Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I have several decent amps, nothing very expensive:
    Fender Excelsior
    Fender Super Champ 25se
    Fender SC X2
    Marshall Origin 20

My favorite though is my
    Fender Mustang I

The only other amp purchase I might consider would be a Mustang II.

2. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I own 2 dozen amps, so I will have my Top 3:

Gold Medal: 1961 Fender Tremolux 6G9A(8 Ohm) with a Tone Ring Cabinet(12 inch speaker is in mine). 35 watts of Fullerton perfection. Every guitar just sounds great through this amp. I own a 6G2 and 6G3, but the Tremolux is my favorite.

Silver Medal: 1979: Hiwatt SA-112-This amp makes you into a better player because a Hiwatt exposes your flaws. Super loud and clear. Just an awesome amp.

Bronze Medal: 1967 Fender Deluxe Reverb: Best all around guitar amp ever made? That's arguable, but a good Deluxe Reverb is hard to beat.

3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

the one i'm playing thru is always the best. same with my guitars.

play music!

MisterZ, nosuch, richey88 and 3 others like this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Awesomeness !!

jonnyfez likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Ahh man...looks like home to me !! Nice !!

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's a tossup between my '71 VR and my '67 SR. They both bring different things to the table, so it's hard to really pick one over the other.

czech-one-2 likes this.
  7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Me too. I have other toys like a 5e3 and a SFVR that might take the throne someday, but my Vox normal channel is just musical whether clean or cranked.

stnmtthw likes this.
  8. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Hard for me to believe but I've owned Brownface, Blackface and Silverface Fenders - but my Roland Blues Cube Stage is my favorite. Size, sound, options - it's the keeper.

markal likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Have to go with two "eras" for me.....first era in late 60's-early 70's, when I was playing LOUD....my early Black Face Super Reverb.....I believe I coulda played Shea Stadium with that.
    Second era in mid eighties to late nineties.....BF Deluxe Reverb. Coulda played Shea Stadium with that one too, just a lot quieter. ;)

Slip Kid and brookdalebill like this.
  10. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Yamaha THR10C everyday for the 20 minutes I get to play.

Sneaks, Honest Charley and MilwMark like this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My beloved, mojo-less, 8 year old, versatile, dependable, fairly cheap Roland Cube 80XL is the grooviest amp I’ve ever owed.
    The best tube “rock” amp was a 1969 Marshall 100w plexi that I owned in high school.
    I played it through two Orange 4-12 cabinets.
    The best small tube amp was a 1970 SF Deluxe Reverb a previous owner put in a beautiful dovetailed curly maple cabinet with a wicker grille, a la Mesa Boogie.
    If I could only have one amp from here on out, it would be the Cube.
    It does everything I need to do, including looping.

12. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

I've owned and played through countless amps over the years including some holy grail types. What I found really matters is the bonding between amp and guitar and the suitability for the gig.

For my 70's classic rock covers band a '57 LP junior into a '65 Marshall was just perfect and still sends shivers down my spine when I think of it. Sadly both have now departed but I can assure you that the proceeds went to a worthy cause :cry:

My late 70's strat into a Boss ME6 into an early 60's non TB AC30 was a stage in my musical life that I'm still trying to forget. Unfortunately the Vox never got the love it deserved and went to a better place whereas the strat died on stage in front of a very small audience o_O The last ME6 that sold on fleabay went for £50 GBP which is about £51 GBP more than it is actually worth :twisted:

Best of all was playing in a 3 piece rhythm/blues pub band with my '63 tele though a Cornford Hurricane. The perfect combination for that gig and the great times have to make the Cornford my #1.

My current gig has me playing through a HX Stomp with in ear monitors. It pays the bills but it's just not the same :(

Sean Mac likes this.
  13. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

81 Vibrolux Reverb.

14. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My 1990 Fender ‘63-reissue Vibroverb has been my #1 since I bought it new-in-the-box in 1992.

Works equally well for harp and guitar, loud enough for any venue and quiet enough to use for jams, practice, etc. Takes pedals well. Looks good. Small enough to be portable.

The only other #1 (so I guess it was a 1.5?) I ever owned was a 1972-ish Fender Bassman Ten...it ripped and roared, it was big and fat and funky and thick and bright...and weighed more than my sister-in-Law after an all-you-can-eat buffet. I sold it to make a mortgage payment.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

.?????? I learned long before these amps came out that a dead Johnson is useless. Eeeehaw....

I have never heard one of these. By your description of their reliability, I probably never will.

mcfree and dannyh like this.
  16. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i have owned some cool amps. but i have not yet hit my for-real-my-one-and-true amp. i keep thinking super reverb, but i don't really have any experience with them.

17. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

For an amp currently owned by me for my style of play, the Tube Amp Factory's 14-watt combo with reverb is my #1, my desert island amp - so it's a good thing most palm trees are wired for 120V. 12AX7 dual triode @ preamp, 12AU7 @ driver & phase inverter, 6V6-driven @ output, push-pull, Class A design. Runs quiet, nice clarity and balance, takes pedals well even at low volumes. A prototype amp hand-made in Delaware, Ohio, USofA. Usually mic @ gigs with an SM57. Pic of controls below.

Honorable Mention (copied from another TDPRI thread): I was in a band for a while that practiced in an old studio above a music store. The store owner parked a bunch of instruments and amps there that were set aside to pay for his retirement but we were okay to use during practice. I latched on to a TV Front Princeton, ?late-40s-early-50s?, 8" speaker. Sounded just amazing with any guitar. Had what our lead player called "natural compression." A tight, focused, balanced sound that I loved. Kind of a one-trick pony, but so sweet. Tried to buy prior to my retirement; that went nowhere.

[​IMG]

teletimetx and Tommy Biggs like this.
  18. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Back before I knew much about amps at all, I came across a more-than-a-little-bit used silverface Pro Reverb in a pawn shop for $175. (It was the '80s.) Someone had grafted a red knob on it that I believe was a master volume, but I can't be sure anymore. The thing is, I'd been playing a Peavey Vintage 410 for 5-6 years and it was the first time I'd ever plugged into a Fender. WOW! I was a changed man and player after that.

I eventually traded it on when it started to get cranky on me, and I regretted it almost immediately. Ever since, I've kept an eye out for a SF Pro with a little red knob on it. *sniff*

19. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Back in the day, in bands, it was my 1977 Marshall JMP 2204 and a 1983 Marshall JCM800 4104. Those two just stood out.

Now, being a mostly at home player, it’s my Marshall Astoria and my two BF Fenders (Vibrolux Reverb and Deluxe Reverb). All three amps are outstanding.

0145191A-6C38-4E80-AD50-F0D5F09B6FEF.jpeg F670B07C-FD94-4D7B-B1AD-B7F94988A71F.jpeg C771793E-7D40-4A8A-B012-A1431F8BC3A2.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  20. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

For the last 5 years straight its been nothing but Carvin Belair for me.

I haven't bought any new amps in a number of years. I still gig but not as frequently as I once did so my desires to buy have subsided because my gig money has drastically decreased.

My Carvin beats out my Twin Reverb Reissue every time. The twin is probably my least favorite tube amp. I would say my second place amp is my Kustom Coupe 72 which in my opinion is very similar to a twin but with a drive channel and all the luxuries that are much more gig friendly. My 3rd place amp is my PV Classic 30 head which because of its small size and light weight gets taken to a lot of gigs as a back up to my Carvin but the PV hasn't been needed or used at a gig in years. Fourth would be my twin.

My other amps sound good but my Carvin just sounds better with my gear. I think when the Carvin goes out its going to take something from Mesa Boogie, Dr Z or maybe even Matchless to compete.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.