OEM 5E5 Output transformer specs

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Intubator, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I'm building a slightly modified 1955 5E5 tweed clone and was wondering if anyone has the exact specs for the primary and secondary impedances as well as the exact wattage rating for the OT? I have found one that I believe is close but only rated at 25W, I think the original was 30W?.. Thanks!

2. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

No idea of the original specs, but just wanted add that transformers have impedance _ratios_, not impedances. You need something around 500:1 to 550:1 rated for the wattage you'll be creating. Just keep in mind if you're using a modern power transformer, the wattage produced will be quite a bit higher than the old original ones. An example it's not unusual for a 5f4 to produce just over 40 watts when using iron that's more commonly available.

3. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

And I should have added the impedance ratios assume an 8 ohm speaker.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

5E5 or 5E5A?? Whichever, Mercury Magnetics would be my choice for the OT. +1 with
    RottenTheCat’s observation that the PT needs to be selected with care. MM would have the details for that as well. They don’t share those details, but they build to the specs.....and adjust for voltage differences.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.