1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

obsessing over a Butterscotch blond w maple neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Armin Tamzarian, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Armin Tamzarian

Armin Tamzarian NEW MEMBER!

First time caller, long time listener!

Hey there, I've been playing for about 30 years (with a 10 year sabbatical) and could use some help narrowing down my search for:
    -Butterscotch blond body (want to avoid extra light wood)
    -Maple Neck, C shaped, quality build.
    -med-jumbo frets
    -9.5 radius.

These seem pretty standard right, so this leads me to wonder if the whole import vs usa is really not important for me. I'll likely be swapping out pickups and other hardware pretty easily.

So, given my focus on a quality neck, are the US models (eg player pro II) overpriced for my prefs, or will there be significant quality improvements in the neck build to justify the extra expense (eg vs mex Player). Or should I consider building a partscaster?

Thanks!

Blue Bill, RowdyHoo and Boreas like this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome aboard!

I would suggest you try some Classic Vibe Squiers if you are unsure. They are great platforms if you are considering modifications right off the bat. The neck on mine is great.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-electric-guitar/l58003000002000?cntry=US&cur=USD&utm_content=L58003000002000--Squier+Classic+Vibe+'50s+Telecaster+Maple+Fingerboard+Electric+Guitar+Butterscotch+Blonde&source=3WWRWXGS&gclid=CjwKCAjwmv-DBhAMEiwA7xYrd1Wt4tkpWHR7camfioc9BSwgYaWZSRdB0CLkIqfezH4G5GzuWN6fIRoCQT4QAvD_BwE

Nahtabot, Telekarster, Abre and 3 others like this.
  3. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

As far as quality, I wouldn't worry too much about USA vs Import. They are all pretty good. Just fine one in your price range with the features that you like.

Nelg, RowdyHoo and Boreas like this.
  4. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

I purchased a 2020 Fender Performer series last year that seems 'close' to your specs. It's sort of a blonde or cream as opposed to butterscotch but the other specs seem to align. All I can tell you is that I LOVE this guitar. I have purchased (and kept) several other American teles, starting in the 90's up through today, and I enjoy them all. But...they have been getting scarce playing time since getting the Performer tele.

2020 Blackguard Tele II.jpg 2020 Blackguard Tele.jpg

5. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Classic vibe is great for a decent price. I picked up a Squier bullet butterscotch blond for $109 over the holidays. Did a good setup and it plays beautifully and looks great. Depends what you're after and what you want to spend.

Boreas and Abre like this.
  6. Abre

Abre Tele-Meister

I am a fan of the Classic Vibes, too. I recently purchased a '50s Classic Vibe Esquire and liked it so much nearly bought the Butterscotch Tele. Only reason I didn't was because of another recent purchase. It really sounds like it meets your specs. Good luck!

Boreas and Nahtabot like this.
  7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I've got made in America, made in Mexico, made in Korea, and made in Indonesia guitars. Fenders, Squiers, a Reverend, an Epiphone, a Rickenbacker, an Ibanez, a Guild, Martins, etc., and some obscure parts-castering brands made in China and assembled in America.

The stuff not made in America is often very well made. And I say this as someone from a Rust Belt city who's always lamenting the off-shoring of what used to be great, American jobs.

So I suggest going with whatever feels right to you. Ignore not only where something was made, but even brand names. Or at least regard those issues as very secondary, and unlikely to be guiding any real way.

That said, Rust Belt (old!) boy that I am, I do feel a special pride when I pick up my made-in-USA guitars. But that doesn't mean they're inherently better-made or better-sounding than many other guitars out there.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I suspect USA made Fenders may only be a big deal in the USA. If I am a native of Borneo, it isn't likely I would pay a premium for a USA guitar any more. Go with the instrument that contains the most songs!!

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

You could comment on some fit and finish details based on the factory. But the majority of them are not accurate. A CNC machine doesn’t have awareness of the nation it is installed in.

10. Telefsantasia1

Telefsantasia1 Tele-Meister

Take a look at Bob Logan Guitars! Beautiful work,more than reasonable bang for the buck,and a real gentleman....Worth a look!

Armin Tamzarian likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.