OD Pedal for a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Chivo, Feb 1, 2016.

1. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

I love the way my amp sounds when cranked halfway up on the Custom channel. I love the clean sound on either channel. My issue is finding an OD pedal that sounds like an overdriven amp. I know... I know... the eternal dilemma. I love the sound of a cranked Bassman. I've tried a wide range of pedals:
    1. EHX East River Drive (modded TS clone... I've realized I don't like TS pedals)
    2. EHX Soul Food (Klon klone)
    3. Snouse Black Box (1st gen Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal clone)
    4. Devi Ever: FX Karaoke Party (sort of a 70s Sunn sound)
    5. DOD 250 (sometimes I love it... sometimes I don't)
    6. BOSS Power Driver (fun... but no)
    7. Wampler Black 65 ( Blackface clone - SRV in a pedal... I don't wanna sound like SRV... bass was overwhelming)

I've got a Fulltone OCD on order and am on the list for a King of Tone. I really hope these let me sleep at night.:lol:

For those of you with a 68 Custom series Fender, what are you using for OD?

2. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I use a BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive. I love it because it has the classic OD sound I'm looking for. Not too chunky, not too wimpy. Just right in the middle.

bftfender likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Bud of mine uses a zendrive on his sf modded deluxe.
    sounds good

4. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Crowther Hotcake

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I like TS pedals with my 68CDR.

6. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

I have a few.

Wampler Brent Mason v2 which sounds great on both sides- right side does a good light grit and left side does a good Marshall impression.

Wampler Tumnus does a great Klon sound... far better than the Soul Food that I used before.

Catalinbread Formula 5 or 5f1 does a great job with making the Custom channel into a 2 channel amp... just set it for drive and set the Custom channel for clean. Wampler Tweed 57 does the same thing.

7. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I felt much the same way about my TS with my '68 Custom Princeton. Found some OD love with the Paul Cochrane Timmy. LOVE this pedal with my '68 Custom. The cut function of the EQ is awesome, intuitive and responsive. The pedal gives a great, creamy, tube-like overdriven sound. From just a hint to pure organic saturation goodness.

The OCD and my xotic BB Pre Amp are great, great pedals, but they don't complement the Fender '68 Custom like that Timmy.

- Bob

8. barker

barker Tele-Meister

+1

9. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

The King of Tone might work well for you. I used to have one, and I especially liked the boost on it. It's a great pedal and I think a big improvement on the Bluesbreaker pedal. It works great for fattening up (slightly emphasizing lower midrange frequencies) single coils into Fender amps. I sold it because I'm not so much into smooth overdrive sounds. I prefer the crunchy sound of a germanium fuzz with guitar's volume rolled back. I have a Barber Gain Changer for smooth overdrive when it's needed.

10. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

I am guessing you are a Fender man and playing single coils (because who really plays a Les Paul through a DR?). The theory is the thin tone 'benefits' from the mid goosing with a TS type OD. It's to help you get heard on stage. The DOD 250 is more full range, and ought to work in my mind, if mid-humps are not your thing. If you really want to be heard, and not have a mid hump, what about a treble booster? A Rangemaster-type pedal would work well in that case. No clipping diodes, just a nice kick in the pants of your signal.

11. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

I have a tube screamer I barely ever use ... but I have a Voodoo Labs Giggity that I love ... the overdrive is barely there, sounds natural, gives it some thickness too.

12. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

I'm using a 65, but the Caroline Haymaker really does it for me.

13. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

I've been using a Hotcake, too. With the gain fairly low I really like it. It sounds very good!

14. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

My main guitar is a Les Paul loaded with P90s. None of my guitars have their "classic" setups. Hell, even the Jazzmaster I put together has P90s. I use the Custom channel, which has the Bassman circuit and I guess I'm looking for a pedal that gets close to an overdriven tweed Bassman. I have a Moog Boost pedal on the way to replace the Soul Food.

15. jamie.pope

jamie.pope Tele-Meister

Catalinbread 5F6 is your ticket. I was skeptical but the thing sounds fantastic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.