OCD clone recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lineboat, Oct 29, 2018.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I’m looking for an inexpensive OCD clone for dragging around, possibly getting lost, that sort of thing. Do you guys have any recommendations? How do they stack up to the real thing?
    Thanks in advance!

2. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I have the Mooer Hustle Drive. It works fine, makes the noises that I was seeking. There is also the EHX OD Glove. I played one in the store and it was also in the same neighborhood.

lineboat likes this.
  3. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

The Joyo Ultimate Drive is pretty close. I just went to an OCD after using the Ultimate Drive for a couple of years. About the only difference I have noticed between the two is the equivalent of sweep of the tone. The Ultimate Drive has a wider sweep so it is actually a bit harder to dial in the tone. But once you've got it it's very close to the OCD. I have the OCD powered at 18 volts too so there is more headroom available with a more defined beakup.

3-Chord-Genius and lineboat like this.
  4. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Also you can find the Ultimate Drive for Less than $30.

3-Chord-Genius and lineboat like this.
  5. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned the Danelectro OCD copy and a Mooer, IMO just find a good used OCD, they are plentiful, and available for not a whole lot more than a new clone.
    The Fulltone pedals are built better and IME sound better too.

7. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Agreed. Get the real deal. Even if you love the clone you'll still always wonder if the real deal is better.

stratman54 and lineboat like this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Gearmanndude!
    Its been a while, but I remember this demo video. Miss this stuff ( really don't buy gear anymore)

I never owned ( or even played) an OCD, but did own and sell ( both, twice!!)
    the Dano V.1 Cool Cat Drive CO-1, and Transparent Overdrive CTO- 1.

Fun pedals, but over time, I found others I liked more...

The thing I liked about the Dano Drive ( the OCD- type one) is that even though it it had more Gain/distortion ( even at low Gain knob settings) that their Transparent OD ( " Timmy" type), I found it to have much better cleanup ( dynamic) with my Guitar's Volume knob-
    Just Something I am really drawn to as I prefer to have my OD's always ON, into a cleanish amp- and just work all from guitar.

blowtorch likes this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I bought the dano Timmy and OCD ripoffs (V1s, both) at the same time, and I much preferred the silver (OCD) one

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My main reason for not keeping the Dano Drive was just that it basically rocks harder ( more of a modern distorted tone) than I do!

I actually sold my second Drive to a buddy ( who never uses it!), and I should just ask to borrow it for a while, revisit;
    Just sub it out ( for my usual OD) on a few gigs...Would be fun, plus " It's Only Rock and Roll..."anyhow!

blowtorch likes this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Joyo Ultimate Drive is excellent.

12. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

i just received my joyo ultimate drive which i bought for about $34 on line and i like it a lot. compared to my OCDv1.4, the UD has more gain, more output and has a brighter sound and more mids, something that i fixed the OCD with a mini eq. i was thinking about getting the more expensive EHX glove but i read so much about quality problems that i decided on the UD as a pedal i can bring always. the OCD stays on the main board because it can be boosted by a TS or an SD1 but the UD can stand alone IMO.

13. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

The company who invented the pedal is still making them, so don't buy a ripoff. OCDs are really inexpensive, too--especially if you buy a blem--and they're well-built. It's a great pedal.

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  14. leonard d rock

it may be a little difficult to say this but IMO the UD is fatter, more dynamic than the ocd, and has more output in store- unity is about 9 oclock while the ocd is usually at 1" or 2". it also doesn't have much sustain in the higher notes. i was looking at the older threads trying to look for the origin of the OCD circuit.

15. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I have the Mooer Hustle Drive & the Eno Trouble (though mine has O-Distortion on case). Both very similar & excellent OCD clones. The volume gain on both is incredible.

16. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I have the OCD and the Ultimate Drive. The Ultimate Drive is ok. Better after I did a couple mods. But the OCD is better. I've run them both on my board in the past. The OCD with the right amp and guitar is smoother to me . The UD has a harsh raspiness that I just don't like. The OCD is still on my board. The UD is on a shelf. YMMV.

telemnemonics and leonard d rock like this.
  17. leonard d rock

can you share the mods you did? thanks

18. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I know there will be no replacement for the real thing, but I’m wanting something to leave on a boat for the month I’m not on it. If it gets stolen or damaged it won’t be a great loss. Maybe a used one is the best way to go. I appreciate all the input!

19. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

The Eno TC-16 Trouble pedal is also available under the Andoer brand name (same pedal and also called the Trouble).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.