1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Off Key Singer

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by gtrfarm, Nov 22, 2013.

1. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

I always felt that Dylan sang the way he did intentionally, to get that folksy sound. As someone said here, a while back , he's a poet not a singer! It used to be the presentation as well as the quality of the vocal talent. Nlow you might as well get Autotune if you're going for the big time. Seriously, singing talent is secondary nowadays, to working out in the gym and having a sexy body! LOL. Just let the guy do his thing, and if you get good reviews go for it. If not, get a lead singer! A man's ( or womanis) got to know his/her limitations.:lol::lol::lol:

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Check-out he well he can hear himself when he sings.
    I am a Monitor Task-Master. Bought my own, use my own, just for me.
    When a Vocalist gets their Mix just right, good things have a statistically better chance of happening.

Another possibility is play the songs in another key.

His songs must be pretty good or, you wouldn't be asking.

3. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Cant make a silk purse outa a sows ear? True but you might be able to make a usable purse outta it. Itll be different. Might not be what you expect but it could be great and very usable. Same w/ singers.

4. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I like Kris Kristofferson's and Dylan's singing voices. Dylan had a better voice earlier in career (probably too many cigarettes). Now neither have the voice that say Iain Matthews or Art Garfunkel have but I never thought them singing off key. I alway thought that some of early Dead stuff was off key.

My vote for worst singer (beside me) would be Jimmy Dandy from Black Oak Arkansas. Nothing redeeming about his singing, plus he ruined a good song "Jim Dandy to the rescue".

5. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You rang?

7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

This is rather confusing to me. Why isnt your singer writing in a key they can actually sing in? Or another possible solution, is there someone else in the band that can sing the songs your singer can not? Look at Fleetwood Mac, they split the singing up between them and gave Stevie a tambourine.

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

you either can hear it, or you cant. True, vocal training will help, but the best singers I ever worked with, never practiced a day in their lives.

They'd step up to the mic, open their mouths, and that golden pitch perfect sound happens, no effort, they dont even think about pitch or hitting the right note... it just does.

Some people, no matter how hard they try, just cant hear it and cant do it.

I think you're born with it, or you're not.

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Cute is king/queen.... always has been, yes, but, these days, its more so than ever.

Would anyone pay attention to Miley Cyrus if she looked like Momma Cass?

10. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

This, exactly. Personally, I think that in his prime Dylan was a fantastic compelling singer (to my mind, there's a distinction between being a singer and a vocalist and I prefer the former). I have worked with and heard countless singers who can vocalize runs all over the place, but who could never in a million years sing a song as effectively as Dylan when he was on his game. And the scooping thing that people do as an impression of him is actually a very small part of his vocal style.

Now, that said, I think that ol' Bob's voice has seen much better days. He has really ravaged it by years and years of hardcore smoking- much like Joni Mitchell- and it can't do what it once did. His records of the past 15 years have been full of great songs that he has arranged around his much more limited range and much more character- driven aspects of his voice. Just don't go see him live and expect him to be able to sing the old stuff the same way.

11. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Lessons work for most people. I used to be a terrible singer, took some lessons nearly 20 years ago and have never looked back. Lots of people have even said I have a lovely voice. They would never have said that before the lessons.

Sure, some people are great without lessons and a very few will never be able to sing, but most can learn. My singing teacher said she had just one hopeless case in 20+ years of teaching.

12. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

The good news is that if you got a big ol' butt, it might actually become your career.

But, Bob Dylan was so good, the whole world became his voice.

Now I gotta go trek over the treacherous geological topography of Kardashian's callipygous fame-matrix just to purchase some Vocal-Eze after tangling it all up in blue.

Be a good singa. Be McSexy. Fo realz.

image-1177425641.jpg

Attached Files:

13. loggerboots

loggerboots Tele-Meister

Not much to add, but as a new singer myself, I can attest that I have trouble singing in key when the full band is playing. Acapella, or self accompanied, I'm fine. Can he sing in tune when he's by himself or just soft accompanyment? If so, maybe it's that he can't hear himself well enough through the rest of the band (see my post on the topic as I'm struggling with this... I think...).

If he's out of tune either when all alone, I would encourage lessons. Learning how to relax the right pars, breath properly, etc all make a pretty big difference with both the ability to sing in tune and to get the most out of your voice, learning how to resonate and breath properly arent' really intuitive, at least they weren't for me, but practicing them has helped me improve quite a bit.

14. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I think there's a lot of confusion on here between the OPs point about singing in key and the idea of a great voice.

Singing off key will never be good - take that as read.

Can anyone be taught to sing in key? Pretty much, yes. Unless they are actually literally tone deaf.

Will that make them a great singer? No.

Singing, unlike guitar playing, is something that is very influenced by physical make-up. The shape of your mouth, your nose, your voice box etc will influence the timbre of your voice. So even leaving aside learning to phrase, sing in tune etc, there will be an ultimate timbre to your singing that you can't do much about.

As the example of Dylan shows, that timbre can be unconventional but still great. Or it can be conventional and dull.

So can anyone learn to be a "great" singer? No. Can anyone who isn't tone deaf learn to sing in tune? Absolutely yes.

15. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

And this is something I agree with 100%.

I worked with one of the top session singers in Canada for 20 years and turned her into a corporation for income tax purposes. We made an obscene amount of $$$ doing radio and tv ad jingles - McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Pepsi, Coke, Coors, Bud, Ford, GM, Honda, Nissan and a ton of other known brands. It all gets re-recorded under Union rules for this country plus re-done in French for Quebec. Almost like having a license to steal. She was a natural...

My drummer way back was nothing much as a singer but wrote most of this single on a gig in Nantucket Island and then completed it with Leslie West and our producer a couple of years later. Felix also produced the first two Cream albums and did bass on this with Corky on drums. The cowbell is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, was bought on sale for $3.99 at Steve's Music in Montreal and was never supposed to be on the track...was an accident, keeping time in the studio to start the song and Felix left it in. A few years before "Honky Tonk Woman" I might add.

Felix also wrote "Strange Brew" with his wife and co-wrote various other Cream tunes on Wheels of Fire and Disraeli Gears. He did keys and sang a few backups with us on other things but also...not a lead singer.

Some can do it and some can't.

16. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

Do y'all ever listening to recordings of the songs? What is his response then? I mean, does he think he is nailing it, and the rest of y'all look around the room? If this is a case of he thinks he is on, and you think he is off, it might be tough to work out. If he doesn't know and you and the rest of the band know he is off, he would probably welcome this discussion. I can't imagine he thinks of himself as a vocalist beyond reproach but is still singing off key. He would probably welcome the discussion and help if he simply doesn't know enough about singing to realize he is off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.