1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oasis case humidifier

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EsquireBoy, Oct 22, 2020.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I've just bought this little case humidifier: you fill it with distilled water which is absorbed by crystals that turn to gel. Then the water slowly evaporates through the thin fabric and you refill it once the crystals have dried out.

51nzpRHfvTL._AC_SL1027_.jpg

It worked perfectly for the first week; but today after refilling it I squeezed it a bit when putting it back into the guitar case and some gel squeezed out between the brown rubber seal and the neck of the device...
    However when putting it upside down there's no leak, but there is definitely some leakage as soon as I squeeze it.

Does anybody have experience with one and can tell me if it's normal?
    Thanks!

2. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I have something like this, same basic design although mine is for acoustics and is 'stuck' between the D and G strings... I've had some of that gel expand out through the top when it gets too dry, but haven't seen those seams around the ends separate. My guess is that it's no big deal, but I might leave it out on--or maybe suspended over?--a piece of paper over night to see if it's actually dripping if that's a concern.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. EsquireBoy

Thanks! When the guitar is stored in its case the humidifier stands up, but I’m mostly concerned when moving the case during transport. I may go back to the store tomorrow but it’s a pretty long drive.
    Anyway although a clever design, it does not really inspire confidence because it seems quite fragile.
    Not really sure what that gel is made of and what it could cause to the lacquer if it happens to spill on it.

4. buster poser

Looked ours up, it's the one below, so basically the same.

I'm with you... not confidence-inspiring and shouldn't be happening. It feels like the ends are just glued to the material in the center 'tube,' so it wouldn't surprise me if that had become separated.

Sorry you got a leaky one there... good luck on getting it replaced.

[​IMG]

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

Ok thanks a lot! That seems to confirm I’ve got a bad one... I’ll try to get it replaced today. Pretty long drive for sure, but a good excuse to go look at guitars and amps :rolleyes:

6. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Oasis Case Humidifier?

Oh, i thought you're talking about this:

Oasis.png

buster poser and EsquireBoy like this.
  7. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I've used these for my Martin D28. There is this warning:
    Hold Oasis by the yellow ends
    Always hold the Oasis® humidifier by the yellow or brown ends rather than the fabric in the middle. The ends are rigid plastic which supports the structure of the humidifier. The middle blue or khaki section is soft squeezable fabric where water vapor escapes. If you squeeze the center while the cap is off the humidifier, Oasis® will behave like a toothpaste tube and eject the water and crystals. If you do this, you will need to purchase a Humigel™ replacement kit.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  8. EsquireBoy

Yes indeed! The first use of the device is not very intuitive and the user manual is not really clear to say the least.

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  9. EsquireBoy

@buster poser & @Fret Wilkes :
    I’ve managed to drive to the store today and they exchanged it.
    FWIW the external rubber shell (which is wether yellow or brown apparently) is not the real seal: the latter is underneath (see picture below).
    I’m able to see it on my new humidifier because the rubber shell does not go as high up the neck on this one.
    On the first one it was obviously this seal that was defective.
    It looks like some kind of clear silicone and seem quite fragile indeed.
    Thanks again for your advice! Cheers

upload_2020-10-23_18-7-33.jpeg

10. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Appreciate the update. I hope it works for you, and stays stable! All the best.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  11. buster poser

Most welcome, glad you got it sorted out. Something to keep an eye on for ours.

EsquireBoy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.