OCD help

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by cntry666, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

??? why on earth would you need to? I use an OCD, switch back and forth between it and an Il Torino (both are good) and I dont need anything to boost the OCD, even with the gain up about noon.

I really dont know what kind of sound you're after. As someone mentioned, maybe just an EQ to boost the mids. In my lowly opinion, you sure dont need a dirt boost with the OCD.

2. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Run the OCD on 18v instead of 9V. That'll boost it for ya. That should be all you need IMO.

3. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I'm just curious... what are you trying to accomplish with the boost pedal?... more volume with the same amount of distortion?... or more distortion from the OCD? ... or a combination of both?

If you're looking for a volume boost, why wouldn't any volume boost pedal placed after the OCD work?

If you want more distortion, or a combo of more volume & more distortion, any overdrive pedal placed before the OCD should give you the exact amount of both that you're looking for... just make sure some of the extra distortion is coming from the other pedal and set that pedal's output to where you're getting the right amount of volume increase... right?

4. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Looking for volume and dirt to add to the OCD. I just got a Zendrive clone so I’ll try that tonight.

5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Hmm, the OCD does sound slightly different when running on 18V instead of 9V - maybe it also influences the interactions with other pedals? Ever tried running a different power-supply?

I use the OCD for low gain, my main overdrive tone comes from my amp (Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 35th Anniversary). The combination of both is for going wild. works fine.
    I use my booster (T-Rex Tonebug Booster) only for more volume, that's why it's in the effectloop of my amp.
    I used to have more different gain settings, but I realized that I only need those three, the rest is switching the pick-ups and using volume and tone knobs on my guitar.

6. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

20181024_172938.jpg
    Nice G Bone

heltershelton likes this.
  7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

That's with the boost after the OCD, right? Is your amp set totally clean? Because then yeah, you don't need a lot of boost for things to get way out of control. It may help to set your amp up where it's just barely breaking up; that tiny bit of compression will keep your volume under control and could give you more flexibility with your booster settings. (FWIW I use a TC Spark Mini in my effects loop and it gives me all I need with the knob at about 7:30. 8:00 is too much.)

Alternatively, you could just ditch the boost altogether, set your pedals and amp up so that they sound good to you with your guitar volume at about 50-75%, and just crank it up all the way for solos. I find the OCD works really well when used that way, and as a bonus you don't have to go running back over to your pedalboard to flip into solo mode.

8. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I bought a Joyo Tai Chi (Zen Drive Clone). Totally works. Thanks for all your help!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.