Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Once again, the answer (for me) is Pignose. I've had my Legendary 7-100 forever, even when it was the only amp I could have around, and it always works and always sounds good.

2. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

First amp was a early 70s Fender Twin Reverb, traded that toward a ‘78 Orange OR-120 with 2 cabs 412 & 410... played them for more than twenty years, why I sold them I’ll never really know, but I’ve been chasing that sound again ever since.
    Simple.
    018F3CE1-1434-44E6-96D8-B35A01116CE6.jpeg
    Extraordinary.

3. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

Vox AC30C2X

i’ve had it for 9 years and it’s never let me down. she’s a keeper

codamedia likes this.
  4. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

Hard to say exactly... but.... either the 2x10 '65 Bassman "combo" I built up which was highly modified, taking out the interstage negative feedback, or... the 4x10 modified 5F4 I built up. Both of those are the cats patootie.

5F1 with a 12" is good too. And I had a Tremolux in a 2x10 combo cabinet that really rocked too. Close #2's.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I just wish it wasn't so complicated.

[​IMG]

The rocking runner ups. I just with they weren't so damned complicated. The Avatar cab for the head has two Creambacks. You just turn the little head up to 10 and ride the volume on a single coil guitar. Heavenly.

[​IMG]

black_doug likes this.
  6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Can’t name one because I’m a Marshall / Fender guy.

4FC3EB9D-D108-409C-BE79-09233FA62E99.jpeg

A Marshall Astoria Classy (Handwired, 30 watts, KT66’s, and a Celestion Creamback)

0870F319-60FD-4E7A-88FE-103F59FA3E34.jpeg

My near mint 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb.

deus56 likes this.
  7. Tsquared

Tsquared TDPRI Member

IMG_0153.JPG

Copperhead speaker.

jimash likes this.
  8. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

my sovtek mig 50 - i should never have sold it. nothing has ever come close for stellar cleans or ridiculous filth.

9. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

I want to swing by the store on the way home from work to test a guitar. I want to use my own amp so I packed my 200 watt head in my small backpack this morning, next to the work laptop and my headphones.

Did I mention that it sounds great too? :D

10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I find my Victoria Tweed Deluxe is the best. More reliable than my ‘58, I get the tone I’m after turned up to 3. My ‘58 gets tired after 45 minutes. My 1980 handwired Black Face Deluxe Reverb hits the tonal sweet spot around 5-8. That’s a bit too loud playing with the country band.

With a larger, louder Blues band, I rely on my PRS H Series 50 watt Head to compete with the Hammond and Leslie.

11. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Quilter Mach 2 head. I’m dead serious.

I’ve been playing for 35+ years and have owned many iconic amps, as well as some fancy boutique stuff.

The Quilter is not perfect, but after finding the right speaker (Eminence EM12) for me I’ve never been happier.

No maintenance, light as a feather, sounds the same every time I use it. I’ve got it dialed in for a lovely edge of breakup sound, and overdrive pedals sound great in front of it. The effects loop is fantastic too. Killer amp for under a grand.

Tsquared and Cerb like this.
  12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I was going to say my Clark Beaufort 5E3 (sold it long ago, regretfully) would be my #1, based on how much fun it was to play cranked up. But, not the most versatile amp. I’ve had a few Tweed Deluxes, and I really miss having one. I can’t think of another amp that’s more dynamic or fun to play.

13. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

My favorite of all time was the Seymour Duncan Convertible. I used it with a ‘’59 Les Paul TV Special. Been searching for that sound ever since I let them both go.

Mincer likes this.
  14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I’d have to go with a Gibson Invader GA 30 RVT
    It had 1x12 and 1x10. I replaced the speakers with Celestion Greenbacks IIRC.
    Sweetest tone I’ve ever made, I had an Ibanez law suit era Strat and a Gibson gold top Les Paul with
    Mini- humbuckers.

15. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Today I'd say my 1973 Twin is one of my all-time faves. Don't ask me next month...

IMGP8513.JPG

16. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

I have the same feelings about my Quilter OD200!

D_Malone likes this.
  17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

It changes as much as the musical application.
    In the 90s and early 00s it was my Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber + which had a perfect hifi clean tone and helped me make a living playing music. I wanted a little more compression and sold it. Then in a nostalgic move I bought another, played it for two gigs and sold it.
    A Vox AC 30 was my fave for a little time, but I found out I prefer the "Fender tone".
    The best amp for my obsession with compression and a little dirt must be my "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb. I loved the breakup but it comes with a price: Loudness. Me and the band loved it for some time. But honestly, I don't want to play that loud any more. I still use it at moderate volume with a clean tone. I'm not crazy about the hiss.
    If the #1 is the amp mostly used it will be my humble blues jr. It is enough amp for most of the gigs we do these days. It gives me clean or a little crunch as needed without extensive volume. It is a perfect home amp too. And it is dead quiet.

18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

mid 60's blackface super reverb , original 4 X 10 speakers, stole my heart .

19. stevekolt

stevekolt TDPRI Member

No doubt, my Fuchs ODS 50 Watt, built by Andy in his basement before the factory era. Cured my amp GAS...

20. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Cheapo - Vox Pathfinder 15R. I’ve got two of these 15w amps sitting about 15 feet apart with an ABY so one guitar will play through both amps simultaneously.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.