. I let my J -185 go too, and have since regretted it.
It is probably one of 2 guitars that I somewhat regret selling. The shorter scale made it a breeze to play. The maple back gave it a clarity that I really like and was great for recording. Plus it was gorgeous. C’est la vie

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
It is probably one of 2 guitars that I somewhat regret selling. The shorter scale made it a breeze to play. The maple back gave it a clarity that I really like and was great for recording. Plus it was gorgeous. C’est la vie
As I said I regret letting my '56 SJ go. In over half a century, I have only owned two six string Gibsons which had something about them which set them apart from the crowd one of which was the SJ. This particular guitar had a noticeably quick low end decay which left the mid and treble fundamentals to jump out. It had the most saturated mids I have heard on a Gibson. This SJ actually acquired a local reputation to where I used to get calls from a local music shop to bring it down for some head cutting.

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
I do like the short scale too, got use to it with my tripple 0 28, and I guess the 00-15 before that. And now the old LG2 I guess. Yeah, I have to stop thinking about it or makes me want to sit alone in the dark and wither.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Absolutely beautiful!
I currently have a J-45, your SJ’s modest kin.
It is awesome enough that I felt comfortable selling my Gibson J-100E to a relative.
I also have a Martin HD-28V that covers Rosewood territory for me, but I’d sure like to try out an Advanced Jumbo someday.