Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

This '60s Sano Supersonic is my favorite amp that I've ever owned. Got it for $200 from GC; brought it home to find it had already been recapped and was full of Amperex orange-label preamp tubes. Great reverb and tremolo. Just an all-around fine-sounding amp.

sano.jpg

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm an amp monogamist.

629D5792-2DE8-4701-91CA-3F859ABBA917.jpeg

Bandmaster Reverb, February 1970. Like a Vibrolux Reverb or Super Reverb.

I bought it for $50 at a garden store outside of Pittsburgh.

3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I don’t really have a “number 1” amp, I use all my amps for different situations, but the one I’ve had the longest is my Super Reverb. I’ve had it almost 30 years. It was beat to hell when I got it (the baffle was so warped that it got bolted in a some point) and I played that way as my main amp for years. A few years ago the cabinet started getting kinda wobbly, so I got a new cab and baffle for it from Mather. Looks as good as it sounds now. Funny thing is I probably use it the least of all my amps nowadays, but I doubt I’ll ever part with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Lol. When needed, I stick a bunch of Johnsons together in hopes I can get one up.

Back in the mid to late 90's Johnson & Digitech teamed up to make the first "High End" modeling amp. They were crazy expensive & had a huge learning curve to getting the most out of them, so obviously they weren't everyone's cup of tea.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/263223-j...uitar-amplifier-with-amp-modelers-and-effects

If someone took the time to learn all the features, what you ended up with was an amp that pretty much did everything really well & was loaded with Studio Quality effects built right it. The XLR out tones were spot on so it never needed to be mic'd for mains or monitors. It was a Tube/SS Hybrid so you could play at TV level or Stadium level & it still sounded great.

As for their reliability, they are mostly computer & partially amp. How many of us are still using their PCs from 95? Now both companies are gone (Johnson since 2005-ish???). There are no replacement parts.

Amp people won't touch them, computer people won't touch them. Effects people might try.

So, no they don't live as long as typical amps, but it was a fun ride while it lasted.

Did it sound just like the amps it was modeling? How would I know? I didn't have of them. I have a 70's Twin Reverb now & I appreciate what it does, the list of what it doesn't do is a lot longer than the JM-150.

It's effects section is still my favorite, so I've gone out & bought a Digitech 2120 just to still have access to the effects.

It did make every guitar I owned sound better (no lie). As it happens, my favorite tones in the amp were Johnson specific, so now I try to use real amps & effects to emulate the modeler. Go figure. My Bass player misses me using that amp with the band as much as I do.

Wally likes this.
  5. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

I'd have to go with my Kustom Double Cross. 20190718_183738.jpg

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. macduff

macduff TDPRI Member

My fave is my Vibrolux. But I have a Marshall 50w plexi, a 50w and 100w super lead (both white reissues)and Mesa Triple Rectifier I will never part with. It depends on what best fits the show I am playing.

7. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

My old late 60's Traynor 30 watt tube combo.
    Good cleans and lots of Marshall crunch.
    Oh Yeah, and hella LOUD as well!

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

jimytheassassin likes this.
  8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My 1965 Ampeg Reverberocket R12R-T; the last of the "top loaded" series.

Every guitar sounds good in this one! I use it in small to medium room gigs all the time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  9. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

So many choices, I currently have several custom tube amps, but the Nau combo is my current "go-to", John Nau is a local builder that really does nice work. I cannot disagree with the Johnson Millennial, heavier then hell though. I do see a Kemper in my future.

10. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I have only owned this one but I love it.

19770E8A-1FDB-4889-A781-98F027010304.jpeg

11. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

153596E7-7C77-4EF8-B3B6-FC5F2F25823E.jpeg

Sneaks, jimytheassassin and nixdad like this.
  12. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My current amp-----Evans AH-200 head with various cabinets, involving Eminence Lil Texas speakers. Best I've ever played through in over 55 years of playing.

13. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

Question for you....If you don't mind sharing your thoughts on your Vibrolux, and or versus the 65 Deluxe Reverb?

I'm a home player as well and love my 65 Twin Reverb RI, however, I owned and played both the DR and Vibrolux back in my teens and have very fond memories....But that was long, long, long time ago.......lol

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably not a popular choice but the one I’ll never sell that works for every venue and sounds great doing it is my humble Hot Rod Deluxe IV. 40lb of 40w versatile tone with a great Master and Reverb. And a functioning Mid knob.

I’ve tried about everything. “Approved” vintage Fenders, Ampegs, Marshall’s. Nothing was just right until that darn HRD.

trahx, Durtdog and G.Rotten like this.
  15. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I once had a '68 Princeton Reverb, and that was a pretty sweet amp. Also an a big fan of the Pro Jr. But after several swings from tubes to solid state and back again, one amp I've landed on three times is the Tech 21 Trademark 60. Currently have the 4x10 version, and i think this is where I'll stay.

16. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

This one... My lil 5F2-A build with these tasteful mods! The first gain stage has a selectable voicing for single coil or Humbucker pickups. She has a custom tone control that doesn't bleed much at all to ground so the gain stays up there. Plus a "Brilliance" brightness mod that lets a chimey brightness boost get in the mix but doesn't kill the negative feedback of the second gain stage.

Output transformer is the incredible Allen Amplifiers TO11S. Speaker an old well worn Eminence Alnico 10 incher.

I thought I would like this when planning it. I really love it after finishing.

_DSC0373.JPG _DSC0922.JPG

CV Jee Beez, ndcaster and Random1643 like this.
  17. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

well..made an honest assessment tonight after jamming, a/b plexi & this.back n forth.if i had to keep just 1..the answer is the 1973 Fender Super Reverb..it is gritty on Normal & 3d clean on Trem. The Jupiter 10sc just make this amp amazing..long time marshall player with some cool ones. But can get my cleans & nasties with this..just a tiny bump with a RAT or J&H for leads...all guitars sound great into it..that is the cool part, it brings out each guitars character...strumming chords or nice OD & singing leads 74SRstudio.jpg Optimized-74SFR2 (2).jpg

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I can’t have a favorite....sorry. My latest ‘favorite’ is a circa 1961-1961 Premier Super 88. I have other favorites, too....as many here seem to have. Super Champ, Pro Sonic, single EL84 Caliphone record player/P.A. Adaptation, 1966 Alamo Fury...and for a 5 watt single-ended...1964 Rickenbacker B9A. The B9A is the most special in many ways......solid copper chassis, superior 3 x lifetime construction, great sounds...and an OEM Jensen C12Q in a single 6V6 amp!!! It makes Vibrochamps go and hide! LOL...
    Should I vote the same as an earlier poster...whichever of my amps I am playing through at the time??.
    It might be the 1964 Dual Showman that is sitting in a 2X10 Pro Sonic cab...with some mods for magic!!! Wait....what about the 1954 Gibson Les Paul GA-40? See.....you can have more than one favorite amp...you don’t have to marry just one of them!!!!, eeeeehaw...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  19. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Man I wanna hang out with bftfender more and more!

PS I have heard a lot of great things about the Jupiter speakers… a little joint effort I think with WGS but custom and sweet sounding.

I called them to test the waters on a low wattage alnico and they took the time to answer my questions.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  20. surf_jimi

surf_jimi TDPRI Member

I play surf music so the best tone I ever had was a 1968 Dual Showman Reverb head with Marshall 4x12 cab. Why did I get rid of that head for $350? Seemed like a good idea at the time. Duh

Sax-son and Tommy Biggs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.