OD-2R low pass filter / Bass increase? help please!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telepath, Aug 22, 2012.

1. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Hi,

I have posted a similar question on a stomp-box forum, but thought I'd ask here also.

I have a Boss OD-2 ('turbo' OD) - MIJ.
    The non footswithchable older model.
    I really like it. Quite different to most other Boss OD's

I was able to usefully mod it easily by putting a SPDT to toggle the C35 cap between stock (.18uF) and a .22uF

Works a treat for a little bit more low-end if required, and no vol loss nor change of tonal characteristic when engaged

I got the idea from an ancient post I found by Brian Wampler from back in his IndyGuitarist days

Happy with my mod, I then also managed to snag a OD-2R - MIT , the later one with the remote switch.
    It is louder (good!) but aside from that it sounds very, very similar.
    However the circuit is apparently completely different :eek:

I'd really hoped I could do the same , simple 'one cap' mod to the OD-2R

Ok I'm waffling:

My request is - does anyone have any good info on lowering the low-pass / bass cut on an OD-2R MIT please?

or

Could anyone with a good eye tell me which cap is the OD-2 'C35' equivalent on an OD-2R maybe? I tried, but that is beyond my skills!

Schematics for both - attached.
    On the OD-2 MIJ schematic 'C35' is the .18uF up there in the top right

Any help much appreciated!

edit: sorry - those attached schematics dont seem to enlarge too well as attachments here. I can try uploading them somewhere maybe.

Attached Files:

2. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

According to Mr.Wampler's book, increase C12 to add bass to the turbo channel; increase C17 to add bass to the normal channel. He recommends .22uf for both but that's such a big change from the stock .018uf I suspect it could be a typo. You might PM him about that.

3. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

CousinPaul, you are a star! Thank you!

That adds up nice. I see now on the MIT schem that C12 and C17 are both .18uF and the change you advise that B.W. suggests is to a .22uF, so it is not actually that big a change up - and in fact it is the same value changes exactly as the one change (C35) on the simpler circuit OD-2 MIJ.
    (and which worked out really well)

I just needed to know which caps to change in the MIT, as there were a few potential candidates on the board there to my amateur eye - and you came up trumps.

Very much appreciated.

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

All I did was look it up in Brian's book. According to the book, the stock value of both caps is .018uf, not .18uf so it really is a pretty big change. Let us know how the mod works out.

5. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Cheers - will do.
    Schematic shows .18uF for the two caps you mention, so I think that .018 may be a typo .

Previous (successful) mod to an OD-2 MIJ was to swap an .18uF (C35) to a .22uF, so at this point, I'm relatively confident.

I have some .22's in the post - then I will crack it open, give it a go and report back.

6. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Thanks, that mod worked out great. OD and Turbo mode now have a bit more girth and low end.
    Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.