1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

od/dist

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jdolecek48, Aug 15, 2020.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

I have been looking at distortion pedals as well as overdrive pedals. and I wanted to know if you guys have any experience with any of these and what are your thoughts....here are the distortion pedals that i have been looking at...
    1.fender pugilist
    2.ehx metal muff
    3.mxr distortion+
    4.mxr distortion III
    5.mxr prime distortion
    6. and one of the badass pedals as their are a couple different ones
    7. tc elctronics fqrk matter
    8.mxr 5150 overdrive - yea i know it is titled as an overdrive but it seems to me more of a distortion pedal

MXR has a bunch of distortion pedals, they have like 3 super baddass pedals, a few pedals labeled distortion pedals but I really do not know the difference...bhut those are the ones I have been looking at. I have alswo been looking

and the overdrive pedals i have been looking at are tc electronics mojomojo, then mxr has a few....I know this is a crqzy list and all, but I want a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal and I have been watching demos for days now so can you give me your thoughts please on your personal experience?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

*-wrong subforum

and for this to be a helpful discussion at all, we need to know what kind of sound you're aiming for. od/dist can really cover a huge amount of sonic territory

The best thing may to give examples of well-known songs

3. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I just purchased the MXR EVH 5150. It’s definitely a distortion pedal. I went with it to get back to my younger days of playing early Metallica and it does that very well. The onboard EQ helps too. I really like it. Roll the guitar vol back and cleans up nicely too. Very happy with it.

btw, I’m using a 72’ Fender Bassman head and a closed back 2x12 Fender cab. Weber Silver Bell/Gray Wolf combo

blowtorch likes this.
  4. blowtorch

Yeah that MXR 5150 pedal is truly killer, for sure. I love mine.

Tube Life likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well the MXR dist + is really more of an OD, almost identical circuit to the DOD OD250.
    But that circuit was modded and tweaked by many into for example the Voodoo lab Overdrive and the Fulltone OCD which is I guess considered a distortion. Another variant is the Oddfellow Cave man, maybe my favorite of them.
    I like that circuit family a lot but not the fizzier MXR version.
    The highest gain setting is pretty distorted, and the lowest is clean, hard to beat overall aside from we all have different eq needs, where that falily tends to be flat and only change the dirty quality.

Mention the amp and the goal in your request, that seems to help us help you.

6. blowtorch

I'd always understood that one to be a big part of Randy Rhoades' sound

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

And the DOD 250 was part of Yngwie's.

telemnemonics and blowtorch like this.
  8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I had a super badass distortion. It's a pretty versatile pedal. Modern tone. Lots of hard rock crunch. Mid control is useful.

I got it because I needed John Frusciante ds2 distortion tone, but the ds2 sounded awful with my princeton. It did the job.

Sold it because ultimately I found it to be a Swiss army knife type distortion. And I just didn't need it any longer.

blowtorch likes this.
  9. blowtorch

I've also got this one, and it's indeed super badass :cool:

10. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

i play metal and hard drock but i also play blues but mosrlt metal....so i like to chug a lot....i love alice in chains,pearl jam and kill switch engaged

11. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

my goal was to get a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal but i'm caught between the mxr superbadass and the mxr 5150.....but then i still need to decide on a overdrive pedal. I play metal mostly but i also like o play rock as well so yea i like versatility

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.