OCD clone recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lineboat, Oct 29, 2018.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

At the risk of breaking forum rules, I'm about to list a Danelectro Cool Cat Drive v1 in the classifieds. I've never used an actual OCD, but all the internet and YouTube buzz is that this is an inexpensive OCD clone.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I was disapointed to find the FET isn t really clipping, just its internal diode, but for non-tube distortion it does sound good.

3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I am neither a fan of Mooer or tiny pedals, but the Mooer Hustle drive caught my attention (and a few other people in the store) when I fired a used one up at a GC sometime back. It was really, really good. Never picked it up, but its one of those pedals that I have always remembered and thought I need to look at it again...

Dixon in Korea likes this.
  4. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

leonard d rock likes this.
  5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

+1 for the Eno Trouble

6. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

The Mooer Hustle Drive sounds fantastic. I later got a modded OCD clone because I found that I hate the tiny little knobs on the Mooer pedals, but there was nothing wrong with the Hustle Drive’s sound.

7. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

low priced joyo ultimate drive is fine and so is the mid priced ehx glove

8. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I have a EHX Od Glove coming in the mail. I'm hoping to get anything from clean boost to full out distortion mayhem. Let's see how it turns out.

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

V.1? V.2? V.3? V.4?
    There are loyal fans for each.
    ** Some of these go for $250 to over $400 on Reverb. **

Buy a clone. They are nothing special, and who cares which version it may be similar to as long as you like it.

kevsonic likes this.
  10. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I used my friend's V.1.4 for years and liked it. Finally I bought my own last March, the new version of the pedal, V.2. It was $105, bought direct from Fulltone. I agree with you that most of us wouldn't care which version. But I try not to buy clones of pedals that are still in production. I just don't think it's fair to the creator of the circuit. I'm ok buying clones of circuits that aren't in production anymore.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

[deleted double post]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a V1.4 OCD which replaced the prior several early versions in the first year or so because the early ones got more complaints, where the 1.4 satisfied all but a few curmudgeons who feel "the original is best".
    Hoping not to offend anyone, those curmudgeons are a bunch of nutters!

I also have two Voodoo Lab Overdrive pedals that the OCD is based on.
    And I've read that the VLOD was based on the DOD 250.

Plus I bought an Oddfellow Caveman V1 for around $60 used, which is based on the OCD, but has a second boost footswitch.
    I really like the fat tone of the OCD with gain at zero, so I hoped the boost switch would allow a cleaner and a dirtier OCD sound in one box.

Seems like every pedal that is based on or even a direct copy of another pedal inevitably sounds different from its predecessor.

All that said, I guess buying a pedal to put in a tackle box on a boat might inspire me to save $30 and buy a disposable Chinese knockoff.
    Otherwise, I don't see the point, but maybe that makes me another nutter?

King Creole likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

For the first half of the day i could not get on the TDPRI, and now it's having trouble loading?

14. telemnemonics

Having trouble loading pages and getting multiples...

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You might not even like the OCD even if you get one of the originals... ?

It seems like it gets lauded as great no matter what but I've been playing with mine on my Orange amp for a few months and I just can't seem to get on with it. Sometimes it's good but often I go play something and it sounds bad.

It probably really depends on your amp and how you're using it.

I'm mostly wanting to use an OD to go on top of an amp already breaking up a little bit.

For me it seems like the OCD gives you a lot of control of treble & presence but not much if any on bass, what I have issue with is the Bass response. I have an OCD v2 FWIW.

16. telemnemonics

I have an Orange OR15 and an Orange AD30.
    Neither amp likes any sort SS dirt into the front end compared to the tube dirt they already make.
    It's possible that the amp sounds OK with SS dirt but just sounds so much better as an all tube distorted amp.
    Might have to do with the design where the first gain stage is overdriving the second gain stage. Amps that typically need pedals or full volume for dirty sounds have a first gain stage that does not overdrive the second gain stage.

With my OCD I prefer the lower gain settings (with othher amps), including running it with the gain knob pegged at zero where it still passes signal.
    Not sure if the V2 does this the same as my V1.4.

17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The V2 passes signal with the gain off too.

It works best for me with minimal gain too but it just ends up seeming unnecessary as there’s no real way to use it subtly.

I have a rocker 15, as far as I know it has 3 tubes in cascading gain stages in the dirty channel so your explanation makes sense.

I think my current strategy is to try and get what I want with a boost style pedal.

It also seems key that any pedal I would use has good control over bass as overdriving the bass is what sounds the worst.

It does depend on the choice of music too. Avoid low notes on the low E string and or play them more gently or with plenty of muting and you can start to get some control.

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Mosky Obsessive OD and Joyo Ultimate Drive get my vote.

I like the sound of my Ultimate Drive better than my V4 OCD. It's not built as well though.

19. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

You'll never go wrong with Joyo Ultimate Drive..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.