OD pedal help

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Boogieman92, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I go for snob appeal

northernguitar and JuneauMike like this.
  2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Have you tried the barber stuff? I'm kinda regretting selling my gain changer. That was a good pedal...

Note to self: never sell a pedal you really like!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

My Tele and PRS CE sound really good thru an OCD, into a SFPR. Is pretty flat, and can go from slight breakup to really ballsy - think old ZZ Top.

I just got a Chinese Timmy clone, and that's pretty promising, also. A little clearer and less ballsy.

4. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

If this helps ...
    .. PAFs into an HT20 TC MojoMojo everytime to get variation from light to heavy OD.

Unfortunately no idea here how a Deluxe might go with that.

5. 52BIGSBY

52BIGSBY Tele-Meister

No BD2 mentions?

6. Boogieman92

Boogieman92 TDPRI Member

I went ahead and ordered a boss sd1 which will be here tomorrow. I need to spend more time with the ts and this one and then decide if i want to try anything else. The klones always sound interesting, but when i listen to sound samples they never really impress me. May need to buy a budget one and just see how i like the basic tonal profile when it is in front of me. Also thinking i may re buy the mojomojo or the dark matter and try that route again as i liked the mojomojo the first time i had it.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

If you want more of the amp at lower volumes, how about an attenuator?

8. 65tinbender

65tinbender TDPRI Member

Don’t know about cross-referencing a Deluxe with a SFVC but with my VC the MojoMojo & Dark Matter sounded good.
    Putting both bass & treble wide open, gain low, with volume to suit was better.

Then I tried those settings with my Timmy and both a Tele and Les Paul.
    It was like the sun came out and the birds started singing. Great sounds on all pickups, rich & full at different volumes.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a mojo mojo, I dont see it doing "something that gives me more of what the amp does naturally". It can be a nasty pedal even at low gain. Got kind of a "note fade" nastiness to it.

If that is really what you want I would get a Barber Gain Changer or Ibanez TS9DX. Both can do minimal gain well. I use the BGC as a clean boost mainly but have used it at low volume gigs for heavier OD and it's one pedal that does low volume real well that way. The TS9DX on Turbo setting gives big rich low end at low gain.
    I'm using a Deluxe amp.

10. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

If you really want to learn about overdrive pedals - which types are there, what is the differences it is a real rabbit hole. But maybe this is the place to start:

This guys have so much experience and they are fun to watch. I highly recommend this episode.

11. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

OD is such an individual thing. I have gone through a bunch and my favorites are Tube Screamer and Timmy.

I had left my TS in the closed for a long time but pulled it out and - I don't know if my ears have changed, or my taste has changed - but I really like it now. It really seems to pick up the dynamics when I play. Not as in your face but everything just sounds a bit better. Sort of like a little salt on your food. Some people like super hot sauce. :)

JuneauMike likes this.
  12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, that's about correct. This is a cool read.

"What OD pedal should I get?" is a fun discussion but ultimately a pointless question. Some great videos in this thread to underscore why we all have to answer that question on our own. Again, and again.

13. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

If the SD1 doesn’t make you happy, there a few great Boss OD units that can help.

Boss Blues Driver BD2: bass and treble focused OD sound, transparent.

Boss Overdrive OD3: similar to SD 1 but more meat in the bottom end and less mid hump, smoother.

Boss Overdrive / Distortion OS2: Underrated pedal that has a parallel overdrive and distortion circuit you can blend. Great light drive sounds to be had and versatile.

Boss Overdrive OD1X: digital overdrive with dynamic frequency response with excellent string separation, clarity and harmonics. Modern sound overall, less smooth.

Tele-friend likes this.
  14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I love mine. It's one of my always-on pedals. (The other is reverb.)

15. Boogieman92

Boogieman92 TDPRI Member

The boss sd1 is here, has some useable sounds but i will have to mess with it some more. Ran back through my ts and mxr both sound better today than they did the other night. I think part of my issue with most of these pedals is how much they compress the sound. When i crank an amp up it has a totally different feel from just stepping on a pedal. When i engage a pedal i can feel the compression kick in and it just doesnt feel natural. I love the feel an amp has when its cranked up, almost like when you have a car reved high and havent shifted to the next gear there is just something about that feeling that seems to be hard to replicate.

16. Boogieman92

Boogieman92 TDPRI Member

So finally got another chance to sit down and play with the sd1 some more. I used a different guitar this go round moving from my les paul with burst buckers to my joe pass pro with probuckers. This time i found it much more pleasant, that may be due to the fact that last time i had about 3 hours of sleep or the fact that the guitars are so different. My intention was to find a dirt pedal that is more in the vein of a cranked fender, and the sd1 is more marshally sounding but i am enjoying it. Overall i am now really happy with the sd1 but will continue to look for another drive that does the fender thing better. I have a dunlop ep101 on the way, probably wont fit the bill either but i got a good deal on it and have been wanting to play with one so who knows.

northernguitar likes this.
  17. Boogieman92

Boogieman92 TDPRI Member

Got the ep101 in today. It does something...not sure what, but it does something. It is a very subtle effect and i cant quite put my finger on how it is changing my sound but it does change it. Seems to add a bit of sweetness to the tone and you can tell it adds some gain but not a ton. Does not sound good stacked with the sd1 on my initial impression.

Back to the point of this thread i am thinking i may want to try a tweed in a box as that may be more the direction i am wanting to go. In theory at least. Dirt boxes are a rabbit hole that is for certain lol.

18. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I use the SD-1 for my main OD tone, and would not trade it for anything(through a clean Bandit 112). It has a breathing, or vocal quality I quite love.
    I own the Mojomojo as well. It is a good pedal, and reaches up into distortion territory.
    Most of the time it sounds really good, so I don't know if it is something to do with my ears or the room but it will sound really great, then all of a sudden get really dull, and I will have to adjust the EQ, It will sound fine for several days, then it will do it again. I can't think of anything that could be causing that.
    Having said that, if I have it on and hit it with the SD-1 it really sounds incredible.

19. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

if nobody mentioned it yet, the ehx crayon is a very good versatile OD pedal. its bass and tone controls do a lot and it can mimic an sd-1

20. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

You could try a Source Audio L.A. Lady or King Maker they have a app neuro its called and with it you have 40 different dirt pedals and all the parameters can be controlled with it. It even has a noise gate if you want to use it.

Modman68 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.