1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Official - buying a new but slightly different guitar makes you better...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by danlad, Nov 25, 2020.

1. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Peegoo and Festofish like this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

However, as every action has an equal and opposite reaction, the new guitar will consequently and inevitably detract from your positive feelings about one or more of your other guitars, thus maintaining the balance of guitar-associated good feelings, and of happiness/dissatisfaction in your, and the, universe.

I have spoken.

SbS, superjam144, JL_LI and 6 others like this.
  3. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think certain guitars absolutely can make you better. If it is set up super well, you love the tone and feel.... you likely will play it more, thus making you better. I feel that way about my current guitar, a Zemaitis metal front. Baby low action, plays and sounds awesome. It's the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned, and my playing has definitely improved. Sometimes I actually surprise myself that I can nail something I've never been able to do in the past.

Peegoo, Old Deaf Roadie and teletail like this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I play better on my Tele & Esquire than I do on my 335. IDK if it's the neck profile or body shape. There's just something about the overall Telecaster experience for me...

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

It seems to me personally, that playing and learning make me a better guitar player. It is important that the guitar does not get in the way.

6. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Well put. So true.

hemingway likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Several of my pals who are music educators think this same way (as the article points out). Practicing scales all day long does reinforce fundamental knowledge, but linear practice leads to linear playing and that can constrain a player when it's time to improvise.

Regarding your interpretation of the study results: I think a new/different guitar doesn't make me a better player; rather, it requires a different approach to operating it. If it's new, it inspires and re-invigorates my enthusiasm for playing.

This is how I justify (to myself) having an obscenely huge collection of guitars; I can pull one out that's been in the case for two years and it's like having a new guitar o_O

I do have a few guitars that practically play themselves because they are perfect for me. These are the ones that hang on my wall and remain within easy reach because I need all the help I can get.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    JL_LI likes this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have five electrics and an acoustic. The acoustic is always within reach. I take out the electrics one at a time, usually for a week or more. It takes a day or so to get myself dialed into the guitar I just took out. From that point on I play and invariably discover something I hadn’t noticed or appreciated before. I sometimes discover something that needs work. My setup skills have improved as a result as has my attention to detail. Attention to detail in my playing always helps me get better. I’m almost 71 and I haven’t begun to back slide yet. I’ll be retiring at the end of the year. I don’t know if I’ll have more time to play but I’ll have more playing time without my wife interrupting it. So taking out a guitar I haven’t played in a while gives me almost as much focus as a new guitar, but focused uninterrupted practice is really what leads to improvement.

Peegoo and P Thought like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I think the article is spot on with no surprises. Practicing a variety of things a little differentLy is definitely a faster road to success. However, I doubt that different guitars has much to do with this subject ... with the exception that @JL_LI mentions about throwing in an acoustic. Perhaps a lot of deniers out there, but "practice" is still the key, not different guitars.

P Thought, JL_LI and Peegoo like this.
  10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

New/really good guitar= inspiration=more drive to play/practice=better playing. I've had my avatar for 47 years and every time I pick it up, I'm inspired- not any better, but inspired.:rolleyes::cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.