Odd nut on a Jeff Beck Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike_LA, Oct 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Hi Gang, I was perusing CL and came across a Jeff Beck Stratocaster.

The nut is a 2 step affair (I am assuming for intonation) but when I when to the Fender site that model it shows a roller nut.

I'm sure someone can explain the mystery nut.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

This is a 1999 model. It's the nut Fender was using at that time. It's design limits the string gauge however.

I think this might be the last year for it before they went to a roller nut.

3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

A63D634B-4A57-450A-B871-75389AE68390.jpeg

Think they call those Wilkinson Roller nuts. I’ve got the earlier generation of that nut on an 89 Strat Plus. As mentioned, you’ll have troubles getting some G and D strings to fit through on 11 gauge and above (some 10 gauges, too). You can even see in the picture where the prior owner did a lousy job at trying to remedy the problem himself. Not sure when they switched from the all flat ones to the 3 angled ones on the bass side, like yours. Eventually they switched over to the thinner LSR models with the ball bearings.

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

It goes the other way around - the first Wilkinsons were the 3 angled (i.e. 1 roller) on the bass side and flat (i.e. 2 rollers) on the treble side. Roughly end 1987/start 1988 they go the entirely flat version (i.e. 2 rollers for all 6 strings). But Jeff liked the original version (3 angled/3 flat) so the Beck Strat had that style Wilkinson instead of the revised flat version.

Fender went to the LSR nut (with the ball bearings) on the Strat Plus/Deluxe Strat Plus/Strat Ultra and the Jeff Beck Strat in early 1993.

Actually that is a 1990/91 Beck Strat - known Fender serial number screw-up where some 1990 models had "N9xxxxx" instead of "N0xxxxx" decals. A Beck Strat from 1999 would have the serial number on the back of the headstock.

Edited for clarity: I originally said "a real 1999 Beck Strat" which could be construed that I was meaning that the one the OP showed was a fake - when all I meant was that it was not from 1999. Of course the one shown is a real Beck Strat so I edited the post to read "A Beck Strat from 1999" instead.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    black_doug and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

the "3 angled ones" came first, in the mid 80's. That is the nut that Jeff Beck uses on his guitars. The one shown above came into play around 88-89 and was used until around 1993 when they switched to the Lace roller nut.

Reference: https://xhefriguitars.com/page2.html#C11

6. sci4us

sci4us NEW MEMBER!

As previously mentioned, it is a Wilkinson Roller Nut. I have a '93 Fender Ultra with that a similar nut.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.