Odd Neck Date on a 69 Tele.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AC-50, Oct 14, 2007.

1. AC-50

AC-50 TDPRI Member

Hello,

I am hopeing that you might be able to help me with a neck date from a 69 telecaster. If you could I would be very grateful. This is the neck date. 3 28 043 B It is stamped in green ink, 3 for tele/ 28 for production number and the B for neck width. I believe these are characteristic for a 69/71 date, however the 043 I cannot work out, it appears to translate to an April 73 date to me, which in 73 Fender where using a totally different dateing system by that period. The rest of the tele does date to original 69.

If you can please help me I would be very appreciative.

2. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

It certainly seems to be of the style of the late 60s thru earlu 70s neck codes. I'm not too sure that theres exact cross over dates known - like so much around Fender.

Its not whats taken usually as the post 72 codes, with model, neck, etc, so it does look like breaks down maybe as 3 280 43 B. This would suggest as you say, April '73 (not likely) or April '63 (didn't use this codong system)

Are you sure of your numbers, as so many of them are poorly stamped - like could it be 48?

3. AC-50

AC-50 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply.

I've had the same thoughts as yourself, here's a photo to clarify the numbers.

[​IMG]

The only thing that makes any sense, but I think its still incorrect, is possibly the 28 is Feb 68 and the 043 is the production code.

Has anybody seen neck dates where the codes are around the wrong way.

4. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

5. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

That's a typical mid to late 69 Tele neck stamp. It does not break down like the 8-digit stamps that were used in the 70s, and there is no "working it out" that makes sense in all, or even most cases.

6. AC-50

AC-50 TDPRI Member

Thanks,

Already been there, and have sent an email asking if Greg Gagliano could contact me, I'm not overly confident in receiving a reply though, but if he does I will post what he can or can't clarify.

7. AC-50

AC-50 TDPRI Member

Interesting that you say its only mid to late 69, could I ask where or how you came across this information..

8. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

" Greg Gagliano "

...He has been roun fer at least 10 years that I noe of. He tackled this quandary with a vengeance about 8 years ago.

...He did much homework and contacted many people about these neck dates.

...He issa rite-ter of note and a real great guy but ---------(as Slack said)-------
    ...About the time we figger this out (er sew we think) we find a nutter stock won that iss different. Also, many fake stamps haff bin sold on eBait over the years.

...Udder attributes muss be cornsidered whence trynna be sure about the dates on this year range of TELECASTERs.

...Yew gonna git a my-grain headache a trynna figger it all out and be specific specially on into the 70s.

[​IMG]

...Good luck!!!

[​IMG]

(deranged internet-based alter ego, with my own lexicon and all.)

Please visit my page

9. AC-50

AC-50 TDPRI Member

Thanks Fuzz

I'm possibly going to sell my 69 and the headache is gonna come from those that don't know regarding these type of neck dates... like the dealer I contacted who's supposed to be in the know, but when I asked them they said "should be rubber stamped eg 4 Feb 69 B" ... so I'm trying to get some sort of solid info.

10. Brutalblues

Brutalblues Tele-Afflicted

Did it maybe look like mine? :D
    [​IMG]

There's another member here that goes by "DIV" who also has the exact same date code on a "69". Since mine only has one string tree and the guy I got it in trade from (also a TDPRI'er..."Quackers")swears he got it from the original owner and that it's a '69, I'd like to believe they're real. My '69 also has the pearloid under the pickguard which was a '68-'69 trait. So show this to whoever when you go to sell it if it will help!

** And just an aside..... If you were going to try to make a forgery or fake 1969 neck, wouldn't you make it say "Jan 69 B"?! **

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  11. AC-50

AC-50 TDPRI Member

Thanks Blues,

Never thought I would see another, let alone hear of another also, certainly makes a good point towards the validity of them being 69's.

Mine also has a pearl guard and single string tree. Also missing the diagonal body route between the neck pickup and the control cavity.

12. div

div Tele-Meister

yes, as double B says, I have a neck with that exact same neck stamp. I also saw a '69 telecaster on gbase once with that exact same neck stamp. I'm pretty sure my own guitar is probably a partscaster made of 69-73 parts. If I remember correctly, BB's neck and mine are similar- both have a lot of "shoulder" and a round back- sort of "D" shaped and both of them have nuts that are just shy of 1 5/8". The 1 string tree on mine isn't even w/ the A tuner & is just slightly closer to the nut.

13. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

First, I meant to type "That's typical..." That is an extraneous "a".

I come to that conclusion based on all of the information available in publications and online, and the untold numbers of Telecasters from that period that I have personally documented, and written about or discussed with others.

That is a typical neck stamp for 69. Taking into consideration all of the other factors in dating a guitar (you can't date a Tele by the neck stamp, you can't even date the neck from the stamp in the late 60s, technically speaking), my research and personal experience indicates that these stamps were first used in early to mid 69 and the previous type stamp was back by late 69 or early 70. I have seen many early 69 Teles with conventional stamps, both on maple caps and then early 1-pc necks. The transition from maple cap to 1-pc happened in early 69, and I've not seen a maple cap with that format stamp (though they may exist).

14. AC-50

AC-50 TDPRI Member

Thanks Div,

I appreciate your input on this. Mine also has the more D shaped profile, string tree is correctly placed inline wih the A tuner though.

Also thanks Slack,

Your explanation has certainly cleared the air for me, and yes my neck is a 1-pc.

15. EJCM

EJCM NEW MEMBER!

'69 Tele with Green Ink Neck Stamp: "3 28 043 B"?

My 1969 Telecaster also happens to have the same stamped green ink number on the neck: "3 28 043 B" (see attached pic). The "3" is clearly the code for "Telecaster", and the "B" is the neck width (Normal), but I continue wondering about the "28" and the "043". Should anyone have any new insight into decoding this neck stamp, please advise. Thx!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.