Obscure Footswitch Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WrayGun, Nov 29, 2019.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

When I got my Peavey C30 (in trade), it came with a footswitch, which has two buttons and a LED for each.

After some research, it turns out that the “LED version” footswitch doesn’t work with a Classic 30 112. The correct switch looks exactly the same, but without the LED indicators.

So, being a cheap SOB, I’m wondering if there’s a simple way to convert this LED switch to a non-LED switch, that will work with a C30. Instead of forking out $25 bucks for a new one.

Any ideas appreciated, as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiker likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm, it's not the LED's that are the issue. They are just indicators. Can you tell if yours are momentary switches? (no clik when you push) or old style that clik? Some amps are built to activate with just a momentary switch, others need an old style switch. You might be able to find out what the C 30 needs, or someone here that has one can tell you. Then put the correct switches in. I have an old Peavey 5 button pedal here with led's and some of the switches are momentary and some are switching type.

3. schmee

I found this old thread, that indicates you need switches that "clik".:
    tdpri.com/threads/peavey-classic-30-footswitch.348675/
    "For your C-30, any conventional two button footswitch with a TRS plug will work."

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Built this one for a Bandit from schematic I found somewhere... that might work for you.
    (Less than $10.00 for two switches from lovemyswitches.com.)
    If you can't find exact info I can look for that doc here
    that had several Peavey foot switch schematics.

FSLove.png
    Schematic.png

5. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

No, the LEDs are just an identifying feature of this particular switch. The buttons do click on and off, just like any effects pedal.

Pasta Player likes this.
  6. schmee

One thing you can do (I assume this is a 1/4" stereo plug? ) Install a stereo (TRS) plug in the jack and try grounding each + terminal one at a time. If the functions work when grounded (or ground lifted!) Then all you need to do is wire the switches in the housing in the manner that replicates what works.

Pasta Player and radiocaster like this.
  7. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Sorry, but it's not clear from the discussion...(maybe more caffeine is required.)
    Have we actually tried this "incorrect" foot switch to determine empirically that it does *not* work?

Pasta Player likes this.
  8. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Yes, plugged it in and nothing. Bupkis. However, since I had nothing to lose, I ripped out the LEDs and the crazy excess wire (I don’t believe this was a factory wiring job), and re-worked it like the attached photo. Work great now. Go figure.

[​IMG]

Pasta Player likes this.
  9. Pasta Player

Q: “Have we actually tried this "incorrect" foot switch to determine empirically that it does *not* work?”
    A: “After some research, it turns out that the “LED version” footswitch doesn’t work with a Classic 30 112.”

Yes, more coffee here please.;)

Well, Peavey’s website ~ https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118120/ for the Classic 30 112 shows the same Multi-purpose 2-button footswitch (without the LEDs) that my Bandit was also to use. (See previous post above.) Same as what I constructed AND essentially using the same simple switching principles as those mentioned above by Schmee, where you simply touch one or the other wires (or both) to the ground/shield wire to establish the individual on/off states.

IF the switches in the existing footswitch (gotta pic?) with the LEDs are similar to those 6-post switches in the schematic, perhaps by removing LEDs, resistors etc from the FS that you have.… AND THEN re-wiring like the schematic above/ picture below… that will yield a working footswitch with the supposed TRS plug.:)

Local independent music shop wanted to sell me a very dusty, plastic-housed NOS Peavey FS for $32.00.
    /Nope.

Int.png

10. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

My Peavey tube amp that uses a two button footswitch works fine with a Fender 3 button model.

Pasta Player likes this.
  11. Pasta Player

Duh, sorry. Must've posted your good news while I was typing. Congrats!

*And my Fender 2-button FS (with LEDs) does not work with my Bandit.

12. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I love it when a plan comes together! :):):)

13. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Can you tell me more about where you found this schematic? As depicted in the following photo, I can use the footswitch for ~either~ channel and boost, ~or~ reverb. What would be much more useful for me would be a switch to control the channel with one button, and the reverb with the other button.

Is this even possible? Should I start a new thread??

[​IMG]

14. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Or, here’s a question: can I use two identical footswitches, plugged into each input? Would that cover all switchable options?

15. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

Yes! Each cable will then require a regular 1/4" Mono (TS) plug. The schematic shown on post n° 8 is using a Stereo (TRS) plug which is in fact combining both functions ( Select & Reverb ) in one jack/plug as found on Peavey Bandit.

EDIT : I just noticed that one of the jack is identify as "Channel/Boost". If this is two distinct functions then a Mono plug will not achieve both. You might need a Stereo plug and a double button footswitch going in this jack.
    But since the amp is a 2015 it could require the led to work.

Second EDIT : The Classic 30 II need a three button footswitch and it is acting on relays and chips in the amp. This being a very different way of operating than the usual previously used footswitch.
    So I'm now convinced that you will need the original FS with the LED and whatever circuitry that is in.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  16. Pasta Player

Ahh… mysteries…

I’ll keep looking for that document. Sent someone a clip from it for a Peavey Artist amp and then I might’ve tossed the doc. (Filing system here leaves a lot to be desired.) Sorry.

BUT, in checking Peavey’s website… seems that there’s a bit of weirdness concerning the pedals for the C30 and the Delta Blues. The Classic 30 calls for two different footswitches - #03054360 for channel and boost & a #03051000 for the reverb - while the Delta Blues calls for the #03330850 footswitch for both jacks. Might want to call / check w/ Peavey (or check w/ someone here that actually has a Classic 30 (or Classic 30 /112).

C30.png

DB.png

Two different and separate footswitches? I’m confused. OR a 3-button footswitch with two male plugs on the cable end?
    Maybe if the one you’ve already changed works for the channel & boost… you only need an additional single footswitch for the reverb?

I’d check those Peavey footswitch numbers for the Classic 30 to see if one is a 2-button and the other, a single.

*AND… it seems that the second switch for reverb is “used to defeat reverb” so it simply turns off whatever you have your reverb set at (or back on to where you had it set previously).:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.