Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice ES-125 there!!

WingedWords likes this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Thanks. It looks good in pics. Needs work on nut, frets and bridge, but OK for slide meanwhile.

3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I have owned dozens of really cool 50’s-60’s era tube amps over the years, many I bought just to have something different. About 2 years ago I decided having them just to stare at them was...... stupid.
    Sold all of them off except for:
    ‘61 Brownface Pro
    ‘56 Gretsch Executive
    ‘59 Gretsch Stereo King
    60’s era Lessman 500 ( killer !)
    Genz Benz Shenandoah
    Fender Rumble 350
    And a half dozen or so vintage tube reverb units.

4. Blues63

Blues63 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Back in the eighties I owned one of these. They were an all valve master volume EL-34 amp with two ten inch Alnicos. This amp was my favourite, but I was in a working cover band who wanted me to have a Marshall, so I sold it to buy a JCM800 ~ the dumbest move of my life, as I'm still chasing the tone of one of these to this day. My Lonestar Special is the closest I've ever come to this tone, and I'm quite happy with that.

I keep an eye out for one of these MM's, but every one I see is either over-priced or just clapped out.

Honest Charley and hdvades like this.
  5. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

I just keep saying 'yeah, I had one o' them' reading these posts.

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

The Super Sonic is a nice amp.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have heard of such an amp but have never seen on. I have not seen a schematic for an all-tube MM amp, either.

8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Right now I am still loving the '68 CPR.

I suuppose my favorite ever is somewhere between my actual 1968 drip edge TwWin that I had modded when I was 17.
    And the 1967 Bassman w/ 2/12 that was already modded when I got it ( still have this one but not for long)

9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I had one of those for many years. Are you sure they are ALL valve? I thought they had solid state preamp... and I'm sure mine was 2 x 6L6?

Wally likes this.
  10. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

My current amp, Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary.
    Have it for 6 years now and I'm still happy.....actually bought a second one for back-up.
    I have owned Laneys (AOR, TT20, Cub 12 and a horrible solidstate decades ago), Fenders (Champ, Blues Junior), Marshall (TSL 602 - but I'm definitely not into Marshalls....), and a rack-system with the whole 19'' preamp, effects, midi thingy......EDIT: forgot the Peavey Express and Bandit....
    The Hughes & Kettner still has the best clean and crunch for my taste and has an effects loop. I sometimes wish it was a 40 Watt instead of 20 Watt, but that's just for larger stages and hard-hitting drummers.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have two identical Quinn SDQ 15w amps (based on ODS). It's like an old pair of shoes. It responds to my playing more than anything else I've tried. I also have a Ceriatone OTS 50w amp.

My number #1 Quinn has been on in my studio for about a year. I turn it off when gone from home. But, otherwise, I play it so often throughout the 24-cycle of interrupted sleep, that I burned out the original switch. So, now I leave it on most of the time. Tubes OK, so far.

12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  13. Utah Joe

Utah Joe Tele-Meister

I’m very happy with my Mesa TA-30 1x12 combo. I switched the speaker out for a JBL K120 and it sings. Mesa stopped making them but you can get a used one in great shape for about half of the original retail price.

14. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

That is indeed a nice amp with great variety in sound, I played it once in a jam. BUT: what on earth were they thinking with that vintage-toploader-panel??? Who on earth is standing BEHIND his amp nowadays?!? That really annoyed me, as you really have to take your time dialing in your preferences, it's not like a one-tone-one-volume-control-panel!

15. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I've owned many amps over the years. My best amp these days is still my 70s Fender Vibrolux Reverb with 60s Jensen speakers. My Quilter 101 Reverb is good too. I also have a new 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb Electric Blue on the way.

IMG_2430.jpg

ISI15068.jpg

stevemc and santiago53 like this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for memory jogger... the Sessionette 75 is such a great and versatile amp.. at least in my memory. I agree it is purely UK niche pro's amp.
    a backing singer session guy I knew years ago in the 80s used one of these exclusively and I remember trying his with my old Strat and it sounded great and I wanted one but was just a penniless fool putting all my money into my own band back then... I'd love to try one again and see if it lives up to my memory of it.

Tony474 likes this.
  17. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I like my Katana 100

zosofan likes this.
  18. The Tube Guy

The Tube Guy TDPRI Member

Since a few years back, my favourite is the EF86 channel on my Matchless DC-30.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've never played through a vintage amp although I did have a handwired Victoria 508 (Champ clone) and a handwired Fender 58 Deluxe reissue.
    None of that matters right now. My current Special Edition PRRI Bordeaux with a 12" Jensen is the one amp I would not part with. The 12" IMHO solves a lot of issues of the standard PRRI. I can play it at recording and bedroom levels or crank it. It plays very well with pedals so it's ideal for my use.
    In my perfect guitar world I would own vintage tweed, blackface, plexi, and Vox amps but that ain't happening.

Telebeestar likes this.
  20. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Blue, drip edge, OMG that looks nice!

TeleFunk Man likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.