1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ocular Migraine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

light as a trigger - yes

sometimes even cell phone screen

they are. Pull out your fillings too.
    I much prefer Jolly Ranchers...

william tele likes this.
  2. rockhound

rockhound TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

^This. I get them when I don't get enough sleep (had not thought about the drinking part).

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yes, they are very annoying. I get them frequently. There is no headache or pain involved.

But it is a pain in the butt if I am up a real long ladder trying to paint a window and I can't see anything in the center of my vision. I'm used to it now, but it's not a lot of fun.

Don't know if anyone posted this yet:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

willie likes this.
  4. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

This subject came up on another website a few years ago and only three or four people said they'd experienced the symptoms. An awful lot of members here - me included - have had it. Could it be... Telecaster related... :eek:
    Step away from the guitar, sir.

Matthias and willie like this.
  5. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

I had it happen once after an hour of shoveling heavy deep snow: jagged shimmering prismatic line in my field of vision, like the edge of a shard of glass. Lasted a few minutes, did not know what it was at the time.

6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've had a couple just like the OP. Not for years though. They're quite trippy!

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

8. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

yeah these are pretty common. I've had them off and on since childhood. these days maybe once or twice a year and when they start I take 2 advil and they usually go away in an hour. a dr. told me a long time ago they were classic signs of migraine.

9. Matthias

Sorry to hear that. I have a touch of this, although not as bad as some people report. It either came on or got worse in my late teens, I guess slowly as I thought it was normal until I realised there were some things I couldn't see quite as well. The best way I can describe it is high ISO film grain all the time resulting in a slightly flickery effect on solid colours and high contrast edges. I thought everyone saw like that for years and I think a lot of people do experience it to some degree, especially when it's dark.

It's only really obstructive to life if I try and star gaze. I wish I could see the night sky like I did as a kid. I miss being able to see small stars and pick out the milky way properly. Although, reading black on white isn't the most comfortable thing to do. It probably came on about the same time as my slight tinnitus (ringing). I sometimes wonder if they're interlinked.

10. Uncle Daddy

We have similar stuff going on. I can't see the night sky without the static either, and my tinnitus is a constant high pitched whine that's worse that a Coldplay album. Normally I tune them both out, but in the quiet of the night or low light levels, or if I start thinking about it, it seems much more intrusive.

11. Uncle Daddy

When I was a kid I used to see trails of red or blue dots running through my vision, like a row of tiny birds flying through the sky in a line. I used to look forward to it!

12. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I had no idea these were as common as the responses here indicate.

I started getting them when I was 13. But mine were a little different; my vision would start to go dark around the edges and gradually close down until it was like I was looking through a tiny pinhole. Almost complete darkness.

Of course I thought I was going blind. Was relieved to learn the term ocular migraine. I had no headache, though.

I had them off and on through my teens, but I haven’t had any since ~20 yr old.

willie likes this.
  13. Matthias

I've never had anything like that! I imagine some of this like the static is a "normal" part of how we see and there's a range... but either by injury or a quirk, the effects get uncomfortable in some people.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If I get one, I can usually function through it, but it's better if I just sit quietly with my eyes closed for a little while, and it soon clears up. I think mine may be minor compared to some that have it, but they are very real when they are going on. I have had an episode or two right here at my desk. I just stop, lean back in my chair, relax with my eyes shut. I can still see the lightening bars even with my eyes shut. When they start to dissipate with my eyes closed, I can open my eyes and they then recede altogether.

willie and william tele like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Normally I’d try to work in some bit about Roy Buchanan’s live tone being another well-known Ocular migraine trigger but - I’m just not feeling it today...

Toto'sDad and willie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.