OD-3 Redux

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
So this might be part III in an unintended trilogy regarding modifications to this fine yellow box of sound.

I've sorted out the gain issue, for those of you who witnessed that low level fiasco. So here's where it stands now. The four component mod to reduce the bass frequencies that get clipped, in order to eliminate the spitty/crackly decay, and the overall 'boominess' of the OD-3 works, and it works well.

So here's what's new. I'm not using the amp I once used with this. While the OD-3 still sounds great, it now sounds a bit congested through my current rig. So I'm looking to open up the sound a tad. Not too much, just enough.

Some would say tag a BAT 42 onto the 1N400x put in place of the stock diodes at D10/D11. Don't want to do that, as that's clamping things down in order to help correct the decay issue.

I'm thinking maybe make some changes to diodes D6/D7, but the question is what? Maybe the idea above, 1N400x in series with a BAT 42 at D6/D7? Maybe something else? Pulling C35 as in the "accidental OD-3 mod"?

I'm open to suggestions, the only caveat is that it needs to be simple, no more than four or five parts changed *at most* The fewer the better.

Thanks!

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
Nobels ODR-1BC (cheap), or even better, a Nordland ODR-C (not so cheap).
I've had a Nobels. Very different animal from the OD-3. I have a layout for the Norland ODR-C on vero. It's on the list to build, with three or four other things.

I am collecting non SMD OD-3s. Most will stay semi-stock, meaning the 'nip and tuck' mod where four parts are changed. I'm willing to change one a little further to work with my current rig. They still sound great, just not quite as open sounding as they had with my previous main amp. I'm finding some ideas online regarding how to make a few simple changes, one or two components, to open things up a bit. This pedal has garnered a great deal of discussion over the last twelve to fifteen years. No surprise, really.

RandomPrecision

TDPRI Member
I am collecting non SMD OD-3s. Most will stay semi-stock, meaning the 'nip and tuck' mod where four parts are changed. I'm willing to change one a little further to work with my current rig. They still sound great, just not quite as open sounding as they had with my previous main amp. I'm finding some ideas online regarding how to make a few simple changes, one or two components, to open things up a bit. This pedal has garnered a great deal of discussion over the last twelve to fifteen years. No surprise, really.

Exactly which four components are you changing, and from what to what? I'm pretty sure I've read all the threads here about the OD-3, and there's been a few varying "nip and tuck" mods over the years. Curious which particular mod(s) you're referring to.

Here's another thread over on PedalPCB Forums where the OD-3 circuit is studied and modded in detail.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
Given that Boss has 'Waza'd four drive pedals now, I wonder if it is too much to hope for that we might eventually see an OD-3w?

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
Exactly which four components are you changing, and from what to what? I'm pretty sure I've read all the threads here about the OD-3, and there's been a few varying "nip and tuck" mods over the years. Curious which particular mod(s) you're referring to.

Here's another thread over on PedalPCB Forums where the OD-3 circuit is studied and modded in detail.
Ask Keith/11guage as it was his mod, and he asked for it to stay under the radar.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That's certainly the 'good consumer' approach. I'm actually going to buy five of the same pedal and modify one or two of them. So that's the best of both worlds!
I can do basic soldering, guitar and cable stuff. But I don’t have the right tools for smaller circuit repair. But I have experienced with makers like Ryan at Fuzzrocious using parts I requested.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Given that Boss has 'Waza'd four drive pedals now, I wonder if it is too much to hope for that we might eventually see an OD-3w?
I actually wonder if that isn't somewhat covered by the Waza BD-2, which to my understanding has a lot in common with the OD-3.

I'm really interested in the Wazas, but I'm just not in dire need of anything that they do, and already have the requisite five dirt pedals, delays, and whatnot - oh, and chorus is dumb and I hate it, so that's where I've saved money.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
I actually wonder if that isn't somewhat covered by the Waza BD-2, which to my understanding has a lot in common with the OD-3.

I'm really interested in the Wazas, but I'm just not in dire need of anything that they do, and already have the requisite five dirt pedals, delays, and whatnot - oh, and chorus is dumb and I hate it, so that's where I've saved money.
I have a Mooer Blues Mood, which is supposedly the Keeley Blues Driver. It sounds nothing like the OD3. Much thinner and brighter.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
Didn't you swap out a pair of 1n4148 for 1n400x? Try going back to the 1n4148. IiRC, the 4148s have a little higher vF and should give you a less compressed sound. Might be all you need.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a Mooer Blues Mood, which is supposedly the Keeley Blues Driver. It sounds nothing like the OD3. Much thinner and brighter.
Oh, owning both the BD-2 AND OD-3, I'll absolutely confirm that the BD-2 is thinner and brighter. I actually modded one to bring back a little of the low end so that it would behave with my baritone. Aside from the actual frequency response though, I hear and feel them breaking up and responding to my playing very similarly. My best understanding (coming from some analysis here on the TDPRI) is that the OD-3 is a development of the BD-2 ideas. I can definitely hear that.

For whatever reason, the BD-2 remains more popular, so that what they Waza'd. I figure another advancement of the BD-2 may actually provide something new and interesting. I haven't tried it though.

HandCarver

TDPRI Member
If Boss does a OD-3W I'll buy one for sure. I have the OD-3 from early 2000s and used to hate it thru my amp with single coils. I love it with humbuckers. I ordered an ODR-1 BC the other day. Have always liked other players' sound with that one as well. Using a bright amp with the OD-3 can keep it harsh. The BD was a no go with my Twin Reverb. According to The Wampler Pedal owner, the OD-3 already has a pretty profound circuit so I would bet Boss would price a Waza version north of $200.00.

Last edited:

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
If Boss does a OD-3W I'll buy one for sure. I have one and used to hate it thru my amp with sigle coils. I love it with humbuckers. I ordered an ODR-1 BC the other day. Have always liked other players' sound with that one as well. According to The Wampler Pedal owner, the OD-3 already has a pretty profound circuit so I would bet Boss would price a Waza version north of $200.00.
Yeah, probably. And actually, running an EP3 style preamp after it such as an EP boost really brings it out nicely. Even the cheap Mosky copy

HandCarver

TDPRI Member
Yeah, probably. And actually, running an EP3 style preamp after it such as an EP boost really brings it out nicely. Even the cheap Mosky copy
I've held off on the EP boost but may end up with one. I kind of like the Super Clean/Super Sweet pedals, but I'm not sure I want those. Seems like the EP boost give a nicer bit of color from what I can hear in online demos. Right now I use a Keeley Comp 2 knob as a sort of booster. It's nice but I have never really gravitated to compressors much. If I have one pedal that gives me buyer's remorse it's the Keeley.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
I've held off on the EP boost but may end up with one. I kind of like the Super Clean/Super Sweet pedals, but I'm not sure I want those. Seems like the EP boost give a nicer bit of color from what I can hear in online demos. Right now I use a Keeley Comp 2 knob as a sort of booster. It's nice but I have never really gravitated to compressors much. If I have one pedal that gives me buyer's remorse it's the Keeley.
The Mosky sounds much the same, but like the first EP boost version, it doesn't do unity gain

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
Didn't you swap out a pair of 1n4148 for 1n400x? Try going back to the 1n4148. IiRC, the 4148s have a little higher vF and should give you a less compressed sound. Might be all you need.
I changed out D10 and D11 for 1n4001. I'm afraid of opening that threshold much more for fear of getting the return of the spitty decay. I have a few 1n4148. I can try it. I may need to lower C14 and C35 to .47 rather than the suggested minimum of .68. I just don't want to hear that crackly decay return. Crackly decay not okay.