Obscure albums you stumbled onto that you still love today?

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
Before you could stream anything, in the early 2000s, I used to go to my local library and get a stack of CDs (10 or more) of all sorts of stuff in addition to lots of jazz, which is what I was heavily into both playing and studying.

One trip in particular, I picked these 3 random CDs along with some others, partly because I had either heard the band or record mentioned and/or I was aware of them (I mean who hasn't heard of Willie Nelson?!) I was trying to branch out and not stay in a jazz vacuum. I soon became a fan of all the artists after this intial intro too.

Radiohead - Kid A
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger.

Nahtabot

Tele-Holic
1646927317873.png

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Lonnie Johson with Otis Spann live in Copenhagen 16.10.1963, I picked up this East German pressing when it first came out in 1988, and have loved it ever since,
1646926766542.png

and have often craved to own a Kay Value Leader like he is playing, it sounds so right for his style, but alas, they are rare
over here, whereas it seems you can find them in good condition, for around $250 in America.

1646927168146.png

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Tesla Five Man Acoustical Jam. A pretty cool mix of their songs and a few covers. Of coarse Signs got all the airplay but the whole concert was cool. I wore out the CD. Still pull up videos on YouTube all of the time.

With a little Truckin' in there. Coo. Used to be in a band that did Modern Day Cowboy. Saw them once at the Stars & Guitars show. Opener was Johnny Crash (Never heard from them again) Bonham, Satriani, Tesla and Motley Crue. At Alpine Valley, in WI 1990.

Creaulx

TDPRI Member
The Cowboy Junkies 'caution horeses' back in the early 90's. No idea now where I heard it as definitely not my flavour of music at the time.
I had just got divorced and the track ' the sun comes up, it's Tuesday morning' spoke volumes to me.

The Junkies are in my top 5 of all time. Pale Sun, Crescent Moon and Lay It Down (among many others) are stone cold classics. It's unfortunate that they're mostly known for a Lou Reed cover. Saw them for the first time in 2018(!) and was blown away. May or may not have shed tears during the song "Crescent Moon".

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Top of my list for this type of discussion are the lone Mogul Thrash album (features 2 of the horn players who went on to form Average White Band, and John Wetton) and the first Tempest album (featured Allan Holdsworth and John Hiseman).

WelhavenTW

Tele-Meister
A small number released on vinyl in 1990. Had to go on Ebay and pay an arm and a leg.

Canadian thrash metal!

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I was 8 years old and my older brother had a cassette of this. I saw the front artwork, and overheard the title track, "Now your messin' with a..." and it was the coolest thing I had ever heard...until VH I came out. I finally got around to listening to the other tracks and realized the whole thing was great from start to finish. Changin' Times, Please Don't Judas Me, Whiskey Drinkin' Woman. Just really cool R&R!

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
The Junkies are in my top 5 of all time. Pale Sun, Crescent Moon and Lay It Down (among many others) are stone cold classics. It's unfortunate that they're mostly known for a Lou Reed cover. Saw them for the first time in 2018(!) and was blown away. May or may not have shed tears during the song "Crescent Moon".
The track the Sun comes up, it's Tuesday morning got me through the break up of my marriage knowing someone else knew how I felt

highgreenchilly

Tele-Meister
Merle Haggard - Same Train Different Time. He turned me on to Jimmie Rodgers. He may have also turned me onto Bob Wills (that’s another album but I haven’t owned that one). I love all three of them!