Odd trend in amp ads

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Count, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Anyone come across this oddity in amp ads. In the last two days I have seen ads posted that quote the amps power consumption as the amps output power. The first ad was for a Frontman 10G 28watt, the second was for a Bandmaster VM 180 watt. The first one was posted by a young child so there is some excuse, but the second was from a musical instrument store. Just curious to see if anyone else has come across this. I can understand the error when the advertiser knows nothing about guitar amps and just reads what is written on the back plate, but for a music store to do it makes me wonder.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen that for a hundred years in classified ads, and now CraigsList......never seen a retailer do it, but then, I don't often look at store ads.

BobbyZ and W.L.Weller like this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

i have jmp50 that can peak at 75+

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

And if that Marshall has the power consumption in watts on the back panel by the AC input, which I can’t recall whether it does or not, it would read 150-200 watts, I would guess.

Count, as nojazzhere notes people have been misinterpreting and/or misusing that consumption number for output power ever since those consumption numbers have been printed on the back panel.....even if as on vintage BF/SF Fenders the output watt number is printed over by the speaker output jacks.

nojazzhere, radiocaster and bftfender like this.
  5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Yep very common, I see it often from music stores (as opposed to guitar shops) that hire H.S. band/orchestra kids as part time staff. They often are not familiar w/ "combo" instruments, and receive little training out side of working the till. It pops up on hang tags, and such. Actually a easy mistake to make if you think about it; how many here could 'hit the ground running" and accurately describe a used violin that was marked " Antonius Stradivarius cremonensis faciebat anno 1716" Simply means that the $200 gut box you are holding was inspired by such a instrument.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, i was thinking actual watts to the speakers, and slamming the front end in these beastly amps really puts some power out !! I love gigging with my 1 friend at outdoor gigs, he dimes his twin and man is it nasty in all the right ways.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

WAIT!!!...you mean that Strad on CraigsList ISN'T legitimate?????

Straydogger and Wally like this.
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Maybe....maybe not.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I'm typically more concerned with the ads that misspell words that are printed directly on the item that's being sold

"Squire Stradocaster"
    "Peevy Amplifier"
    "Epiphany Less Pawl"

Though, you can often find hot deals if you search typos like "gutiar" or "guiter"

Straydogger and jackinjax like this.
  10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I had a guy once tell me a Frontman 25 was a 75 Watt amp. "It says right here, 75W", he says, pointing to the back, where it is clearly labeled "input power". I guess the 25 in the name was just a meaningless model number. I bought it anyway, cause it was on sale for 30 bucks.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Look at the quarter, look at this nickel -- 30!

Mouth likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Many people unknowingly post the labeled consumption watts from the amp back.

13. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I see it constantly on Craigslist

Straydogger likes this.
  14. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I didn't realise it was such a common mistake. Just saw another where a Fender RAD amp is claimed to have 75 watts output when the label on the back clearly says input. On thought just struck me, we have here the makings of a whole new thread on possible misinterpretations of Amp manufacturers labelling as in Fully Modified 212 watt Regular. :)

15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

2oqrf8.jpg

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  16. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

Well, if this thing is 500 watts

tempsnip.jpg

Then a Marshall JMP50 must be, like, 50,000 because watts measure how loud something is, right?

17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Ever since the 70's, when audio (stereo, auto, and PA) amp manufacturers were claiming their 50 watt amps were 1000 watts or more because they could put out that amount at 1khz at 50% distortion for 1ms before self destructing, the Gov't has required makers to state RMS power over what frequency range and at what distortion level, to accurately reflect real continuous power output under actual conditions. But, guitar amp makers weren't part of that Gov't. regulation, so they can still fudge power levels in their specs. There's an interesting bit about just that in Ritchie Fliegler's book about guitar amps and their history, "Amps!, the other half of Rock and Roll".
    And some audio manufacturers still cheat, using RMS, 20-20khz at some reasonable distortion level for the specs of the two main (front left and right) channels of their surround sound receivers, but still cheat on the surround channels specs.

18. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I'm thinking a 500 watt Pyle is... well a pile.

19. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I had someone spam everyone at work looking for a "pritner cartrigde". I offered him a dictionary.

There's good deals occasionally found on "full size" gutiars, often needing one string. Got a Strat copy for 25 bucks that way.

20. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

Underrated amp. No brainer for $30. Dime the mids and drop treble and bass to 1. Tiny real spring reverb built onto circuit board. Replace speaker w Ragin Cajun and ignore eq suggestions.

Blue Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.