1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Offered a $148,000 car test drive. Would you accept?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by noah330, Mar 20, 2019.

1. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

And your 718 isn't a race car? J/k, I know what you mean.

But if I didn't have an M2, a 718 would be high on my list of track-ready cars. There are plenty of race cars that would kill for the turn-in, balance, and other cornering prowess of the 718. It's got pretty good beans too.

I think we agree that you don't need 700hp to be good:)

boris bubbanov and noah330 like this.
  2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yah, I received the "don't let anyone sit up front" notice for my 2010. I called my dealership...they said to bring it in for a free oil change and "checkup" and we'll take care of it. I did just that...no appointment, no problem. Much smaller market/dealership here.

3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

mispost

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I heard Honda is recalling their airbags AGAIN because the first ones have problems. I sold my Element late last year. I loved that thing!

5. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I probably wouldn't. For one thing, they probably would't let me thrash it to so how well it went, and if it is THAT good, I'd rather be happy with what I have than lust for something expensive I don't need.

Besides, the price difference in insurance between that and my Cooper S would probably be enough for me to buy some really nice gear. Like the other guy suggested, I'm happier not knowing what I'm missing :)

6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If you want to have fun on a test drive my advice would be to go test drive a BMW.

No one has ever let me test drive a car like I was allowed to test drive a 3 series years ago.

I test drove an Audi the same day and was only allowed to go around the block and wasn't really allowed to get out of first... I felt like they were treating me like a 16 year old on a drivers license exam. And it was not a "fast" Audi.

Then I went and test drove a BMW and it was a much faster/more fun car and the sales guy clearly knew why you look at a car like that and was cool. They must have better insurance.

Too bad they were both expensive and I was coming off an unreliable car so they both looked like bad ownership bets. I bought an Acura and it was a flawless car that never had anything break for many years, cost less, and was a really fun car to drive too.

7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

My first car was a 1977 320is with the posi rear end. I paid $1000 for it from a guy who brought it to MA from southern CA and drove it all through high school.

It was an awesome car. When I made a little money I bought an M3 and it was a nightmare. Issue after issue, although it was great to drive.

My brother drives BMWs. I love the old ones (2002 through the E30s) but the new ones don't do anything for me.

8. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

The only situation I would NOT accept a test drive is in a severe snow storm...

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I like em, I've never driven a BMW I didn't like, but my Dad has had 2... a 540is in the 1990s and he's got a recent 328xi right now. Both were/are way too needy in terms of stuff breaking. The 540is sprung a fuel leak and came really close to starting on fire in the driveway among a long list of other stuff. I think his 328xi has been better but it still had some silly stuff like brakes wearing out at race car rates.

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I grew up young thinking I'd want expensive cars, but I'm too cheap and ...well, I'm too cheap and not buying one is a fight that I don't have to have with a spouse.

that benz convertible is a beautiful car, and whatever MB has lost in 30 years in terms of making a basic reliable car, they sure haven't lost in making really pretty ones.

Two VW/Audi products in my younger days, and I can only conclude that the german makers (who don't make that many of our domestic cars in germany) really have no regard for someone who works on cars (something else I never expected to do, but the more I do it, the more i like it).

the folks who loved the simple BMWs and bought the 3 series 20 years ago here don't seem to have them now. the M3s when they got a big power boost were really sweet cars, but they didn't stay on the road long, and neither did the M5s at the time. Since you're closer to those cars now than I am, do you think it's a matter of having too many different platforms and making them here in the states instead of germany?

There are so many platforms from different makers now, differing by continent and then changing all the time, and combined with the fact that service/repair is a large part of their planned revenue stream now (and maintenance on the luxury brands) that I've just kind of lost touch. Not that all of the luxo cars in the 80s were that great - some of those were outright horrible, too, but I wish the makers had gone a different direction. Sort of like a glitzy toyota with lineage on all of the parts so that even if a car was laden with gadgets, they would be reliable gadgets.

Looking in an audi manual and then at the motor and back and forth in my younger days cured me. and then just as I got out of it, I met my wife, and she'd just bought a VW car with a turbocharged audi engine in it, and it was crap, too. Well, never any real problem with the motor, but everything else around it fell apart, and it looked like it had been arranged on "first guess" principle.

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

If one wants an attorney to provide a worst case scenario, in addition to not being in a position to buy it, I can do it.

What if one drove it and was involved in a serious accident that entailed property damage and personal injury and had to live with years of litigation because of a frivolous test drive?

See, you go to law school and you always have these thoughts...

I am glad I could be a cool spring breeze and breath of fresh air.
    ---

BTW, what is the model number?

I was out a few minutes ago and saw a red AMG SL63 two seater. It is a nice looking car I suppose, but can't guess the price on that thing.

drlucky likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't know.

What's the point of living in Michigan?

:^)

+

I just got back to the Memphis area from the mountains of North Carolina, appx. 400 miles. No, I didn't have the Miata top down much of the time. Yes, I had a good day.

13. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

My little Alfa Spider cost me £750 plus maybe double that on my own renovations, so around $4,000 for chic, topless European motoring.

I'll bet it's a ton more fun than any $140,000 Mercedes with all its electronic babysitting, and I can park it anywhere without worrying about door dings.
    DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Honestly, there are a lot of other cars that I'd rather take a test drive in that cost significantly less than that Merc. I mean, I could order a custom-built GT-40 for half that price, a car that would run rings around it. But if given the opportunity, sure, I'd take it for a test drive. And yes, I would give it a spirited test. But it would ultimately be a bit frustrating, knowing I could never afford it -- or at least, if at some time in the future, I come into a financial windfall, it still wouldn't be a car I'd buy, even if I could afford it.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Great post.

I've never done significant car work. Change tires, oil change, headlights, easy stuff. Partly cause I never wanted to invest in jack stands and all the other nonsense required since cars are big and heavy and I'm not a car guy. I like bicycles, done tons of work on them. They are generally super simple but the manufacturers are largely trying to follow the lead of the car companies and making stuff ever more complex and annoying to work on.

When I had motorcycles I did major major work on several of them that I had. E.x. rebuilding one after a major race track crash, tearing one to pieces in the garage to fix a cooling problem, brake jobs, etc.. I helped friends with stuff too, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, Ducati.

Maybe unlike cars there was an inverse relationship with reliability and service ease. Honda was incredibly reliable. But horrific to work on. Suzuki a little bit easier but a little less reliable, Triumph was a basket case but simple to work on. And when you looked at a Ducati you could tell the guy who designed it intended it to be easy to be worked on in the pits at a racetrack where stuff got worked on constantly.. lots of stuff looked designed to be taken apart and put back together quickly, but as a streetbike you'd be doing so way more often than the Honda.

I had a Honda where you had to remove the hydraulic clutch to change the chain and sprockets. And you had to drain the fluid, replace, and bleed the clutch after you replaced the chain. Then I had helped a friend with a Ducati.. they moved the clutch forward 3" of the sprocket so the job took like 1/4 the time cause the clutch wasn't mounted on top of the sprocket.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm just going to come out and say, this car doesn't look like an $ 150,000 car. Doesn't even look like a $ 105,000 car.

I don't know what they're doing here, but I feel like the price makes no sense, I sure am not going to test drive it.

What this reminds me of is an Antiques Shop where everything is 3x overpriced, and they want to invite me to bring my energetic puppy dog into this store where they hope Daisy will smash something and they'll demand obscene compensation. Screw this.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I take public trans now. I thought my wife would be working, but she isn't, so we have a good mid-grade SUV for her and the kids.

Her first car after ditching the turbo vw was a scion XB, so that has become, by default my car.

It's like working on a car in the old days. It's ugly, there's very little in it, and it feels cheap, but unlike the old days it requires little. In 10 years, it's required $79 of unscheduled work. I'm not counting some coils, because those are candy to cars with coil over plugs and three or four over ten years is par for the course, $20, and a 15 minute job. max.

I drive to work about once a month. If I had more need to drive, I'd have a better car. Life circumstances have caused me not to spend money on some things I thought I would (expensive cars, clothes, etc) and things I wouldn't have expected to (stay at home spouse, kids' college, etc....

Somewhere the guitars got a little out of hand twice.

I sure do like to look at nice cars, though, and when someone at work buys something new for 6 figures, I like to see it and get a ride in it. BIL is always an early adopter of technology, and has a plug in van and a tesla - love those, too.

drlucky likes this.
  18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Today's $150k car is 1995s $80-$90k car.

My stingy mother got a wild hair when she realized she'd saved a lot and got a v12 jaguar in the late 80s (something she'd wanted since her youth). She worked as a teacher, but had property income and another side business and could swing it without issue. It wasn't that great of a car, but probably equivalent to this benz. As i recall, it made a lot of heat under the hood, got poor mileage, and if you left it sitting for a week, it would drain its battery. That didn't happen often, but teachers have summers off and sometimes they didn't drive it around much.

The 3 speed trans sucked the power out of the engine (and I'm sure didn't improve the mileage), but it was quiet and nice to ride in. Not an ergonomic marvel to get out of.

Cost class wise, it's similar to that.

Shortly after that, the airport owner (buddy of mine is a commercial pilot now and was learning then) had a taxi company and an airport....and a girlfriend. He'd promised her that they'd get married when she turned 40. She turned 40, he changed his mind (guessing 1996 or so) and bought her a Mercedes SL600. She liked it, but was still mad at him. For some stupid reason, he liked it, too, and bought another one, even though he didn't need a car. he left it at the airport as a car to drive (maybe the business owned it,I don't know), and..

...it was about the same price as the benz here, and looking at it, I couldn't really figure out why.

Point being, $148K just doesn't buy the same high-margin-for-the-maker car that it used to.

The jaguar was overall a turd for what it cost, but it was fun to ride in. It had a lot of problems, and other than decent finish quality inside and real wood, it was expensive for what it was. Maybe in the end, because of the relatively smaller number of gadgets, it would still last longer than the benz here.

19. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like my picture better:
    upload_2019-3-21_15-42-31.jpeg

20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Love that color.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.