1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OD/Distortion recommendation for a JC

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Oct 20, 2020.

1. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

someone once told me Boss tests their pedals with JC amps. So, I would recommend some kind of Boss pedal. THe Boss power driver is great for super high gain.

schenkadere likes this.
  2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Getting back to the stereo/full range design of this amp, it dawned on me that you might actually get decent, or even good or great results, if you tried a full-on modeling/DSP pedal, probably to include cab sim, which probably uses IR. And - you might even want to find one with stereo outs.

...The whole idea would be to try and leverage the full freq. response of the JC-22's design, almost as if you're using it as a P.A. of sorts. And since the chorus is leveraging the benefits of stereo, you could possibly get the same thing from a really good non-mono/non-analog processor.

Amps like the JC-22 might even excel when used this way.

So, the JC-22's overall design, to include the speakers, is probably the actual limitation, if approaching this from a traditional way. Treat the amp as if it were a compact stereo P.A., and the limitation(s) could potentially become strengths.

Now - as to affordable stereo modelers - I'll kindly defer that to the other experts here. Well, and I'll add that I got a used Atomic AmpliFIRE about a year ago, and it's been great, but I only use it with headphones, and (even used) it costs not much less than a new JC-22. Hopefully, there's something decent that's more affordable by Mooer/Zoom/Nux/Line 6/etc...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    doghouseman and schenkadere like this.
  3. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Just pick a distortion or overdrive you like. The Jazzchorus series from Roland are excellent as a clean platform for pedals.

schenkadere likes this.
  4. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I have, and they're not to my ear, lol.

Tornado likes this.
  5. schenkadere

One thing I did not try is switching on the cab sim on the Dapper...duh! I'll try that tonight and see if it makes a difference.

6. schenkadere

That does make sense...but these are 2 tiny speakers. I doubt this is the testing platform.

doghouseman likes this.
  7. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

It might be hard to find a distortion that works well with that amp. Have you tried a tube screamer?

You should take advantage of the clean stereo sound. A stereo sound is huge and fun to play.

8. schenkadere

TS sounds like doody so far...gonna try the cab sim tonight.

9. Bluesbrother777

Bluesbrother777 TDPRI Member

I have a JC40 that loves dirt pedals. The ones that sound best though are specifically made to be played into a clean amp and that’s what you should be looking at for most bang for your buck I think. Amp in a box pedals are probably good, digital modelers like Boss MDP pedals, etc.
    I personally have the Wampler Velvet Fuzz and Way Huge Fat Sandwich that I can recommend as both are meant for high headroom clean amps.

Last but certainly not least, new JC amps are really bright with treble at noon. I run the treble on mine between 9:30 and 10:30 at most. This is crucial for decent distortion tone but also clean tone, especially single coils (this is TDPRI after all) It’s a tip I picked up on YouTube and I’ve been much happier with the amp since.

schenkadere likes this.
  10. schenkadere

I know my tone! Clean or dirty. Don’t you worry. I am a super picky dirt lover!

I honestly think 11 Gauge nailed it with the speaker size and type.

Regardless, I love the amp for what I purchased it for...CLEAN. It don’t get much cleaner!

11. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Od pedals are to push tube amps into distortion.

You probably want a distortion pedal, generally meant to turn a clean channel into, well, distortion.

DS1 or 2 seem like worthwhile starting points.

I have a Wampler Sovereign on my board right now. It's great.

schenkadere likes this.
  12. schenkadere

I've been playing over 40 years. I've been through a ton of dirt pedals as well as all other gear. I think the trick here is to treat it like a PA.

I can hear a DS-1 into this amp in my head without even trying it and I can't imagine that working.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You might want to try this.
    [​IMG]
    It has a built-in cab simulator. In fact I don't even like it through a regular guitar amp, it's too bassy. Sounds great through a boom box or stereo. You have to crank the mids (voice knob) to get more distortion, but it doesn't sound gross like you would expect.

There's also an Orange version, which I haven't tried.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  14. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

ThermionicScott likes this.
  15. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Yes!

16. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I think the ideas discussed about the speakers and thinking of it as a PA are great ideas.

The description to me originally seemed like sort of an overloaded ‘digital’ input problem. I know it’s not digital, just saying try the pedals at unity or below to make sure - if you haven’t already.

schenkadere likes this.
  17. schenkadere

Unity for sure...first thing I did when it sounded funky was check that.

ScribbleSomething likes this.
  18. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

If you've ever played your guitar and traditional drive boxes straight into something like a home stereo, it probably becomes clear that it's not an input or level problem, per se, or at least it's not limited to just driving the stereo's preamp into clipping.

A traditional guitar amp only really reproduces frequencies from about 100Hz to 5KHz. Also, there are typically circuit-level mechanisms to soften or attenuate harmonic distortion, and create non-linear output signals. The power amp and speakers also play a big role with this.

Our ears really object to hearing upper-order harmonics in anything more than a tiny amount (e.g. really anything higher than 4th harmonics), especially the odd-order ones. That's what many traditional drive boxes make. Any hi-fi system will typically faithfully recreate them in excruciating detail.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  19. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Good OD/distortion tones are more important to me than stereo chorus. I'd probably be looking at trading the JC-22 for something more conventional. It's a shame that the Roland has no extension speaker jacks. Treating the amp like a PA sounds like a good idea, I guess, but not every PA sounds great. You could try plugging into the FX return to see if the speakers are actually the problem. If the speakers sound OK, maybe an EQ pedal would help.

schenkadere likes this.
  20. schenkadere

I've got great distortion tones with my Randall. Again, this was purchased specifically for the cleans and for home use. I got such a great deal on this Valeton Dapper that I couldn't pass it up thinking it would be perfect for the JC. I didn't get a chance last night, but I think turning the cab sim on the Dapper might just do the trick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.