1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Off-the-wall pickguard materials

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by kingjack, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

It was one on the square, adhesive backed tiles, maybe linoleum?

2. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

That's what I thought. What style is it? It's hard to tell from the pic. (You know, is it supposed to look like slate/marble etc etc)

3. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

While we are on the subject of pickguards i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on 3M Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film as a PG material where you may not want to cover an area of wood, color or pattern but still protect the finish. Anyone ever tried this? im thinking of doing it on my current build.

4. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Marble, I think

5. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

6. bassburner

bassburner TDPRI Member

That's sweet. Any tips on how to cut that without snapping the vinyl?

7. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure a scroll or coping saw would do nice. I used a coping saw to cut my last pick guard

8. bassburner

bassburner TDPRI Member

I just wondering if the vibrations would crack the vinyl. Perhaps double side tape it to a thin piece of wood or something? Definitely would want to try this with some $1 Neil Sedaka records from the thrift store first.

9. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

My dad put this stuff on his corvette, and the guy gave him a sample so I could do my bike. I never did, but it's great for doing cell phone screens and cameras. It would probably work alright, but you have to spray a light mist first, and use rubber gloves. Very tricky stuff to get without lines. It cuts easily. It's kinda rubbery and grippy. It works really well. I might try it if I cared enough about not scratching my finish.

10. Bob.M

Bob.M TDPRI Member

I've used old vinyl records. I tried a couple of 10 inch 45s from the fifties but while the look was great, they shattered every time a tool was waved at them. I ended up with a 12 in 33 from the early 60s. It was fragile as well but held together long enough to get mounted on the guitar. It's my avatar.

If I do it again, I'd paste paper to the backside to help hold things together. If you use later, cheaper, thinner records, that you can flex easily, I believe that you'd fine no problems cutting. But less mojo (that goes without saying)

Used a bandsaw, drill press and a little light router action for the p'up. Wear eye protection.

11. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Hi Steve,

LMI sells two clear peel and stick pickguard products. One is .005" and the other is .010". I use the thinner stuff on my acoustics.

https://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/pickguard-material/pickguard-sheets

Steve

12. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Cut far away from the line. If you have a sander, especially a spindle sander and belt/disc sander, this stuff sands really fast. I find if I go really hard at sanding it, it will sort of melt, and then once its cool, you can snap the ugly stuff off the edge and it leaves a nice clean crisp edge.

13. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I made a 3-ply PG from wood veneers for my Vintage RI Tele. The top layer is a marquetry ocean sunset of Walnut, Maple and Tasmanian Myrtle.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.