OD addicts

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by rmejiaborja, Dec 29, 2014.

1. garage_band

garage_band TDPRI Member

Joyo Sweet Baby
    Boss SD-1
    Just got a RAT 2 again

image-3789219792.jpg

I like to stack them with each other as much I play them separately.
    I also use the OD's to drive my Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz.

2. rmejiaborja

rmejiaborja TDPRI Member

Interesting combinations you guys have! I see a lot of RATS, on my pedalboard I'm currently using a Cmatmods Signa Drive and a Gearmanndude Luther Drive, gave up the Fulltone OCD and to tell you the truth I'm starting to regret it.

Keep up the comments!

3. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

I only have these dirt pedals any more:

- Emerson Em Drive
    - Lovepedal Eternity Fuse
    - Arc Klone v2
    - Bondi Sick As OD
    - Rockett Blue Note
    - Rockett Chicken Soup
    - Analogman Prince of Tone
    - Barber Gain Changer
    - Barber Compact Direct Drive
    - Wampler Euphoria
    - Wampler Clarksdale Delta
    - Wampler Pinnacle
    - Rockbox Boiling Point
    - Keeley Red Dirt
    - Hermida Zendrive

... So I'm doing better - down to just that! ;) Seriously, I've re-jigged this OD section so much over the past three years it's ridiculous. I guess I'm a junkie, although admitting the problem is half the battle. There's SO many good options.

BUT... If I had to go with two overdrives alone, I'd have a tough time, but I think my strategy would be a low gain and a lead boost. It'd almost be easier to say if I could only have one, and it'd likely be the Gain Changer because it can do so much so well. The thing is, the Keeley Red Dirt is a phenomenal lead boost, and the Rockett Blue Note stacks so well with it, that I might make those two my choice. The BN is just a sweet smooth low-gain OD and the toggle gives you an instant medium gain option besides. Then again, the Klone v2 is so incredible as a clean boost, it'd be hard not to go with that.

Tough choices.

4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

For a long time, I had a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, Way Huge Pork Loin, and Joyo Ultra Drive on my board. This year I went a little crazy and replaced all of them with a Wampler Tweed '57, MHP 72 Degrees and Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. Very pleased with all the changes, especially the Tweed 57. Still can't bring myself to get rid of any of the stuff I replaced. There's also a Barber Tone Pump hanging around.

When I'm going "light" with just a pedal or two, I bring a Natick Electric Appliances Klon clone which works as a clean boost or an OD pedal. Really nice pedal, especially with smaller amps.

5. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

TS808(circa early 80's) and a CMATMODS Brownie.

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Light OD=Fulltone Fat Boost 3
    Medium gain=old Fulltone FD2
    Med-high gain=Xotic SL Drive
    Fuzz=EQD Hoof Reaper

Or(if big enough venue).....

Dr Z Z28, knobs at 3-3-3, guitar

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I will try to make it this next gig with one overdrive... But that's a dual function overdrive.. boost and OD.

But I think I will need something to thicken things up a touch.

As for overdrive ownership. I have many of them :D

8. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

Just for good measure, can everyone mention what amp they are using? I feel like that can significantly effect what OD you use!

I was doing EHX Green River for light OD when I had an AC15.

Currently I'm back to my DRRI and I find my Timmy works really well.

So its:

-Timmy
    -ZVex Box of Rock
    -EQD White Light

I also have a Rat that I'm not currently using.

9. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

I use a DRRI so you can see why I like those TS style pedals so much.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Mad Professor Simble OD. When I need more grit I hit it with my TS9.

11. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

While not Technically a Drive/Boost... I use an Analogman Low Gain White Dot NKT275 Sunface/Sundial and run it as clean as I can get it. Dial out all of the Fuzz and take it from there. It has nice Harmonics and tames an Ice Pick Strat Bride pup. Its my favorite for that.

This is probably my favorite Low Gain Drive even though Technically not a Drive. It can be used in this way.

If I want to Drive it Harder and not color it I will Boost it with a Timmy with the LM1458 chip.

If I want to have HUGE EQ Availability as well as over the top Drive I will drive it with a Moog Minifooger Drive.

If I was to pick between the Timmy and the Moog the Moog Easily wins.

The Moog can also be used as a Clean Boost. As little as 6.8db of Boost.

Or as much as 57db of High Gain. This pedal does Everything from Metal to Clean Boost that I prefer over a Timmy.

And I love the Timmy and will always keep it. But there are many more sounds in the Moog. Along with the Clean Clear Transparent Boost thing.

Most of the Drives mentioned are Great pedals and if we were all rich we could have all of them. So I don't want to say 1 is better than the other because 1 may have inherent sounds that others just don't have.

But Many people also use a Rat and Tube Screamer.

At the very last of the EQ'ing I like to use the 5 Knob Butler Tube Driver, but it doesn't really sound that great unless you can turn it up a bit. Not for Bedroom playing.

But for less than $200 dollars The Minifooger is my favorite Drive. It can also do Great Fuzz.

I play through a Metropoulos GMP45 Limited Edition which has some of the Best OD and No Pedal can Match. But Pedals give Greater Flexibility and ability to EQ/ and more Voicings.

The Moog really interacts well with my amps.

I also play through a 69 Dual Showman Reverb that was Blackfaced and has a Dumble ODS mod, Lamar Master Volume done by Hall Amplification.

Both amps have all NOS Valves.

I play through various speakers.

At the moment ( last 9 months ) Im using 2 x 1 x 12 TS806 Cabinets with Hemp Coned JBL E120s.

I also use Altec Lansing 2 x 15 418 8H

4 x 12 1972 Celestion G12M's Pulsonic cones

2 x 2 10's x 12's. Fane 10 and 12 inch AXA Alnicos

Hemp Coned JBL E130's 2 x 1 x 15 TS806 Type Cabinets but slightly larger and different porting.

4 x 12 Fane 100 watt Cresendos. And others but Im not using any of them except the JBL's.

Im trying to get away from 4 x 12 as Ive found 4 x 1 x 12 is MUCH BETTER than a 4 x 12.

I got 3 piece Backs so I can run my cabinets.... Ported, Sealed, Semi Open, Open. There are a Million Combinations with this set up. I can also mix 2x 1 x 12's and 2 x 1 x 15's.

But I usually just use 2 x 1 x 12's.

12. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I change it up all the time. Right now my go-to's are an Ibanez Mostortion, Greer Lightspeed, Nobels ODR-1, and a de-germed (mod) V4 OCD.

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looked for a used Chicken Soup, no luck today, so, I ended up ordering a Silver Pony (the kits are out of stock so I ordered the pre-assembled pedal). So NPD for me :) Belated X-mas from the wifey pooh.... Love you honey!!!! ;)

14. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I play through a Hot Rod Deluxe with a V30 and it loves Tubescreamers. The first OD box I bought was a VS Jekyll and Hyde and the TS808 that makes up the Jekyll side was my go-to lead voice for years. It's my favorite lead boost for sure.

For light OD I find myself using my Joyo Sweet Baby more and more. It started out filling a specific need but has basically become an always on pedal for me. I run in before my comp to enjoy the dynamics it has to offer.

I just added a Bogner Ecstasy Blue and Red to my board to act as medium and high gain respectively. That was quite an investment so I imagine they'll become my sound by a matter of principle. However, I see myself adding the Jekyll back into the mix somewhere down the line. That pedal just rips!

15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Two overdrives is enough for me... providing 3 distinctly different sounds and gain levels.

1: A very low gain dirt that just sounds like an extension of my amp. I use an OD-3 for that, but there are dozens to choose from.

2: A little higher gain (but not too much) with a mid boost. I use a TS-9, but any tube screamer variant that DOESN'T remove the mid hump will work fine. IMO nothing finds it's place in a mix better than a tube screamer.

3: For full out gain - both pedals on. It's still not "high gain" in the modern sense... more like late 70's or early 80's gain levels.

16. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

TS808> MI Audio Crunchbox > Fulltone Fulldrive> Micro amp
    Heavy is the Crunchbox for solo's I add the 808
    Low drive is the FD2, for solo's I add the 808
    Blues 808, for solo's I add the MicroAmp

I could do it all with just a TS808 and Crunchbox into a 70's Princeton Reverb or DRRI

17. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

I'm using a Boss SD-1 and a BD-2. This works for me

18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Catlinbreads' Karma Suture & SFT.

19. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

I'm running the Caroline Guitar Company Haymaker overdrive.

Really loving the versatility of it. If I'm stuck using a house amp that might not be the best, I can probably make it sound better with this.

Sometimes I swap it out with a Barber Gain Changer. The Gain Changer is cleaner and smoother.

20. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Gain Changer
    Rat 2 modified with LM308N and 6 different diode combinations
    SD-1 modified to FD-2 specs with bass boost, cut or norm
    Kalamazoo
    Dual Lotus 2 (one of my faves)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.