1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Observations on a Hendrix video

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Sep 19, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I had the recent Hendrix tribute Strat, and it was a great guitar, but I agree with you, it didn't sound any different to me than any other good Strat. I've noticed that Jimi had his pickups with the bass side higher and the treble side lower, just the opposite of the way Fender sets them at the factory. But, I don't like that. I set mine with equal height on both sides.

2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yeah.

IMO, the big hurdle is just being able to play with touch that sounds good through a hyper-articulate loud clean to slightly aggressive amp without effects. Once you get there, the devil is in the details. But so many times I see people trying to get "hendrix tone" with too much compression or gain et cetera while attacking the guitar hard enough to murder those poor strings!

Mike M likes this.
  3. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I think its always the performer, never the equipment.

An old friend sent me some old clip they found of me playing years ago. I'm playing some friends cheap horrible guitar, out of some crappy amp, neither are mine, and I was surprised to find out that I sound almost exactly as I do now with my new Am Pro Tele and TMDR.

I'm sure you could put any guitar in his hand and Hendrix would always sound like Hendrix. Not saying the equipment has no effect in the equation, but Its always seem to be in the touch.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, that's a big factor.

But just sticking to Hendrix, certainly he doesn't sound the same in that concert with giant JBL cabs and funky heads compared to his usual M.O., you can hear how much brighter those heads/JBL's sound.

Mike M likes this.
  5. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

The bio I read -- can't remember the title -- included interviews with people who heard him play with the Isleys. They said he used small Ampeg amps and was getting all the same spacey screeching and so on that he later made popular with Marshalls.

Mike M likes this.
  6. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I think as players we all have a “sound” in our head we are searching for and trying to achieve, and I think we compensate either consciously or unconsciously when we are given or use different equipment other than our usual set ups.

I’m not saying that there aren’t tonal variations embedded in all the various stuff we use, and these sites where we discuss and chase the minutiae of tone are interesting and fun, but as I get older I tend to think the equipment we choose is less and less a factor in our individual sound.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Just guessing but i think a right handed strat worked for Jimi soo he just stuck with what he knew worked and i do believe a lot of the comments here are correct.

8. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

didn't jimi actually say he prefered the controls there? he had many opportunities to play a left handed start they did exist, for me a strat look better upside down that's why i have always love the mosrite look.

9. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

I think the story is, when he first got started on the chitlin circuit he was constantly buying and pawning guitars. Since there weren't many left handed guitars at the time, he just made do with the right handed guitars strung upside down. I guess he got used to that set up and saw no reason to switch. And once famous, obviously a personal trademark that he wasn't going to change for commercial reasons.

10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another guy who like Hendrix used amps with a big amount of headroom and playing those amp on "Thou should prepare thyselves" volume levels so he could really get natural feedback going is of course THIS guy.
    [​IMG]
    Also very much like Hendrix, Brain May uses a very light touch, works his volume control as to control the dynamics of his overall tone and uses very minimal effects, a treble booster and delay pedals but that's all.

Yet Brian May sounds NOTHING like Hendrix, proving once again that the player makes all the difference.

Mike M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.