Of the four, which: Bassman RI, 65 DRRI, 68 Vibrolux RI, or 68 PRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bluesholyman, Apr 1, 2018.

1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I'd get rid of the Bassman. It's too big for any club gigs and you have to bring some sort of reverb pedal or tank too. That's too much to carry.

I used to use a Super Reverb and at least that had reverb attached to it. But it was vintage and the Chicago weather and playing in clubs was beating it up too much.

About 4 years ago when I was still gigging regularly I picked up a DRRI. Only ever owning vintage Fenders my expectations were low. I did like that I could put in the snow in the parking lot and not cringe, leave it in my car over night and not worry, and gig with one guitar and make one trip with amp and guitar from car to club.

I haven't had one problem with that DRRI and the speaker has broken in nicely, it's 100 percent stock and I tend to leave it that way.

I was so impressed by it that last month I picked up '65 PRRI. That's growing on me too, but if I had to pick one the DRRI is great for practicing and gigging.

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Complicated. The weight differences are actually the least varied aspect. Bulk and awkwardness vary more than that, and then the 1x10, 1x12, 2x10, 4x10 is a big difference, and that's all before we get into verb, trem, and rectification, and that's still simpler than gigging volume, pedals or no pedals, tweed vs. BF/SF, etc.

If you asked 'which of these would be your dream amp' you might get them rated from CPR up to Bassman just because of mystique and reputation. OTOH if you asked 'which one do you own' the tally might go the opposite direction.

Votes so far are all valid -- some folks grab the elephant's tail, some the legs, some the ears. Maybe the 68VR gets the most votes, and that makes sense cuz it's closest to the center of the size/weight/speakers bell curve. I guess it also has more amp-geek love than the workmanlike DRRI and CPR, and if that's a little less than the Bassman, it gives you back the verb / trem / portability / SF thing.

3. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Out of those four, I would choose the Vibrolux. It is the perfect combination of size, power, and tone.

4. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Wow. Where’d you get the matching patch cable? I’ve got that amp and that just looks cool.

bftfender likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

ordered a 6 pk of patch cables a few years ago and 2 colors of blue were in it, when i got the amp ,then put the cable up to the amp, got a big ol smile..

6. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

Of those 4 amps, I would go with the amp you already have.

telemnemonics and swany like this.
  7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I think I am good with the Bassman. There is just something about that wall of 4x10 sound that you get, even at low volumes that is magical. ...

...can you imagine if someone pushed a mids-focused bassman through a 4x12 cabinet? That could really be a game changer....

8. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I would go for a 65 PRRI with a 12 Inch speaker!

9. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

I love my Bassman RI, but also love my DeLuxe Reverb '68 Reissue.

The DR '68 RI Silverface is one heck of an amp and just had the edge an it's rivals. I tried the whole line of this bunch of Fender cousins, and this one continued to impress on all facets. The leader of the pack so to speak.

Find a Fender dealer and try the whole family. My descriptions of tone, sustain and whatever else won't help you. I am not a C & W fan however, but I do like my Blues, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Beck and Clapton if that gives you an idea.

10. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

I currently own a DRRI and a Bassman RI. Out of the 4 choices, I'd pick the Vibrolux over the DRRI and PRRI. First pick for me is the Bassman. I already have a great reverb pedal, don't really need term but it's nice to have.
    If you plan on using dirt pedals, the DRRI in the vibrato channel does not take them well due to the bright cap. Either remove the bright cap or use the normal channel, which then defeats the reverb and tremolo.
    No such issue with the Vibrolux.

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Biased...6L6 tubes...HAR!

Axis29 likes this.
  12. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Yep!

13. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

Celestions can be great in Fenders, unless you're playing only country or jazz.

14. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’d go DRRI or ‘68 Custom VR or DR.

Just the perfect size and wattage Fender amp and very versatile with an OD pedal.

Another good option, if you look carefully, you and pick up a vintage SF DR or VR for the same price or less than one of these amps purchased new.

Plan on putting another $200 into a vintage amp to have it serviced.

15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

post deleted,redundant answer.

16. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I had a 59 BMRI and wished I still had it. Alot of people will say that if cant crank it then you are missing out on what it is designed for. Kina true, but the clean tone of the bassman is really good.I would keep that and add either a 68 princeton to cover small gigs or a drri. I have a 68 Custom Princeton and once you break in that speaker it sounds pretty sweet.

17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I find a properly setup DR with the right speaker will do 95% of my gigs. Outdoors not as well. The 6V6's are smoother than my 6L6 amps which I like at reasonable volume levels. I have tried different club amps for 50 years and keep coming back to the DR.
    -The Bassman RI's I had just seemed to have tone controls that only marginally worked. If you could play loud enough it may have been good but I couldnt bond with them.
    -I have heard the Vlux RI's sound good, although they are nothing like real Vlux's and seem to have a few issues.
    -For gigging the PR will just fart out too much in too many situations.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.