Oceans - [drum solo content]

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by mrboson, Sep 22, 2014.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I'm speechless... so help me out and compose a caption for this video

2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

My wife was checking Facebook saturday morning, and one of our worship band guitarists had posted this on his FB page. She played it for me, and I actually shot my coffee out of my nose from laughing so hard, when I heard it. To be fair, I thought the singer's super speed vibrato was almost as amazing as the drum solo.

I'd vote for "We don't do no stinking covers" or "So close, and yet so far" or maybe an Agent Smart title "Missed it by That Much".

I didn't see the video this weekend, I just heard the audio. I thought the drummer had some Roto Toms. I see now that he's playing an electronic kit, which I should have guessed.

3. GuitarGuy43113

GuitarGuy43113 Tele-Meister

I read elsewhere (on the internet so who knows if it's true) that this was supposed to be an instructional video. So the other instruments were very low in the mix and the drums were purposely turned up for this video. Kind of makes sense since you see an acoustic guitar but can't hear it.

Besides, is it right to make fun of another group who might still be in the developmental stage of their worship team?

4. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

GuitarGuy, you may be right about the instructional video, and you for sure are right about it being wrong to make fun of a group making a serious effort to develop their band.

But in this particular case, if it was part of an "instructional video," I'd be interested in hearing what the drummer thinks about his performance. Was he trying to show what overplaying does to the song? Or did he honestly think that his contribution matched what his bandmates (and the singer) were doing?

At any rate, I say this not in judgment of the drummer as a person, but from drummer to drummer, (again, if this was an instruction video) that wasn't a very good demonstration of drumming, technically speaking. Someone close to him would be doing him a huge favor by kindly letting him know that he was over-extending himself publicly, and not in a positive way. Play fast... whoopee. Play in time and with a groove and feel? Put those hours and hours and hours in with the metronome and the groove tracks. That was the drummer equivalent of a useless wheedely-wheedely sequence of nonsense by a worship team's lead guitarist. Adds nothing to the song, but usually does demonstrate a player's actual lack of skill. If you must wheedely-wheedely, at least do it well! (yeah, that's another topic all together)

Let's just say this was a pirate mobile-phone video taken by someone watching a serious rehearsal. Under those circumstances, taking the video and putting it on youtube, not cool. But now it's out there, and when I watch it, it's face-palm time for me. The performance by the drummer was awful, no matter how one wants to look at the circumstances. Maybe it is not fair to him for it to be made public, but maybe his WL should have reigned him in a bit before it got to that point?

Yep, lots of lesson opportunities in this one...

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If you watch the video, when the drummer starts, a dialog window pops up. If you read the dialog, it says something like click here to see how this moment could be saved or something like that. If you click on it, you get re-directed to Amazon and to a book by a Worship Leader/Blogger on how to take control of every moment and direct your life….kind of Carpe Diem stuff. Which as a side note, I find it rather interesting that a worship leader is peddaling self help, self direction materials, but I've not read the book, so am not giving it a negative endorsement. I just found it questionable and would personally be immediately skeptical of it.

Anyway, I think that video is totally staged as a form of advertisement and/or marketing for the above author/blogger. Whether it is real or not, it is still ridiculously funny. Even if it were real, It would still make me laugh, because it is ridiculous, and Political Correctness is over rated.

6. GuitarGuy43113

GuitarGuy43113 Tele-Meister

And that is my take on the video, if we use it as an honest learning tool then it has value (for both us and the band that created it).

If we use it to belittle and make fun of the group then we are hypocrites. Not accusing anyone on this board of that, just trying to keep the focus in the right direction.

After reading a few other posts above this one, I am starting to think it is an ad and not a real band. But I honestly don't know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.