Odd occurrence with my otherwise super-nice neighbor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I just went out to mow my yard.

After less than a lap around the yard, I noticed something wrong with a front wheel. After taking the wheel assembly apart, I determined that the bearing shaft was broken. Ordered a new part (actually two new ones... might as well replace both sides at the time time).

While I was in the middle of it all, my very nice neighbor walked over to see why I had the lawn mower apart. I showed it to him.

Then I said, "I'm glad you walked over. I was just going to come knock on your door and make you an offer. Let me borrow your lawnmower, and I cut both our yards at the same time. And I'll even weed-eat your yard while I'm at it."

He said, "Yeah, that'd be nice wouldn't it? Let me tell you where the closest Husqvarna store is."

Then he proceeded to offer me directions, which was kind. However, when I came back in the house to grab my wallet, I remember that I left my wallet in my wife's car last night, and she's gone to work. So I just ordered the part online and put all of the lawn-mower parts aside for now.

As I pulled my truck back in the garage.... My neighbor got his lawn mower out and started mowing his yard.

I get it - his yard, his tools, his rules. But his mower doesn't appear to be anything extravagant. And he keeps his yard maintained.. but no one around here is trying to make it into Better Homes & Gardens.

My neighbor on the other side will be home in a bit, and he has openly offered his mower to me many times. So I'll just wait for him I guess.

We've all been neighbors for about 10 years now. Odd to me that he wouldn't let me mow both our yards with his mower. Wouldn't have taken more than 30 mins.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Jakedog, DonM, Geo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some people are funny that way. His mower, his yard, he might even have some specific anal retentive "correct" way to mow his yard and doesn't want to deal with the anxiety of somebody else doing it "wrong".

3. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

Maybe he had already planned to do it that day and your offer was a coincidence. But it's weird anyway. I always expect an upfront answer. I don't know how to deal with coded obscure non-verbal messages like this.

Doctorx33, ponce, bender66 and 6 others like this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

A good way to hurt your head is to try figuring people out

Twelvefrets, jvin248, drf64 and 26 others like this.
  5. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Some men are funny with their stuff. Not surprising that he didn't lend you his mower, but he sure as heck could've mowed yours.

I offered to lend my mower to a neighbor while his was in the shop. He politely declined, but he's a bagger and I'm a mulcher. Who knows?

6. TheGoodTexan

Very true.

I suppose all of us have some area of our life that we have the emotional need to manage like that... yet it appears to be trivial to others looking in.

7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe you caught him on one of his “off” days.

awasson, brbadg and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There are plenty of oddballs around, nothing surprises me these days.
    His comment was rude imo. Hopefully one day you can return the favour.
    Maybe it's time your lawnmower got fitted with a new loud hotdog muffler on the exhaust?

Doctorx33, DonM, bender66 and 3 others like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife yes, may dog maybe, my lawnmower never!

10. TheGoodTexan

Years ago when we first moved in, our yard was out of control. But I didn't have time to get to it, because we were moving furniture in and all that. Then out of the blue some nice man from around the came cruising up on his mower and offered to cut it for us. I asked him "How much?" He replied, "No charge! Just being a good neighbor!"

Now that was cool. I've never saw him again. I don't know what house he came from. But I've always remembered his gesture.

jvin248, bftfender, Doctorx33 and 6 others like this.
  11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

He should have said "I'll do you one better, you work on your mower and I'll cut your grass". That's what I would do.

Since he reacted quite differently, I would be out there right now building a 6 foot tall fence between my yard and his.

12. TheGoodTexan

I didn't take it as rude at all. I talk to him all the time.

I just expected my request to be a formality... as in, I expected him to reply with something to the effect of... "Of course! Go for it man! You don't have to mow mine. That's a nice offer, but just get yours done. Don't worry about me." And then I would have mowed and trimmed both yards anyway.

Matt G, Sanity Inn, awasson and 5 others like this.
  13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe he doesn't get his allowance unless he mows the yard?

14. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You can barrow mine anytime, if you'll mow my lawn too!!:)

DrPepper and TheGoodTexan like this.
  15. Frodebro

About five years ago I was bedridden for over a month with a pretty severe illness. One day I heard a lawnmower out front, and when I made my way to the front window I saw my next-door neighbor out there mowing my front yard! I caught up with him a bit later when I was feeling better, and thanked him for what he did. He smiled and replied that it was the neighborly thing to do. We've been doing "neighborly" things for each other ever since.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Him saying that would be nice wouldn't it and then giving direction to the repair store seems rude to me. I guess he just didn't want to straight out deny you using his mower. I'd jump at the chance, you would have your work cut out for you mowing my lawn.
    Its about 12 months overdue.:) I'd offer to do the edges while you mowed and vice versa on the others lawn.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Remember this.

Because later on when you’re talking to some other neighbor And they bring up the fact that they’ve never really warmed up to “let me get you directions” guy either, you’ll remember why you hold that grudge.

I hold lots of grudges and keeping them straight sometimes is difficult but then you talk to the person for a minute and you realize “oh , I remember now, that’s why I think he’s an a*****e...”

bender66, stnmtthw, dogmeat and 2 others like this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

But...if he had been gracious enough to loan you his mower for YOUR yard and you mowed HIS yard, then tings might have gotten sticky......you mulched instead bagged, you mowed against the grain????, he likes diagonals while you cut squares. Imho, it is better that he was rude enough that further discussion was not needed. I would take it under advisement to maintain boundaries with him......as noted, good fences make good neighbors sometimes. One side of that coin is that good neighbors don’t have to be good friends.
    Had I been him?? Yeah...mow our yards, I’ll edge...then we’ll have a beer while we cool off in tHe shade of the trees. I need all the help and friends I can get!

I have never heard this version...just the album version, but this thread made me think of this song.

19. Frodebro

I don't hold many grudges, but the few that I do have are pretty freaking epic. :lol:

20. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Cub Cadet with 327, 350hp, 2 4bbls, SS headers into glass packs. EVERYBODY knows when yer mowing.

Yeah Tex, some people are just stone weird about stuff like that. Add to that the "attitude" and you've got a neighbor who ain't neighborly. It might be interesting to see how it goes from here, if it's all forgotten or if his attitude sticks around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.