Offset Brainstorm

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Matrim, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Matrim

Matrim TDPRI Member

So guys, going to take my first shot at building a body soon, ideas have been swirling in my head at first it was Tele vs Strat, and then Jaguars were thrown into the mix, but the trem setup kind of blows my budget. I was trying to think of other offset guitars I could make-I'm young, allow me to try and be different. All I could really think of was Mosrites, and I have no idea where to get a basically free template for one of those, or if they're 25.5 inch scaled. Seems like I rambled. Any input would be appreciated if anyone got anything from that. :lol:

2. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I've built a couple of Jag/JM style guitars, a Jagstang and a Maya Helix clone. Do you have a printer? What I did was find a good, clear pic of what I wanted, convert the pic to a PDF file, blow it up to scale, and print it out on generally 4 sheets of paper. I then taped them together, cut out the pic, and voila; instant template. I didn't mess with the trems on the J-styles-you're building it so you can do anything you want, right? I don't have anything for Mosrites, but you can do the same as I did. Good luck; it's a lot of fun.

Attached Files:

3. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Whoa. Nice work! ^^^^

It may be urban myth, but I remembr hearing that the classic Mosrite body style was designed by flipping a Stratocaster upside-down and tracing it out on butcher paper.

4. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

A knock-off jag/jazz or even Mustang trem need not be expensive, with a high-enough ToM bridge. Of all the vibratos they are probably the spongiest, and certainly different. Some Teiscos had a ratty looking Mustang trem, but it worked.
    You do need to rout a hole but imo easier than fitting a strat trem.

Assuming you're using a Fender scale length then a tele template will give you all the dimensions you need to position the neck and bridge and wot-not, then doodle your own design on a plank. Or just carve it out from what you see in the wood.

5. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

If you want to be different, but not too much, the Jazzmaster is definitely the way to go. I've gotten a great amount of appreciation for them recently. Sonic Youth and all those guys, they make 'em aces.

6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Strat62 - I'm really taking a liking to the red one, the more I see it.

Nice work.

- D

7. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Thanx-;)

8. Fuzzblaster

Fuzzblaster Tele-Meister

Its nice to see another younger builder on this site!

9. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

It sure is-and for you young guys on a tight budget-every pickup in the builds I showed you above were bought cheap in the classifieds right here at TDPRI. Just because someone is swapping them out for a high-end pup doesn't mean that they don't, or won't sound good in your own build. Ditto for the bodies-the blanks were bought right here as well; and for a very reasonable price. For necks, pickguard blanks and hardware-GFS is your friend!;)

10. Matrim

Matrim TDPRI Member

Damn, this community is awesome.

[​IMG]

This one is my fave. Awesome work! I may just go with a tune-o-matic. By cheap, I mean my budget for a bridge is around 20, so very cheap. Saving for a tube amp, and parts working a minimum paying job that has scheduled you during school the last two weeks is a back-breaker. :rolleyes:

11. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

Is that an interpretation of Phil Collen's old guitar?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.