Obscure albums you stumbled onto that you still love today?

John Frets

Tele-Meister
Here’s one from the Way-Back Machine. I got this album, featuring artists on Columbia records, a long, long time ago at a cut-out bin.

It introduced me to guitarists Jessed Ed Davis (with Taj Mahal) and Peter Green (with Fleetwood Mac). The guitar playing on those two tunes (Bacon Fat and Stop Messin’ Round) is still among of the best I’ve ever heard.

R-3026757-1538195895-8387.jpeg.jpg

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
Katharsis - Janne Schaeffer

New York Stories Vol. 1 - Danny Gatton, Roy Hargrove, Joshua Redman, etc.

Players - Scott Henderson, Jeff Berlin, T Lavitz & Steve Smith

Celebrate Me Home - Kenny Loggins

Move - The Red Norvo Trio with Tal Farlow and Charles Mingus (obscure today but not back then).

Jazz Winds from a New Direction - Hank Garland.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
The city I grew up in was all about rock in the 70s and 80s.
Disco "sucked", 'punkers' were losers, etc.
My brother and I had formed a punk trio and were desperate to hear anything new related to punk music (this was early 80s).
Among the same old ten punk records at the local shop was a semi-familiar name: Meat Puppets!
We cobbled our cash and took it home.
Expecting the Meatmen, we were stunned by the bizarre psychedelia of The Meat Puppets, but quickly became fans.
I love this record to this day:

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
We used to trawl through second hand record stores on saturday mornings when in high school looking for something new/different/obscure...

That's exactly how it happened. In the summer, any day of the week, my freshman year give or take, we might ride our bike's to 'Bobs Be-Bop Records' in Quincy, Illinois, and come out with a hidden gem or two.

I remember doing just that for the latest rolling Stones release, as it was the first since I became a fan. And I remembered how disappointed I was... in 'Black and Blue'.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Electric Flag’s A Long Time Coming. I bought it for the album cover and have been playing it regularly ever since
I’m not how obscure it is but I had never heard of it. There were only 2 copies in the music store. I bought one and the other was still there months later

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
There are many of those for me but the first one that came to mind was Pistolero by Frank Black and the Catholics. I never listened to the Pixies, didn’t know who Black Francis/Frank Black was. Stumbled upon the album on eMusic - must have been 2000 or ‘01. Still in my top 10 favorite albums. Here’s the first track on the album, and it hooked me.