Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Just bought the 68' CDR from L&M (floor model discount). It's being shipped to me since it was in another city - should have it in a few days. The limited edition Electric Blue model (besides the blue tolex), features a different speaker config than the regular 68' Custom Deluxe Reverb. It ships with a Celestion Creamback G12 M - 65 speaker. Looking forward to it landing...

ISI15068B.jpg

I figure it will complement one of my Tele's nicely...:)

IMG_3178.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    TequilaCaster, T-Bone, jimash and 3 others like this.
  2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I think I've owned 15 or so amps over the years. For the last several years my number one has been my Mission Tweed Deluxe clone (5E3) that I built from a kit. My trio maintains relatively low stage volume, and we always mic everything, so the Deluxe's 15 watts are more than enough. The tone, both clean and distorted, works great for the blues/roots/swing/rock stuff we do.

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My 1st amp was an original tweed Champ with a Jensen speaker. I did not know what it was when I bought it for $20 at a garage sale from someone else who didn't know squat on that day in 1980. Then, to further my stupidity, I sold it to my brother in law for $25. He divorced out of the family & although I do not miss him, I sure miss the amp, especially since I now know what I had.

4. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Having only owned a small handful of amps over the years, my experiences are admittedly with a relatively small sample size compared to some TDPRI'rs. Champion 110, Cyber Deluxe, Tweed Bronco, Blues Junior, Pro Junior, Mustang IIIv1 but my 68 CVR has been my #1 since plugging it in... Just perfection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the best amp I've had was a fuchs rebuilt DRRI ODS. that was a solid, dependable and great sounding amp. I was an idiot to trade it off.

6. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

A 60s drip edge super reverb,a 60s vibrolux,both long gone. I have a Mesa Express 5:25 now that I like a lot,never tried a Mesa before this that I liked or kept.This model has changed my thinking on the Mesa amps,like a few others on the forum,excellent!

7. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

It stands out because no amp I ever played blows out a vibrato as lush as this one.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

20180421_070959.jpg

This one, a 76 SFTR, the most beat, least "vintage" Fender I've got.
    Why? I don't know I just like it.

Milspec, stevemc and TeleFunk Man like this.
  9. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Oh nice, love that 68' CVR, this is a 2x10 config, right?

I have a 68' CDR on the way. Did Fender customized the tone stack on first channel of he CVR?

10. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Going based solely on tone...1973 Fender Super Reverb.

But I sold it because it was too loud, big and heavy for my current needs. So yes I compromised on tone to get the portability and volume I needed.

11. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

At the moment, it is my 65 DRRI. Close second is my Vox AC15. I have them tweaked just the way I want them.

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Music Man amps were all hybrid, solid state front end and a hybrid power stage with valves and transistors. Often two, sometimes four EL34 (6CA7) or 6L6. The transistor in circuit with each valve enabled a higher output (so I've been told) than would normally be expected. That (as explained to me by Dennis Cornell, the British amp guru) is how my 112RP-100 managed to get 100 watts out of a single pair of EL34s. And it was as loud and clean as a very loud and clean thing. Also. with its single EVM12L speaker, as heavy as hell. I only parted with it, very reluctantly indeed, because I couldn't handle the weight any more.

13. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Tell you what, the original Sessionette was a blinding little amp. My current one is my seventh since 1984. At one point I had four at the same time, 1x12, 2x10, Mark I and Mark II.

But the RetroTone mods that Stewart Ward developed around 2012 improve the amp still further. It sounds HUGE, with masses of bottom end, not a strong point in the unmodded version. It's basically a tweak to the negative feedback circuit that enables the speaker to interact with the output stage similarly to the way it would with the output transformer in a valve amp. I love it, and having made the same mistake six times I won't be parting with this seventh one.

rze99 likes this.
  14. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

It's difficult to say anything will be a favorite forever, but my current go to is a Carvin Legacy 3. I've had it for a while and it's taken some time to find a sweet spot with it, but it has a clean channel that beats any Twin I've ever played, a pretty good Marshall clone channel, a third sear your face off channel, and a boost that can be applied to any of them. Best master volume I've ever messed with, can be switched from 18, 50, and 100 watts, all in a 29 lb head that you could rack mount if you wanted. I used it in a show this past weekend and I felt like it was the best I'd ever sounded.

15. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What does this thread really show?
    There are dozens and dozens of great amps we all favor...and/or our tastes vary widely!

T-Bone, Tony474 and BobbyZ like this.
  16. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

This is my favorite amp, but it’s more like a piece of furniture...thing weighs a ton.
    F9019757-B703-439E-831F-B9172541708F.jpeg

Snfoilhat likes this.
  17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Cool. Making me want seek one down with the retrotone mods now...... might just do so to get it out of my system!

Tony474 likes this.
  18. REWTX

REWTX TDPRI Member

I just bought a used Pure Sixty Four "64" amp head from GC. Still in the honeymoon but WOW!

19. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I've had many amps and I'm down to five. Currently my Marsh tweed Bassman clone is my number one. You can see it in my avatar.

20. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

I’ve had quite a few amps through my life, here’s the list that I remember having:

Fender Blues Jr.
    Fender Hot Rod Deville
    Traynor YBA-1 Bass Master Head
    Mesa Mark IV Head
    Hughes & Kettner Trilogy Head
    Fender Vibro Champ ‘78 Original
    Fender Vibro Champ EC
    Carl’s Amps Tweed Champ
    Mesa 5:50 Express Combo
    Mesa 5:25 Express Combo
    Mesa Mark V:25 Head
    Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
    Fender Deluxe Reverb ‘65 Original
    Fender Princeton Reverb ‘76 Original
    Little Dawg Amps Wonderdawg
    Blackstar HT1R
    Blackstar FLY3
    Tweed Deluxe 5E3 Head
    Fender Bassbraker 007 Combo
    Tweed Deluxe 5E3 Combo

From these my favorite is the Tweed Deluxe 5E3 Combo, just such great tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.