Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Been through 26 amps now, mostly Fenders and clones of Fenders. The two that stand out in a relative tie are a SF Twin Reverb and a Quad 6v6 mod '64 Bandmaster. I love cleans and both of these amps are clean and smooth as the day is long. Right now I always end up playing both of them back to back in my practice sessions unable to choose between them.

It is funny really, I grew up listening to all the talk about Tweeds and all that great break-up of certain amps only to discover that my favorites are the ones that get very little love on the internet. At some point, I might just sell off all the other stuff and settle into my groove with my top 2 favorites. Never discount an amp because the forums call them inferior, you have to play them yourselves.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    BobbyZ likes this.
  2. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

If I’m picking one, I’m going with a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100w head and a 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30’s. Honorable Mention: Blackstar HT Club 40 w/ Celestion Vintage 30 (special edition). Don’t underestimate the Blackstar.

3. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Mid 70s era Fender Super Twin Reverb. I hauled that thing all over the Detroit area for 10 years. I still have it but I've canabalized it. I loaded one of it's speakers into a 1x12 cab and use it for small club jazz gigs with a Quilter TB200. Sounds great.

BobbyZ and TeleFunk Man like this.
  4. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Ouch, I feel your back pain.

Rich724 likes this.
  5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I've owned/played many amps over the years, my most versatile amp, (my #1 amp now), is a Marshall DSL40C (yes, it's a PCB amp), and if I want Fender tones, (as in country/surf), it's a Fender '65 BF PRRI in tweed w/12" Cannabis Rex speaker (my #2 amp). these are the ones I'm staying with till my last breath!
    IMG_0190 (2).JPG

stevemc likes this.
  6. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

JTM 45, no question!

7. Blues63

Blues63 TDPRI Member

My Sixty-five 210 was all valve, and I remember trying to find 12AX7's for it in the middle of the Aussie outback. Mine was a very early model that one shop owner claimed may have been built by Leo himself.

8. Blues63

Blues63 TDPRI Member

Yes, mine was all-valve with EL-34 output valves - they went to 6L6's later on. I have only seen two examples since the eighties, and one was clapped out and the other was over-priced. It had a valve preamp; valve driven reverb and tremolo. Someone once told me it was basically a Vibrolux copy.

If I recall correctly, the RD series was all valve and the HD series had a solid state preamp, thus their designation as hybrids.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

As I noted..
    Although I have heard one other reference to an all-tube MM map, I have never seen one nor have I seen a schematic for one.
    https://schematicheaven.net/post70s.html

There are some MM maps that carry one 12AX7. In one ‘50’ model, that tube is a gain stage in the pr amp. In others, the 12AX7 functions as a driver/phase inverter.

Blues63, how many 12A-7’s did that amp you owned have?

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Great stuff! First port of call I suggest is Stewart Ward's Sessionette web page: http://www.award-session.com/sessionette.php. Plenty of relevant info there and a good video or two as well. I happen to know Willy Finlayson and I met the late Dean Barnes once as well. Nice guy and great player.

Anyway, I digress. If you're extremely lucky, Stewart might just have a Retrotoned Sessionette for sale. Otherwise, I don't know whether ready-RetroToned Sessionettes pop up for sale often in the usual places. If not, you should still be able to pick up an unmodded '80s example in decent nick and good working order at reasonable cost from an eBay seller or similar. Then detach the chassis – not at all difficult – and take or send it to Stewart's place close to Basingstoke. Best to exchange e-mails first rather than just dropping in. A short while later the amp will have been upgraded and updated, with the result that I find so outstandingly excellent.

Good luck!

rze99 likes this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you great info!

12. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My Z-Lux but my Custom Vibrolux Reverb with the Vibroverb mod is right there with it.

13. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I was playing mine this afternoon. It is a really nice amp.

pondcaster likes this.
  14. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Favorite SS: Pignose Crossmix 150r(designed by Paul Rivera)

Favorite Tube: I have four Rivera's, but my current favorite is the Rivera Clubster 25 Duo (not as versatile as my Knuckleheads or Fandango, but simple and continues to give me lots of pleasure.)

15. SparkleFart

SparkleFart TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Matchless Lightning 1x12!

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

deus56, rze99 and drmmrr55 like this.
  16. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

3rd Power Kitchen Sink, hands down. 40W, two channels (Marshall, which can go from JTM45 chime to hot-rodded JCM800 kerrang and a Vox/Fender channel, with a blend knob for the two voices of the second channel), killer Master Volume (zero tone suck), great FX loop. Not a bad sound to be found in it. Everything from beautiful cleans to killer kerrang and everything in between. Dylana Nova is a flipping genius.

Coming in a close 2nd and 3rd:

Tex Bernie CC Tremolo - killer 1x10 20W EL84 combo based loosely on a modified Filmosound 385 projector amp. It starts with chimey, slightly hairy clean with nods to both a vintage Vox AC or a 5e5 Tweed Pro and progressing up to a Brittish grime that recalls both a cranked vintage AC15 and some Plexi grind layered in. And its a LOUD 20Wer.

Tex Bernie "Junior" 10W EL90 one-off. A full Tex Bernie circuit biased down to 10W with a set of EL90s and in the smaller cabinets used for the 5W Tex Mini. Most of the tone of its big brother at lower volumes. It can be touch boxy if the volume is way down low, due to the smaller cabinet, but let it breath a little air and it shines for dirty-clean tones up to some pretty tasty crunch.

17. markjames

markjames TDPRI Member

Early 60s AC30 (Or TWO Early 60s AC30s to be precise...they sounded amazing together!)........Closely followed by JCM900 Head & 4 x 12..!....

18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

19. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

My DIY Champ and Silvertone 1482 together along with my peadalboard. Every guitar a run through it sounds awesome. Platefire

20. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

I got a 64 Bassman head, stuck it in a Larry Rogers 2x10 cabinet with a pair of Celestion Vintage 10s (UK mfg). Took out the interstage negative feedback, a few other tweaks like adjusting values of the coupling caps in the phase inverter, and ran it with 12AX7WB Sovteks, JAN Philips 12AT7, and nos Mullard KT66 big bottles.

It dripped de bluuz.

And you could feel "the wind" on your legs off those Celestions a good six feet away when it was cranked.

And.... The ex got it. :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.