1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ocular Migraine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Had one today. This is what it looked like. It freaked me out. Started out as a tiny disturbance in the center of my left eye. Over a span of 30 minutes it rippled out from the center to the edge and was gone.

Talked to my ophthalmologist’s nurse and when it disappeared I got the go ahead to resume life.

Really bizarre

A2DFDB3D-9A80-42AC-A437-C40755947D93.jpeg

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I've had these for almost 40 years. They do not cause a headache for me and pretty much are gone in 30 to 45 minutes.

Mike Eskimo, KT89 and Buckocaster51 like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm....

Interesting, I’ve had the occasional “eye floaty” but never had that happen

electrichead likes this.
  4. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

The visual disturbance is called a scotoma, I get it occasionally and been told it's a symptom of a silent migraine. Yes, quite alarming the first time. What were you doing when it happened? Inside? Under artificial lighting or in front of a computer screen?
    I've never had it outdoors or suffered a headache..
    There was a Bad Dog thread on this subject four or five years ago; quite a few people have had it as well.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  5. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I get them often, usually when underslept. I get a hole in my vision or a flickering and strobing darkness. I blast it with caffeine, and chill for a while until it passes. I can't do much while it's happening.

6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Yikes !

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I thought you were going to say an Ocular Migraine pedal!

OK seriously, so sorry man I hate migraines. I had them a lot in my 40's. Weird eye things like a dark fuzzy ring tunnel vision, flashes etc. Stuffy nose, ear ache, neck ache. Sometimes only a dark room would help. Went onfor a couple decades off and on. Especially under flourescent lights. They'd come out of nowhere. Ugh.
    I realized that the smell of coffee made me nauseous when I had a migraine. Eventually I said "hmmmm...?" I quit drinking coffee and they went away. Coincidence? I'll never know, but started drinking one cup of coffee only and it's been ok.

One reason I thought about coffee is I was in an outdoor market and tried that south american drink "Mate" (pr: Mah Tay")
    It IMMMEDIATELY gave me a migraine like headache. I researched and it's very high in caffeine.

bcorig likes this.
  8. steadyriot

steadyriot Tele-Meister

I used to get those from Deadlifting back when I was into lifting weights. Switched to swimming and it went away.
    Was scary the first time though, even had an MRI to make sure nothing was amiss.
    Eye doc figured something got pressured the wrong way when lifting 120 kg's.

I always had to take a nap, 30 minutes of sleep always cleared it right up.

9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I stated getting these five or so years ago. First time it happened I was in a big box store (fluorescent lights etc) and really hungry /dehydrated. It really freaked me out. Thought I was going blind. Luckily my gf was with me, led me out of the store and got me hydrated. It went away after about an hour, but I was seriously wiped out after. Took a few days to feel normal.

After that I got them sort of frequently. As time went on they got less scary and less exhausting. Happened one time while driving alone on the interstate while traveling. Came on slow enough I was able to safely exit and find a shady spot in which to wait it out.

I never (knock on wood) have had headaches or nausea involved with mine. They come on and move through my field of vision and are generally gone in a half hour or forty-five minutes .

Took a bit to figure out, but mine seem to be brought on by chocolate, which I love and ate a lot of at the time. Cut the chocolate out, and they went away. Now I'll only have a bit of chocolate once every couple months and it seems to be a small enough amount to not trigger them.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Migraine auras? Since I was 14.

Aura > headache (sometimes excruciating) > extreme nausea > hurl-o-rama.

In about 45-60mins, I would go from perfectly fine to completely dysfunctional.

Only in very recent years has the last two phases diminished. I can now still stay at work after an imitrex shot. For most of my life that wasn’t the case. Even if the headache was excruciating, it was never the headache that was the worst part. It was the nausea.

Bill, Marc Morfei, Frontier9 and 3 others like this.
  11. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

An ocular migraine is different than the kind that causes extreme headaches and nausea. Really no physical discomfort other than feeling slightly drained when it goes away.

The first time I had one I was driving. i didn't know what was going on and it was a bit scary.

For a while I would get them 2-3 times per year. They seem to be happening more frequently lately.

For me they seem to be set off by fatigue or sometimes by a flash of sunlight off of an object like the rear view mirror of a car in front of me. The best thing to do is lay down with legs elevated until it subsides. Sometimes I work right through it but reading or using a level or other tasks that require close detailed work is impossible for about 30 minutes.

Apparently it isn't a dangerous condition and doesn't cause any lasting problems.

12. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

This is actually a pretty common thing - interesting that you've not experienced it earlier in your life but are now. I know many others who have this - in my case I used to get them as a kid with the full 9 yards of migraines - headaches, nausea. As I got older, the headaches became much less of an issue, and the "cycle time" - i.e., the time to run through the whole thing - became more rapid, now being typically 30-45 minutes. However, I still end up feeling a bit run down afterwards on days when this happens.

For me, they go in spurts - I'll have none for as long as 6 months, and then I'll have one a few times in a week. I am bothered by overhead fans in restaurants if the lighting is above the fan because the "flicker" reminds me so much of the flickering rim of the shapes you describe. I even worry that flickering like that in a room will trigger one for me - I think it has happened that way before.

So, you learn to live with it as do many others and also the anxiety about it becomes much less - because you know it will go away.

Whatizitman likes this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Are you certain it was an ocular migraine and not a mini-stroke (TIA)?

electrichead and Fretting out like this.
  14. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

I get those from time to time. Maybe every other year. They're freaky aren't they?

15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Visual migraines happen in both eyes at once and are harmless. Ocular migraines happen in one eye and may be a medical emergency. Your retina may be detaching.

I have the harmless visual migraines but no headache.

16. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Had these migraines for over 40 years.I had to pull over and stop driving a couple times because of it. I've also had a couple TIA's. It is nothing like those. Once awhile I get a bad headache afterwords. Seems 1 or 2 times a year it occurs.

17. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Interesting, people's comments about caffeine and chocolate. I think the first time I ever had one was a day after getting hit in the head pretty hard with a football when I was 12. My dad took me to a doctor who said maybe I had a detached retina. So that's what I thought for years and years. Later, at my first job out of college, I used to mix a packet of Swiss Miss powdered cocoa into a cup of coffee for a morning sugar/caffeine blast. That set it off almost every time.

This time when I went to the doctor he told me I didn't seem to have a detached retina and said it was due to constriction of blood flow in the visual cortex. And stop drinking the cocoa/coffee combo if that's what seemed to trigger it.

Any more, I get it two or three times a year and don't have any other ideas as to what triggers it.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've had it a few times. The first time I thought I was having a stroke or a detached retina. In my case it is a small blob in the center of vision that grows and then fadesout. It lasts about 30 minutes.

Looks like this for me:

[​IMG]

Digital Larry likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I've had both. many migraines of mine started with the ocular part. But other times, it was just that vision thing and didn't go further. it happens very occasionally still looking at the computer screen in the am.

20. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I've had them for almost 20 years... usually at least a couple of times a month. When I stand up quickly after being seated for a while, I get light headed, then in about 10-15 minutes I get bursts and strobes of bright colors so intense that if I'm driving, I can't distinguish what color traffic lights are. This lasts for about 20 minutes. All of this is followed by splitting headaches that last around thirty minutes to an hour. Lights and sounds are extremely intense.That can be accompanied by a condition that it makes it difficult to find the words I need to speak coherently... like I'm having a stroke. That can last up to 15 minutes. The whole episode is like my brain has been intensely bombarded or shorted out, and overall, can take over an hour to almost two.

Since I've been taking CBD oil, almost a year, the headaches have completely disappeared. I still get the lightheadedness, and occasionally the colors and some speech difficulties, but the CBD oil has been very beneficial... worth the money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.