Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I once owned a blackface Fender Princeton that I loved. I also had a 1958 Fender Tweed Deluxe that was spectacular that I traded for a Trace Elliott Bonneville 4X10.

I have a 1968 Fender Vibro Champ and a 1969 Bandmaster Reverb and both sound fabulous.

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

I played a dr. Z that had the best sounding cleans I've ever heard. Out of all my amps that I own though, my monoprice 15 is pretty darn good for home use and band practice. Cheap, reliable, sounds great with decent tubes and an old speaker out of an organ. For gigs though, my Lil dawg tweed deluxe clone is my #1. Good cleans, good dirt. Takes pedals well, light weight, light weight, did I mention it's really light weight?

Owenmoney likes this.
  3. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I do have 1300 sq foot studio space where I have storage closet with high ceilings. I have probably owned well over 200 amps in 40 years of playing. It has been my experience that I can get more sounds with one guitar and a dozen amps than a dozen guitars into one amp. I currently own a dozen guitars and 2 dozen amps. I used to be a professional musician, so that was the original impetus. Gear collecting also replaced record collecting as well. As a result, I am currently a part time seller(I buy when prices are low). When I first started, the only collectible amps were a 5F6A Bassman, plexi Marshalls and early Vox AC-30. Pretty much all other used amps were dirt cheap until the mid-90's-especially in the rackmount era of the late 80's. I used to go to a couple of stores and find killer vintage amps that were traded in for a Yamaha Rev 7, Eventide Harmonizer and some goofy Marshall rackmount amp. I still a 55 Deluxe that I bought in this period. That amp sounded like God, so I bought it. I had three others that I have long since sold. At least a dozen Deluxe Reverbs have passed through my clutches. Had about the same amount of Super Reverbs. These things used to be cheap. If you hold out another decade or two, they will probably go for next to nothing again like accordions.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

This little 200 watt Quilter does everything I want and it sounds great.

[​IMG]

5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

My '58 Deluxe. Unfortunately I had to sell it due to medical bills after having heart surgery.

My favorite amp is my Super Sonic 60. A lot of players have complained about them being noisy and having other issues, mine seems to be the exception.

hotrodkid and schenkadere like this.
  6. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Being in my sixties,i have had dozens of great amps. The two i always come back too are a blackface vibrolux reverb and a marshall jmp 50 watt. I went thru a mesa boogie period when they only offered the mk series. Great amps but to hard to dial in. Old marshalls and fenders always win!

aging_rocker likes this.
  7. mcfree

mcfree TDPRI Member

Cheers all round Wally! I just bought LO662211 in red tolex and perfect cond for USD670 (a devil of a serial!). Tube chart is printed Fender Amp Custom Shop. Scottsdale, Arizona. Has the Mercury Magnetics upgrade and hopefully the other Zinky mods. I'll post when I pick up.

Wally likes this.
  8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Quite a history of amp experience there. What do you most look forward to using with a Telecaster?

9. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Okay, I could be partial to this one. :D

10. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

Of all the amps, ever owned or played is too long a list, i’ll Keep it short. Current 65 Twin Reissue is my “current favourite” honourable mention Vox AC15. All time favourite early 60’s BF Deluxe Reverb when I was too you to know what I had.

She was “The Girl” that got away!

11. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

My long gone Quad Reverb..

12. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I forgot what I paid for my '65 Vibro Champ in the early 90s. But it was well under $100. Not much of a market for them back then.

P.S. The Richter 5e3 next to it sounds awesome too.

Richter, (pre-CBS) Vibro Champ.jpeg

jonnyfez likes this.
  13. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

For me, it's the Mesa Boogie Mark V:25. It's incredibly versatile covering an enormous range of tones from Fendery classic clean through to American high gain. It's a tweakers delight but can take some getting used to how all the knobs work and interact with each other. It has a slight edge over my SFVR because of how much ground it can cover and how well it does it.

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

santiago53 and Flakey like this.
  15. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Trinity TC15 DIY kit. One preamp channel is AC15 top boost. The other channel is based on an older EF86 pentode AC15 preamp with a couple of Matchless tweaks thrown in. The PI and power circuits are basic AC15.

It probably deserves a better player.

rze99 and Snfoilhat like this.
  16. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

I test drove a new one when they came out. To this day I regret not buying that amp.

DFB1 likes this.
  17. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Hmmmm... .
    IMG_20190807_092956.jpg

rze99 likes this.
  18. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

I don't need anything big now so the first amp I bought in 1975, WEM Westminster IX 10 watts, is perfect. It had new valves and a thorough overhaul a few years back and I hope will see me out. The only thing it lacks is a bit of reverb, but a pedal (tc Skysurfer) does that.

20190807_190249.jpg

czech-one-2 and Wally like this.
  19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned dozens of amps over very many years and I still have a considerable "herd". Too many to enumerate here, and some are truly excellent. But the question is about the Number One amp and for me that's easy.

My default grab-and-go amp is my 1985 Sessionette SG:75 1x12 Mark II, 100% solid state, with the 2012 RetroTone mods by its original designer, Stewart Ward. When I acquired it someone had replaced the original speaker with a fairly decent Eminence, but still I took that out and replaced it with a Celestion G12H100 that I'd retained from an earlier Sessionette I'd owned.The amp is very compact, though still no lightweight. However, the RetroTone mods have made a big improvement; the amp has a fullness and richness to its sound out of all proportion to its small physical size. With very few exceptions I use it for almost all my gigs.

Sessionettes are virtually non-existent in the USA. I believe there are only about two in the whole of North America.

SG-75 RT.jpg

However, my equal Number One is the Carr Rambler 1x12 I bought not long ago, in the custom wine red finish. Very expensive here in the UK, but worth every penny to me for its outstanding build quality and sound. Nevertheless I'm reluctant to take it to most of my ordinary pub gigs because it's so good and I want to keep it pristine. But for the occasional decent club or hall with a good stage I treat myself to its glorious sound and response.

Rambler 1x12 Wine.jpg

Telebeestar likes this.
  20. denis-brazil

denis-brazil TDPRI Member

ac15 vox for clean sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.