Office Guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Headless Axeman, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Headless Axeman

Headless Axeman Tele-Meister

I’m curious if anyone around here has, or knows of someone who has, a guitar that they use at super-low volume in their office. Not talking a home office, or an office where you’re the owner/boss, but for a regular worker bee with a boss and co-workers, etc.

2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Not me, but I made a sales call two years ago and a guy had a arch top sitting in the corner of a shared office. Last year I was visiting another customer, and he had an acoustic in his office. I don’t recall the brand names of either one.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. mally

mally Tele-Holic

I have a Yamaha acoustic in my break space and a cheap strat copy with a fender 100 watt tranny amp

rangercaster likes this.
  4. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I've got a cheap Squier acoustic I keep in my office. I did have a bass there too but took it home a couple months back.

$16 at Goodwill
    20191017_162843.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    3bolt79 and rangercaster like this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We have a semi-ridiculous game room that among other things includes a beat up old MIM strat + a Line 6 Spider IV.

Most of the stuff in the room was purchased by the company but the guitar + amp were donated by one of the employees who stopped playing.

Other stuff in the room includes a big TV + some video game systems, one of those office putting green things, a dart board, fridge full of beer & red bull, etc..

Headless Axeman likes this.
  6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I keep an epiphone LP jr. and a Vox VT20X modeler in my cubicle.

Dan R likes this.
  7. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I live in a work site dorm/camp for two weeks at a time, and I do keep a guitar in my room. I wouldn’t want to have the ensuing conversation if my boss found me playing guitar on the clock, however.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I play out in the parking lot at lunch most days, sometimes in the car, sometimes sitting outside in the shade. I use my Vox Mini 3 and usually one of my guitars that's setup for slide.

9. barfly69

barfly69 TDPRI Member

Höfner Shorty with a Vox amPlug and headphones would be a good choice.

Honest Charley likes this.
  10. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

A few of us brought guitars to work one day (an office), apparently GE has no musical taste. A few weeks later one of the guys brought a remote helicopter into the office. That went over well too. They ended up selling the business to Wells Fargo.

11. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Remote helicopter sounds like fun... the folks in my office thank you in advance!

12. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I don't imagine I could get away with this. :mad:

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Eon’s ago, circa 1987, I kept my Epi Texan in my boss’ (and bass player’s) office.
    We’d occasionally goof off and play a tune or two.
    Once Tommy (boss/bass player) called me on the intercom, to ask me if I would let a client play my guitar.
    I said “Sure”.
    I went into the office, and the guy was a great player.
    He showed me how to play the standard “Girl From Ipanema”.
    Funny, the stuff you remember.

14. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I kept a Micro Cube and a cheap Tele in my tool crib. The machine shop was closed of from the rest of the shop so I could play as loud as the Cube sounded good. Some guys had RC cars they played with. Before I retired one guy picked up playing bass and brought a whole rig in. I upped the anti and brought in a FM25R. We had a lot of fun. Shortly after I retired, he was told to get his rig out and shut off the stereo. That crew quickly got out of that shop and moved on to othe positions.

15. simond

simond Tele-Meister

Drummer I played with in the 70s worked in a big hardware store and had his spare kit set up in the basement so he could practice during lunch time.

16. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I think a Jazzmaster or Jaguar would work...

17. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

I've worked from home since 91 but I keep a ukulele with a set of strings tuned in 5ths in the car. That makes the uke like a fiddle and mando.

18. demon

demon Tele-Meister

Back when I had a private office I had a Yamaha acoustic in there. Not sure what the model was. FG-402MS? Only ever played it when I was pulling an all-nighter and I was the only one around. I don't know where you work but I'd not get away with playing anything during the day, not even on break times, so volume wasn't so much of an issue.

There are those Yamaha "silent guitar" models, or any solid electric guitar is quiet without the amp. But they need headphones, and once you start going down that path it loses some of the spontaneity.

19. Binx

Binx TDPRI Member

I keep a few in here... going to be downsizing to the archtop and one electric. Have a monoprice 15 watt to play through, the 1 watt mode is plenty quiet
    15713554353021787040367401949532.jpg

20. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I have a squier affinity signed by a bunch of bands that played a festival a few years ago. A sponsorship gift that just sat in a corner until I rescued it. I hung it behind my desk chair. I have an orange micro terror and headphones. I’ve played it once in 6 months.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.