Obscure albums you stumbled onto that you still love today?

srblue5

Tele-Holic
In my college years, I worked for a year with the student's union -- worst job of my life, but I did get to go on a conference to Seattle (all expenses paid). My coworkers were very cliquey and I very clearly was the odd man out so after they left me at the hotel to go for a fancy steak dinner, I wandered over to the Barnes & Noble near my hotel. I figured I'd read some books and magazines until they closed and kicked me out. Instead, I found an incredible selection of music there where I found two rather obscure albums that knocked me out.

The first was Edie Brickell & New Bohemians' Stranger Things (no relation to the TV show). I was aware of Brickell from her marriage with Paul Simon (one of my heroes) and some of her solo work but this was a reunion album with the New Bohemians. I picked it up on a whim and it became one of my desert island discs. Those songs bring back a lot of happy memories. And to think it was because I was ostracized by my coworkers that I found it! If I had kept in touch with them after that year, I would send them a bottle of wine every so often as a thank-you.

Key tracks (for me, anyway):

The other was Buddy Guy's Heavy Love. Not one of his better albums but still an enjoyable obscure listen. I especially loved this song:

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This masterpiece of amazing guitar boogie popped up on my radar back in '78 when I was DJing a late-night weekend show on a college FM station as a promo copy. I still have it. Bought it again a year ago as a CD so I could rip tracks onto my PC and portable MP3 player.

41ADW5VRANL.jpg

When I bought the CD it was $30 and I thought that was steep - it's now $75!!!
"Caledonia" from this record is a surefire cure for depression:

Area51

Tele-Holic
In my college years, I worked for a year with the student's union -- worst job of my life, but I did get to go on a conference to Seattle (all expenses paid). My coworkers were very cliquey and I very clearly was the odd man out so after they left me at the hotel to go for a fancy steak dinner, I wandered over to the Barnes & Noble near my hotel. I figured I'd read some books and magazines until they closed and kicked me out. Instead, I found an incredible selection of music there where I found two rather obscure albums that knocked me out.

The first was Edie Brickell & New Bohemians' Stranger Things (no relation to the TV show). I was aware of Brickell from her marriage with Paul Simon (one of my heroes) and some of her solo work but this was a reunion album with the New Bohemians. I picked it up on a whim and it became one of my desert island discs. Those songs bring back a lot of happy memories. And to think it was because I was ostracized by my coworkers that I found it! If I had kept in touch with them after that year, I would send them a bottle of wine every so often as a thank-you.

Key tracks (for me, anyway):

The other was Buddy Guy's Heavy Love. Not one of his better albums but still an enjoyable obscure listen. I especially loved this song:

Ahh yes, I really liked the Edie Brickel and the New Bohemians. Which finally made me think of a contribution:

Aimee Mann - I'm with Stupid

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
This obscure enough for ya!

Demian.

We found it in a buddies older brothers collection. We had no idea about who they were and puzzled over how good it was and how...obscure!

Classic 1970s rock!

First track is great and it gets better!

I love this album, too.
Face The Crowd is my favorite song on it.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Anggun.

I saw her on Sessions at West 54th, and went right out and bought the record. Still listen to it regularly.

It's pop, but the production is amazing and man can she sing. Beautiful warm alto, and then when she lets go on the choruses...

Sinead Lohan.

Put out one great record, produced by Flood, who worked with U2, Peter Gabriel and Emmylou Harris. Then just vanished.

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The Bluebirds. From Shreveport Louisiana. Not to be confused with the 20 million other bands called The Bluebirds. Featuring brothers Buddy & Bruce Flett

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Buckethead - Heaven is Your Home(For my father, Thomas Manley Carroll)

Or anything by Buckethead, TBH. His almost 400 albums span many different genres and music types.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I love this album, too.
Face The Crowd is my favorite song on it.

They actually had it on iTunes so I broke a rule and bought it!

The entire album is great! I know a little of the story for The Bubble Puppy and going to LA to record as Demian and getting their gear ripped off and calling it quits....I'm sure more to it but man they put out one great 1970s rock album!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
They actually had it on iTunes so I broke a rule and bought it!

The entire album is great! I know a little of the story for The Bubble Puppy and going to LA to record as Demian and getting their gear ripped off and calling it quits....I'm sure more to it but man they put out one great 1970s rock album!

Me too, regarding knowing their history.
Guitarist Todd Potter went to my high school (Reagan), though he is several years older.
Todd played guitar with late, great progressive country rocker Rusty Weir for years in the 70s-80s.
He still gigs around here occasionally.
Great player.
The other members formed a great band in the late 70’s, Sirius.
I saw them play a few times at the Armadillo, which closed in 1980.
I also saw a few Bubble Puppy reunion gigs at the Saxon Pub.
They still had “it”.
Bassist Roy Cox passed away several years ago.
Bubble Puppy/Demian/Sirius were great, tight, rockin’ bands with great vocals.
RIP, Roy.

Last edited:

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
me too, regarding knowing their history.
Guitarist Todd Potter went to my high school (Reagan), though he is several years older.
Todd played guitar with late, great progressive country rocker Rusty Weir for years in the 70s-80s.
He still gigs around here occasionally.
Great player.
The other members formed a great band in the late 70’s, Sirius.
I saw them play a few times at the Armadillo, high closed in 1980.
I also saw a few Bubble Puppy reunion gigs at the Saxon Pub.
They still had “it”.
Bassist Roy Cox passed away several years ago.
Bubble Puppy/Demian/Sirius were great, tight, rockin’ bands with great vocals.
RIP, Roy.

Oh cool!

I knew they were Texas (Austin?) band but didn't know about Sirius! Off to Google!

:D

Thanks!