Odd occurrence with my otherwise super-nice neighbor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Not particularly.

Yeah, there are all kinds or reasonable explanations. I just wasn't expecting him to sort to dismiss me entirely. This doesn't change my opinion of him being a basically nice guy.

Vibrolux59 and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would sleep on it for a while and if still bothered a handful of nuts and bolts in the grass would fix his little red wagon.:twisted:

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I learned my "lawnmower" lesson years ago. I had this weird neighbor and he asked if he could borrow my lawnmower because someone "stole" his lawnmower.

He says, "I'll even fill it with gas and oil when I'm done", so I let him use it and he returned it later that day.

The next time I went to start it, it wouldn't start and was spitting oil out the carburetor.

I checked the oil, and the moron had filled it way beyond the "Do Not Overfill" warning on the dipstick. I had to drain almost a quart of excessive oil out of it before it would run.

It has leaked oil ever since, because it blew a gasket. Not only does it leave an oil spot in the shed, but I also have to add oil every time I use it. I don't think anyone stole "his" lawnmower, they probably stole theirs back. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    bender66 likes this.
  4. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

The nerve of that guy! Recommending Husqvarna mowers?! Chainsaws - yes; mowers - no!

rangercaster and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. IrishTeleDan

IrishTeleDan TDPRI Member

Feel free to tackle mine too at some stage

william tele likes this.
  6. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    I think his response was a little odd. Could have been more diplomatic, but that's a trait a lot of people don't have.
    I get the not wanting to loan tools, guitars, amps, cars, etc. A lot of my things were hard to acquire and/or cost a bundle and some have sentimental value. I try not to loan my stuff unless I really trust the person.
    Once you try to do someone a favor and they either damage your stuff out of neglect or "forget" to return it, it's easy to be a "once bit, twice shy" kind of person.
    If he's a good neighbor otherwise, I'd just forget about it. He's probably been stung by someone.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

As a boy, I loaned out both my slot cars to others and hadn't gotten them back yet, and the rainy day opportunity to go over and race cars came and a boy down the street, Kurt, offered me his. Only it wouldn't run when I got all the way over there and I spent my own money (and money borrowed from my friend Gary) and fixed his car up and raced it. Thing was, I spent 45 minutes getting his car up and running and only got to race about 1/3 the time the other kids with me did.

I bring the fellow his slot car back later in the day, and he begins whining over my having messed up his car. My takeaway is, be careful who you lend to and borrow from.

8. IrishTeleDan

IrishTeleDan TDPRI Member

This is probably the best analysis of the situation.

9. Allan Allan

Allan Allan TDPRI Member

I went to a Chinese restaurant to grab lunch this week. While I was waiting for my takeout 2 construction workers came in, looked at the menu, talked about how Chinese food doesn't even fill you up and left without ordering. Why when come into the restaurant if you don't like Chinese? Then an older couple came in and did the same thing ?!?! I'm still trying to figure the whole thing out.

10. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Maybe he didn't hear you right. Sometimes people say things I don't fully hear, but instead of double checking I just smile, nod and say "yeah". People probably think I'm weird... and this just fits that perception.

11. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I wouldn't worry about it.

I went on a little vacation a couple of years ago and asked my neighbor if he could keep an eye on my house while I was gone. I wasn't expecting anyone to be there and to call the police if they saw anyone on my property.

He was nice enough to do that but took it upon himself to cut my grass. I had ordered Directv and they had marked off the underground utility lines coming to my house. The guy ran over the markers so I couldn't tell where the utility lines had been. I had to dig a path to where the satellite dish was going to be installed in the back yard so it was a guessing game.

So maybe something like that was going on.

12. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    That's kind of like the people who open threads here at TDPRI or The Gear Page, read the posts, and then post "I don't care for the subject matter or person this thread is about. I don't get it. But, carry on!"
    OR "I think _____ sucks, is a bad person, is over-rated, doesn't do a thing for me, etc.".

13. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Let it go ... Fuhget about it ..

14. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

When we bought our house 30 years ago I didn't have much in the way of tools. Especially power tools. When I needed one my wife would say " Just borrow my brothers." Then I would say "If I do borrow it and break it then I have to buy two." That shut her up. :)

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  15. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

simple, you have your Missus talk to his Missus, and betcha come next time your lawn needs mowin, it'll be done lol

16. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Funny!

17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^^
    This.

@getbent once felled a tree for a neighbor, just to be neighborly, and received a bottle of knob creek in return. I collect goodwill stories and think about them to remember how to behave

stratoman1 likes this.
  18. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Well the bit about telling you where the nearest store is is a bit over the top. The rest could just be that his mower is about to die too. I got to the point with my last mower that I cut as little as possible with it because I knew it was about to go. That might make me be reluctant to take you up on your offer. Just a wild a** guess.

19. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Maybe there was something wrong with his mower and he didn’t feel like fixing it so he was coming over to borrow yours. Then when he sees yours is broken he decides to go fix his and mow.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  20. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I really like push mowers. When they are sharp, they're a joy. Also good exercise for the physically intimidating types, so there's that.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.