Of all the amps you have owned or used, which is #1 ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 1, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Which one stands out in the crowd of all you have owned or still own ?

Over my tenure I have owned and played thru many amps, many many amps. Twin Reverbs, Super Reverbs, to Super Beatles to PV's, Carvins, Music Mans , Ampegs, various Fenders etc,

So which is #1, for me , my style ? An amp thats not even mine but rather my band mates !

my #1 - Dr Z Maz 18 jr.

I own and use a Dr Z Maz 38 Senior and that comes in 2nd to the Maz 18 jr. The 18 has an inherent growl that can be dialed in at a bit lower volume than the 38. I'm talking about with NO PEDALS as well.

Will I grab one down the road, most likely but owning the 18 and 38 may cause a mental conflict !

so, what say yee ?

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Marshall 1974x.
    The epitome of the telecaster CLEAN tone.
    There is something in the tone stack,power amp and speaker of this amp that balances so well with vintage Tele pickups.
    And yes I have owned every bf and SF Fender under the sun....
    Second best for clean Tele sound is my Tweed Deluxe.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

The 18-watt Plexi I built. Combined with the Strymon Flint reverb/trem pedal I could sell off all my others except the '67 Princeton Reverb and be happy the rest of my life.

Well, I could...but I won't of course. Not for the forseeable.

4. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1967 Princeton Reverb. Bought it in 1986 for $200 - back when no one wanted them. I'd sell every guitar before selling this amp. IMG_E9713.jpg

NewKid, horseman308, aux8 and 20 others like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Mesa MKIIi....

No..... my ‘79 Marshall JMP 50w.....

No.. The Mesa... urghhh

Gigged the Mesa more and it has earned its keep doing big rock opera shows in London for a few years. It’s my No. 1. but mostly retired these days.

A Marshall DSL does gig duties these days.

But the girl waiting at home is Mrs Mesa.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Owenmoney and Tommy Biggs like this.
  6. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic

Super Reverb with Jensen's, Blackface , bought new around 1965

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

Bass amp owned. I used to own an Aria Loco combo. They don't get a lot of love, but that thing could blow candles out at 50 paces!. I gave it to a young lad I worked with as he needed an amp, and I no longer used it. he seemed very happy with it.
    Bass amp played. 'Use our amps, don't bother bringing yours'. It was a Marshall full stack of some description. Brutally loud. No bass through the PA. I could feel more than hear it. I don't know the exact model, but think 'Murder One' and you're about there. I want that sound in my life.

Guitar amp owned. My WF-55. Input jack, volume control, speaker jack. No frills, no glitz, glamour or things to tweak. Plug in, switch on, grin. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.
    Guitar amp played. Tough. There are three fighting for the top spot. A Laney Lionheart L5-112 stole the hearts of many. It was an early model, with spring reverb. That 5 Watt monster was heard clearly through the noise of everything else going off around it. It was outgunned by some Fender thing, a drummer, keyboards and bass, yet its voice could be heard. Want an example of 'cut through the mix'?, that was it.
    A Roland JC-120 ( I think ) If you ever get to turn the volume up to three quarters on a JC-120, prepare for a number of things. Firstly, your trousers will flap. Secondly, your hearing will begin complaining. Thirdly, you'll realise just how damn good solid state can be. I turned the chorus on and beat 'Come As You Are' with a stick until it submitted to my will ( drunken lock in after a band/jam night ). Fantastic amp, if somewhat more than I'll ever need.
    A Matamp MiniMat. A Champ clone in head format. One of the amps that twisted my will toward building the WF-55. A glorious box of tone.

czech-one-2 likes this.
  8. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My 6G2 - 1962 Princeton. No contest.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

BFDR, or BFD no reverb, no contest. Used 90% or more of the time.

strats62, Tommy Biggs and nojazzhere like this.
  10. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Vox AC15C1 with a Celestion Greenback.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I made one of those. Modded with tone control, cathode bypass boosts, power scaling and variable NFB. Through a 12” Celestion Blue with a mid ‘60s mullard ECC83 and a 50’s RCA 6V6, it’s got the best pure tube amp tones I’ve ever heard.

VintageSG likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't own them anymore, but I had a Marshall JCM900 50W head, and a Marshall JCM800 50W 12" combo that sounded nearly identical, and both are tied as my #1 amps.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

1987 now 2204 4 holer..it's just all things rock PL (4).jpg

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

'90s Ampeg J-12T.

Bought it new in '94, or maybe '95. It was $350 or $400.

It has been my main guitar amp since. I have owned, and still do own, many amps that "should" sound better...but they do not. Nor have they been as reliable.

Its tone is perfection. Its only problem is that it is too quiet for use in a full rock band.

Southpaw Tele and CV Jee Beez like this.
  15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. 25 watts isn’t crazy at home. It’s just right. It lets me play clean with a little edge on the tone. Fender clean is a little too clean at low volume. I can play clean crazy loud if I use my Keeley 4 knob compressor as a clean boost. It’s the only pedal I use with it. Would I recommend it to someone else? I use my guitar to accompany myself on vocals. If you do that and want what I want, the Express is perfect. But everyone expressing an opinion here is just saying what works best for them. What’s great about all this is how much variety is available and how many of those amps are good enough to be rated #1.

16. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

1950 Gibson GA8 Gibsonette. 8Watts dual single ended 12" Jensen. Perfect cranked with Gibsons and Fenders.

CV Jee Beez and Random1643 like this.
  17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It’s either the Mark V or the Kemper. Depends on the time of day and barometric pressure in the region.

18. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

'74 Marshall JMP 1992 Super Bass with PPIMV and one wire mod (for higher gain) and a '78 2203, stock, my gigging amp for 18 years before I found the Super Bass..the SB had a half conversion to Super Lead Specs (split cathode/bright cap installed), 2203 was all Stock. I used all old British glass in them as well..except the Super Bass had a Tungsram in VI (and 6550s..beast is an understatement...)
    20170528_165146_HDR-1 (1).jpg

19. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

1965 Vibrolux Reverb, just awesome.

20. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I bet this one will be shunned.

I'm a Fender guy for the most part.

I currently own a 410 Hot Rod DeVille, a 75 Twin Reverb, an early 90's "The Twin", an Orange Micro Dark, a Kustom Solo 16R, a Johnson JT50 Mirage & a Johnson Millennium 150.

I've had a few other amps, but my favorite is .................. The Johnson Millennium of which I've had 6.

Now the reason I've had 6 is that they're old & the Co folded a long time ago. There are no parts & very few experienced in servicing them, so like everything else in that kind of situation they are all failing.

Most of the amps I currently own I've owned before. When I got my first JM-150 I found I had no interest in any of the other amps & sold them. Of course once I couldn't keep my Johnson up I bought them all again.

So the JM-150 stays at my house for my own enjoyment with a "Stack of Dead Johnsons " (might be my next band name) in the basement to harvest parts from.

All the other amps are fine, but I'm always trying to figure out how to get them to sound like the sounds I get from the JM-150.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.