OD recommendation

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bob Arbogast, Nov 17, 2019.

1. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

I'd bring my EHX East River Drive. Tube Screamers (or their clones) are pretty reliable for getting a sound I like.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Battery powered?, who decides the battery capacity :)

For a single PP3 battery, I'd go Joyo American Sound. Set it to 'crunchier than Dorito chips' and work the guitar volume control.

3. johnniegoat

johnniegoat TDPRI Member

if it was reliable enough, my original Marshall Guv'nor. it turns any amp into a monster, has a powerful eq section for tweking and cleans up pretty good form the guitar volume

but its not reliable

of my current pedals, my Fredrik King of Klone - 2 Klones in a box that can be stacked

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My Soul Food’s battery operation failed too. I’ve seen it reported a lot. Will only work with external PSU now. Not a wiring fault, must be a component failure.

Boss Blues Driver would be bombproof.

i like a Fulltone OCD for vast range of grit to dirt and lo-hi pass modes and its touch sensitivity. Ideal into a clean channel.

i also have a Fulldrive 3 which has both boost and dirt in one and is great to kick an on the edge tube preamp for crunch and big leads.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Gotta be the blues driver with a ts9 or ehx soul food coming in a very close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc Morfei likes this.
  6. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Boss SD-1. On a perfectly clean amp it can do edge of breakup all the way to classic rock grind, and on an already cooking amp it just gets amazing. Love that little yellow stomp.

7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

BD-2, Soul Food, or OCD will all go from clean boost to bit o' hair to ow, my face. I've had my OCD for years and years and I understand it the best of the three. OTOH, it's true bypass and I might end up using a long cable, so I'd probably opt for one of the other two since they're buffered. Shrug? I'd take the BD-2 I guess, but I might change my mind by lunchtime.

(Nobody would use a Rat? What forum am I on?)

8. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'd go with an OD-3 or VS Open Road.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Any overdrive you have that has a working battery compartment.

dannyh likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Today I'd go with my Lovepedal Provalve because it sounds more like an old low gain Marshall than a TS does, and I like old Marshalls better than TS's.
    It has a better clean sound when you back off the guitar vol too, actually a clean sound I like, so I can set both "channels" of drive different, set the level a little too high, and get good sounds with the guitar turned down, then turn up the guitar if needed to drown out the other suckers...
    Plus these are not pop pedals and nobody will sound the same!

Could backfire though as I don't have any amps that totally suck to try it with and see if it makes an amp that totally sucks sound great.
    Never mind!

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

One other off-beat suggestion:

The old large, cream-colored Danelectro DO-1 Daddy-O overdrive has some great versatility in it—especially with the 3-band EQ.

Just be cautious—that thing’s pretty heavy and it could hurt or kill somebody if you throw it at them...just ask my old bass player’s widow.

12. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Joyo AS. I carry one to every gig. The Swiss army knife.

Marc Morfei and javiersson like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I suspect that any correct answer to the OP's quetion is not going to be our favorite OD, since those are likely to have "a sound" or at least "an EQ".

The suggestions for emulators might work unless they are influenced by the amp they run through and have little EQ range.
    A three band EQ isn't really needed in an OD but is more needed if you end up with a surprise amp that sounds like crap or is the polar opposite of the sound you like.

IOW a TS can add mids to a BF Fender but can't be flat or scoop the mids of a Marshall and satisfy a player who wants a scooped Fender "blues" tone.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  14. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Tim. Use the Timmy OD section on low gain, always on so you can easily adjust the eq. Then hit that boost for the juice.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed. Without knowing what the back line will be it’s a crap shoot. I would take:
    TS9 Incase it’s a Fender.
    BD-2 incase it’s a Marshall.
    Tylenol incase it’s a Peavey...

16. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Ditto to what you said. Plus it's less intrusive from an EQ perspective. I may rather have a TS9 with a Fendery setup... but if it's unknown and I can bring one pedal it's a Boss BD2 all the way. Plenty of gain on tap, no mid hump, adds brightness/presence if needed, or can act as a clean boost or anything in between. Swiss army knife that will do pretty much everything except really heavy metal.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  17. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Joyo Vintage od is my standby. Apart from an old TS9 Soundtank, which currently has a dodgy switch, or Dano Transparent OD it's the only one I really use.

I'm not a great pedal player but I'm quite tempted by the Joyo American Sound.

18. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Boss SD1, 'cause it works great with any amp, it's only $50, and is available at almost any store in the country if it needs replacing quickly.

19. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Dod looking glass. It’s fantastic and boasts a ridiculously versatile eq section. It has a strange ability to be its own thing while also letting your natural sound shine through. Very cool OD. Goes from sparkly clean boost up to raunchy drive on the low gain setting and up into 70’s metal territory in high gain mode.

kevsonic likes this.
  20. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I like my CMAT Butch or J Rockett Chickin Soup. The chicken soup in a nobles clone and sounds nice an smooth on the tele bridge pickup while the Butah is more articulate .

bluesholyman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.