1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Octafuzz alternative

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ash Telecaster, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Hi all,

I had a Fulltone Octafuzz and loved it. Unfortunately it didn't work with my power supply even with a polarity changer so I sold it.

I would like to find an alternative that is sonically similar but uses a standard negative center pin power supply.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

2. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

I've heard that the Octafuzz's are very good.

I personally use a Suhr Rufus Reloaded Fuzz with a octive up function which is engaged when you hold down the pedal button or switch it with a separate foot switcher. Love it. xoowgpjg2yq542nvybtq.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Foxrox Octron is fantastic... it's not really a fuzz WITHOUT the octave tho. The new Danelectro Eisenhower isn't strictly an octave fuzz, but it's in there... I love it.

Interestingly, I went through many octave fuzzes. I now have an Eisenhower, and I really dig it, it's kind of unique. As for octave fuzzes that have a SWITCHABLE octave, the best I owned was an MJM Roctavios. I never did own the Octafuzz... I too wanted something that could handle "regular" center negative polarity... I almost burned up an expensive Analogman Sunface like that, and that was the end on different-polarity pedals for me.

4. Ash Telecaster

I was reading through some blogs and was getting dizzy regarding the different octave fuzz types, Octavia, Tycobrehe, etc. Any idea what "type" of octave fuzz the Octafuzz is? And are the Rufus and Octon, etc that type? Or am I making this too complicated?

Edit: just found an article on Reverb...

"the Fulltone Octafuzz is a versatile pedal based on the original TychoBrahe Octavia. Made famous by Hendrix"

neilybob100 likes this.
  5. ruger9

FYI, the MJM I mentioned is also a Tychobrahe variant.

6. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Sorry not sure which the Suhr is based on.

Love this video review though.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

7. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

My favorite Octave fuzz I've tried is the Danelectro French Toast. It's a clone of the Foxx Tone Machine - arguably the most accurate clone available. Funny thing is I don't really care for the Octave up feature - I just enjoy the fuzz without it, a very nice Big Muff type fuzz.

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I have very little experience in the fuzz world but, I noticed that most of the germanium based vintage style fuzzes have center + power jacks. Both of the fuzzes I own (Fulltone ‘69, Moollon British Octah) are this way. Both also came with a disclaimer card saying they sound best using battery power.... I have taped over the power jacks on both pedals. I bet I still manage to fry them someday...

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

VL Proctavia.
    Al

10. Ash Telecaster

Any thoughts on the LA Machine or Octavix?

Both looked good on a That Pedal Show shootout.

11. ruger9

Had them both, imo they don't compare to the others mentioned (Fulltone, MJM, Dunlop, etc)... IF you're looking for the Hendrix-y Tychobrahe sound. The LA is a Foxx copy, and while the EHX is a tychobrahe (I think), it's VERY "rough around the edges"... better Tychobrahes out there.

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

how about a mini pog into a fuzz?

13. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

green ringer into other fuzz of choice

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Budget?

In the cheap seats is the Joyo Voodoo Octave. The fuzz side of things is quite good, while the octave feature adds a new level of nasty. Nasty in a good way. The octave is switched, so you can have just the fuzz, or fuzz+octave, but you can't have just the octave.

Along with the two footswitches, there's a fuzz control, tone control and level, plus a selectable mid cut. Single notes sound very good. Two string power chords work. More complex chords can smoosh, which may or may not be desired.

Restraint is required when dialling it in. Used carefully, it gets a very 'Hendrixey' sound. Also fun for atmospheric playing. Can respond very well to picking changes. Spinal Tap the controls and it's awful, in a bad way.

A curate's egg of a pedal.

15. 4pickupguy

I’m recording a demo of the Moollon British Octah I drug home from Korea. I‘ve been having a blast with it. It’s glitchy, spitty and is just full of cool rich harmonic goodness. It’s not just having an octave in your fuzz. It’s all the insane “destructor beast” madness that goes with it. Well, for me anyway..
    I’ve got the “fuzz” knob all the way off and the level to just above unity. It’s going into a cheap OCD clone and it sounds very cool:cool:.
    It sounds really cool going into a Fuzz Face style pedal too.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  16. Ash Telecaster

Thought I would follow up on this. Ultimately I bought a few pedals and did a shootout. The contestants were...
    1. Rufus
    2. La Machine
    3. Octavix

The Octavix has an Octave mix control which, in my opinion, should be a standard feature on all Octave Fuzz pedals but isn't. It is a fun pedal but honestly didnt hold up well against the other 2 primarily because it had a more muffled overall sound.

The LA Machine was very close to the Rufus. You can disengage the Octave but in my opinion the fuzz on its own wasn't great.

The Rufus was the clear winner. The pedal just feels like quality. Plus the tracking was amazing. It didn't matter if you used the neck or bridge pickup or where on the neck you play. It is a solidly great pedal.

Now to compare the Rufus with the Octafuzz. The Octafuzz had serious limitations. You had to use the neck pickup and you were limited on were and how you played to bring out the octave. But the pedal was super fun. You learn to use its limitations to add variety to your playing. It made you work to get the goods but in a good way. If only it wasn't incompatible with my power supply. I would still happily own that pedal. The Rufus is a superior pedal in every way. It solves all the problems that are inherrant to the Octafuzz. I still miss the Octafuzz but I have to say that Suhr lives up to their reputation for superior engineering.

ruger9 and 4pickupguy like this.
  17. 4pickupguy

Can you post any sound samples? The octave fuzzes are indeed strange animals. They can be some of the harshest sounding pedals on their own for sure. Running the fuzz knob very low and the pedal volume knob high really brings out the octave effect but they need to be running into something to tame them. The ones born of the Roger Mayer circuit have some really cool complex crazy stuff that happens. I think I heard someone describe it as kind of a "halo" around the notes. As you crank the fuzz knob up it diminishes the octacve effect and you can get some huge fuzz tones but again these are very harsh on their own and very cool running through something to tame them.
    I would love to hear the Rufus's octave funtion!! The demos out there make it sound like more of a distortion and less fuzz like...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  18. Ash Telecaster

The other two are already packed to sell but I'll record the Rufus. It will take me a couple days to get to it.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.