Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Vox ac30cc2. Found the sweet spot and leave the master cranked all the way. Using a rack compressor to tame any highs or weird mids. Pairs extremely well with pedals and my guitars.

CDox likes this.
  2. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

A Fender Superchamp with factory EVM speaker, bought new from Manny's.
    If I wasn't a complete idiot I wouldn't have traded it away.

3. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

#1. Magnatone Twilighter Stereo

55debbb23a8e7679cb3e3a6fc0c28c17.jpg

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Orange Rocker 15 is the favorite amp I've owned/played.

I have owned only 4 amps though. Not like some of you owning a lot.

Fairly certain I would love to have a Fender tube amp, but I don't think they necessarily make anything that could replace my Orange.

There is really no genre of music I've tried to play that I miss anything on the Orange. The clean tone is supposedly different than Fender but it's a great clean tone of it's own.

There are a lot of amps shown here that I might love but they would be too loud in my house for me to actually love them.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

Hands down it's my (vintage) '68 Deluxe Reverb with a JBL D120F! I gig the hell out of this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hahahahaha all you civilian "guitar players"!

Two dozen is a decent number, but I don't even know how many amps I own!
    It was more than 20 the last time I did an inventory and that was more than five years ago.
    Of course in my transient youth I had fewer at a time because I kept having to move them.
    In NYC I had maybe five vintage Marshalls, two Polytone, three Fender, and some oddballs thrown in to round it out.
    Best to keep it around a dozen if you don't own a home.
    I keep reading player say stuff like "I bought an amp so I have to sell one", or, "my wife says I have too many amps so I have to sell one before I can buy one".

My condolences to all whose amp buying is limited.

There are of course those who find their routes to tonal nirvana in guitars rather than amps, you are a different breed, making a reasonable choice. Plenty of friends have one basic clean amp and numerous different kinds of guitars.
    Those friends though, they like MY amps!

As far as not buying more amps because you don't have the space?
    That's simple, get more space.
    If the family farm isn't big enough buy or rent a warehouse or rehearsal space.
    Anyone who doesn't buy more amps due to lack of space is just making excuses!

leftfoot1381, AlbertaGriff and rze99 like this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All time favorite PERIOD:

‘76 Marshall JMP 50 watt head and matching 4x12.

I still regret selling it, but if I’m being honest, I wouldn’t have used it in years at this point. Unfortunately it’s jusy not needed or practical any longer.

My number one for the last two years, which will stay in that spot unless it breaks down or something better comes along (so far nothing comes close) is my DV Mark FGC121.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Good call

Still got my JMP 50 stack. Will never sell. I used this right through the 80s 90s as my main amp before I got into pairing combos

So my favourite rig now is two amps together both cranked. My 60s Ac30 and dRRI together. Huge and awesome.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Clark Beaufort, 5E3 clone. Sold it 10 years ago when I got divorced.
    Not the most versatile amp, but so fun to play. The way it breaks up, the way it cleans up, the singing/controllable feedback...man I miss it. The cabinet was gorgeous too. Solid pine, lacquered tweed. What a gem.

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Back in the
    Back in the day, those things were the bomb! I have a Silver Face Twin Reverb with Weber Californias in it and I still love playing through it. I don't gig with it anymore(way too heavy), but I still fire it up from time to time. Loud enough to peel paint. I will never part with it.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Omahaaudio- my SuperChamp has original OEM EV. The story is my best friend and I bought one SuperChamp each on same day at Guitar Center in San Francisco the year they first came out. I sold mine in ‘86 down in Brazil. My best friend gave me his about 10 y ago. Nice friend, huh??!!

12. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

Nice, great shape! Mine got dragged around Detroit and was a lil rougher, but probably the 1 amp I'd pick if I ever had to choose one for life!

Vestal and zosofan like this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Either my HK Tubemiester36 or my Blackstar HT20 MKI . I run them in stereo, either one is great on it's own and they sound so full together it's hard for me to separate them. If it came down to it I'd lean towards the HK but not by much

14. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

The Sovtek for two reasons

1. huge but tight bottom end
    2. its got the shiniest jewel

(and I just bought it)

IMG_1401.jpg

15. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Great fun. You have not spent any time in London, England. A place where, a bit like Manhattan, a small garage in, say, South, Kensington will cost a million. Yes. I have 9 amps including a '70s Marshall stack in a modest South London house with a wife and 2 kids and all that. I AM OUT OF SPACE!

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I have the Mesa Express Plus 5:50, great at any volume. Doesn’t need pedals. I have some but it doesn’t need them.
    Great fender type cleans ,has crunch, and higher gain too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JL_LI likes this.
  17. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Rivera era champ 2. I wish I had one to gig with now. Loud as hell and tiny. It was ahead of its time and I had no idea how rare it was when I sold it.

18. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I love my Mesa Express Plus 5:50, I usually just use the five watt setting for home but it sounds great at all power levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JL_LI likes this.
  19. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

Real ‘65 DR I’ve owned since 1985. JBL E-120 and a Hammond reverb tank, biggest little amp in the world.

20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

My fave so far is a Peavey TKO bass combo. Weird, sure, I know.

It sounds pretty blah until you get the pre and post gain up around 7 or higher, at which point a few cool things happen:

1. Subtle dirt appears, enough that double stops snarl a little bit while chords still ring clear...the tone just gets harmonically interesting at this level or above;

2. Some combination of pushing the speaker and hitting the amp’s built-in DDT speaker protection limiting gives the amp a bouncy compressed cranked-amp feel that I really like...no pedal needed. I kind of think a 15” Scorpion would still be loafing with 80 watts of guitar so it’s probably the DDT kicking in. The Scorpion 15 isn’t a real bright speaker but the amp can put across plenty of highs and the net effect sounds present but not tooth-shattering.

To me this configuration sounds somewhere between the kind of tones you hear on Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance,” or maybe a dry take of REM’s “The One I Love.”

Cons: the magic I insist lives on this unlikely amp only emerges in a narrow range of cranked volume. And moving it around seriously sucks. As a bass amp it’s barely loud enough to practice with; it would probably be giggable with guitar but I haven’t tried it yet.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.