OD with Tweed recommendations

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WarBeer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

So, one of the amps that I've been using lately...with my Daphne Blue Danocater;) Is a Blankenship Fatboy. For those that don't know...it's a 5E3 style amp. However, it's not exactly "Zuma". It seems to be focused around the "cleaner side" of Tweed. (which I dig) Even in the neck....I get plenty of spank and sparkle. Lot's of mids. Really, the amps sounds like it's got a bit of a built in compressor. As clean goes...it's stupid good. A very honest and articulate amp. As such, I find myself struggling with matching it up with an OD. It doesn't drive well on it's own. (it's really designed for more Tweed head-room..which was accomplished) Because it's SO articulate and clear...the cruch/grit of most ODs just get magnified. So, I'm thinking that maybe an OD that's "creamy"...a bit darker, with lots of low-end...might just be the ticket.

Any thoughts on my perspective on the mismatching and some possible recommendations for a pairing?
    I'm really just looking for the classic "smooth, singing" composite. Even though it has hair, I think the over-all fidelity of this amp (which I love for clean) really just makes most of the pedals I put in front of it...feel like "thin, gritty little boxes"...lol...which, of course, they are!

2. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

2 possibilities spring to mind:

Skreddy Screwdriver - unfortunately out of production

Bad Monkey -- gain all the way down and bass/treble set to taste

3. CK5150

CK5150 Tele-Meister

Try a Timmy - I just got one the other day and ran it in front of my hand built 5E3 that also has some ample headroom and it sounded glorious.

If you're looking to start to get into Marshall territory you can also give a Fulltone OCD a try. Sounds incredible as well but has a more saturated, colored sound than the Timmy.

Sandhill69 likes this.
  4. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I second the OCD recommendation if you are looking for more creamy OD. I have a 5e3 clone that I built to give me more clean headroom- it nails the mids and chimey clean tones even at max volume. I personally LOVE my Tubescreamer stacked with my DS-1 with this amp (I like a bit more grit in my drive). But when I want creamy OD, the OCD really does that well.

Sandhill69 likes this.
  5. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

I've been using an OCD and a TS9 with it. Both "work" and have their character. This amp is just SO clean that it's hard to drive...it's almost "hi-fi". And I'm running it at 9 O'clock! I'm almost thinking that a Tube driven OD...that can really compress and get a bit saggy, might be worth a try as well? Because the amp is so clean, it doesn't really compress...so when you crank an OD...it's going to be a HUGE boost in volume. That's why I'm thinking that maybe something with a lot of really organic gain on tap could have the level dropped a bit and run a little closer to unity?

6. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

another vote for a tube screamer or soulfood run with DS1 will get the sound you want

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm with the OCD.
    I actually don't like them because I don't really do creamy...but I messed with one once and I think it did what you want.

Sandhill69 likes this.
  8. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

I'm not really "looking" for creamy.....I'm just trying to guess as what type of OD might marriage well with the amp. I'm sure there's a combination out there....I've just got to find it...lol;)

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

It sounds like you want a distortion pedal - you're not trying to overdrive the amp if you like it clean...you need to create distortion with a pedal. while a lot of OD's do distortion it's not always their strength, especially if you're not looking for "smooth/creamy" - I'd search for distortion pedals that are more aggressive.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Original post:

So, I'm thinking that maybe an OD that's "creamy"...

11. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I have a 5e3 set up to have more clean headroom than most (and a '54 5d3 Deluxe that's stock).

For the 5e3, after trying several pedals out of my bag of tricks, I settled on my Xotic BB. Actually, I think any that have both bass and treble controls would work.

The point of mentioning the 5d3 is that with a tweek or two of the knobs the BB works for the grittier 5d3 as well. The extra EQ ability does wonders.

12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

If you don't have to deal with the amp's own distortion, wooly lows at gig volume, etc, you can probably go with whatever floats your boat. Maybe something with a TMB tonestack so you could EQ out the scratchy tone you're hearing?

I've got a 5E3 Pro-luxe with two 6L6's in cathode-bias and bigger transformers to support them. Probably puts out around 25 watts. Last time out, I had a Barber Small Fry and Machine Head Pedals 98 Degrees on the board. Sounded great with both of them. Amp's volume was about halfway up. I've also had good luck with a ROG Umble. The distortion might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the Umble's TMB tonestack greatly expanded what I could get out of the amp.

Also, noticed that the Fatboy comes with a Celestion speaker which might tend to give it an edgier tone. Might be something else to experiment with. I'm using a 50 watt Weber signature with good results.

13. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A 5e3 is a funny beast... Ill admit that I've struggled finding OD/Distortion pedals that work. The thick mids can get funky and boxy sounding when you hit 'em with dirt pedals.

My Tim works quite good with it... and a lot of fuzz pedals too. I really like the Dunlop Band of Gypsies Fuzz a lot. It can go from creamy distortion to gated and a little sputtery. My Keeley Fuzz Head kicks behind as well. By dialing back the guitar's volume knob, you can really work the dirt levels and flavors.

With my 5e3, I can plug into one channel, and by adjusting the other channel's volume, you get some interesting results. Keep the other volume low and you get more headroom. Crank it up a bit past Noon and it will actually add overdrive, but reduce the output volume. At 9 O'Clock on the channel I'm in and the other channel's volume under Noon it's pretty darn clean and loud.

14. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

The Greer Ghetto Stonp is a real cool pedal with a raspy, gritty tone. Might look into that for something different.

15. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I recently bought a tc electronics MojoMojo pedal for this very reason - around the house I play my Mission 5E3 clean, at low volumes (I also loaded it with a Emi Red Fang to maximize its clean headroom on stage). So I wanted something to give me a little dirt when I want it at those lower volumes.

The MojoMojo does that quite well.
    It's got separate bass and treble knobs plus a "voice" switch, so it's pretty flexible and it's got a lot more bass/low end response than most OD pedals I've heard. They're also $49 brand new, so that's a major bonus!
    Might be worth a look.

16. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

lol...yeah, I realize that's extremely contradictory..hehe. It's the "end result" that's the rub. Anything articulate becomes SUPER brittle...that's why I was thinking that something a bit softer might end up still being articulate once pushed through:)

17. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the great recommendations!!!

I thought about the mojomojo OD before..for another amp.

The Xotic BB has definitely crossed my mind for this particular situation.

Yes, I have been thinking that a "dirt box" instead of an OD might be the way to go.n (referring back to the BB) The JHS Angry Charlie, the CMATMODS Brownie and the Xotic BB all came to mind as "gain boxes".

Using something with pound of internal grit might allow me to keep closer to unity-gain when engaged. I've never really been a big fan of running ODs at unity...they've always sounded thin to me...but this amp is such a different beast that I'm really forced to think outside of my normal approach. Plus, I like this amp's clean so much that I want to make sure it's usable.

18. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Have you thought about trying one of the tweed amp-in-a-box type pedals? Something like the Catalinbread Formula 55 or Lovepedal High Powered Twin might work well in your situation.

19. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

I went through a phase where I bought a bunch of those pedals. My two favorites: Catalinbread Formula #5 and Wampler '57. Respectively for high-ish gain and low gain. Honorable mention: Lovepedal High Powered Tweed Twin. The Lovepedal Les Lius does not work for my live set up. It's fine for home practice, though.

20. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

VFE Standout, I use it all the time with this little 8" alnico loaded Valco meets Tweed amp on edge of breakup. It's running a Tone Tubby 8" alnico now, but there's only so much bottom end push it can take before that 8" turns to mush even though the hemp factor helps a lot.

[​IMG]

https://reverb.com/item/5117552-vfe-pedals-standout-mid-booster

Thing about this is it's a eq mid boost, it doesn't add dirt, it refocuses your pu's push and makes amp change its character and add dirt. You can sweep low end and high end range and make it push a range of mids forward that your amp/speaker can live with without overdriving bottom (induce flub) or top (get ice picky) to much, you pick where mid range push starts and ends on HPF/LPF. It doesn't matter what amp/speaker I'm using, I can dial it in to what that amp needs.

Absolutely the best push your amp into its sweet spot boost I've ever had.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.