Oak?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkn09, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jkn09

jkn09 Tele-Meister

Opinions on guitars made of oak? i have tons available to me, and the guitar I'm making right now has some oak, so i'm just wondering what to expect.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

That is a pretty heavy timber for a guitar body in my opinion.

3. Nick88

Nick88 Tele-Meister

agreed.

I made a thinline body out of oak with an ash top, and that's a bit of a backbreaker - sounds good tho

4. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

I'm working on a partscaster using a Warmouth Thinline, alder with an oak top....the body weighs in at just 3.4 lbs.

A few years ago Taylor made an oak acoustic to prove that it could work as a tonewood...called it the pallet guitar.

Tom

5. jaythebassist

jaythebassist TDPRI Member

My friend and I are in the process of finishing up lap steel guitars made from oak. They're heavy, but extremely resonant. FYI

I'll post a recording of it after I learn how to play the damn thing. :)

6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I have what I think is Oak and it is quartersawn . I will be doing a build with it in the near future . I'll let you know my opinion then . As far as weight is concerned , I can't see it being heavier than my Rosewood .

7. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Here's a link to the Taylor Pallet guitar if your interested.

Oak might work for an acoustic but I think it would be far to heavy for a solidbody. You could top off a slab of pine or alder with it or do a thinline.

8. jkn09

jkn09 Tele-Meister

ok...i was more so asking about the tonal qualities. it's an oak and walnut thinline, so it's definitely a workout but being a thinline helps. as long as it sounds good i don't really mind the weight

9. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Oak sounds great, and weight depnds where you cut it from the tree. Big pieces that are lihgt will be togh to find and somewhat instable, but worth it.

10. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've made guitars from oak. Yeah, its heavy but an oak Tele won't be any heavier than a Les Paul. You can also do some chambering or other tricks to lighten it up. Here is a picture of a body I lightened up... it wasn't oak, but the concept is the same.

[​IMG]

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've posted this before on oak threads but this is the best use I found for my oak attempt:
    [​IMG]

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Certain environs we find ourselves in in this civilized world, nothing but oak. Oak everywhere you look.

I like the idea of escaping from oak. I've worked long enough with oak, already.

I do like this "Australian silky oak" capped Thinline, but it isn't Quercus oak, but a relative of lacewood. Sounds great.

[​IMG]

13. Hulk

Hulk TDPRI Member

I built a Partscaster body from 1 solid piece of Red Oak. It is heavy, but as pointed out earlier, it is no heavier than my LP. The Oak was not the easiest wood to work with but it did yield a satisfying result. I made it a traditional string-through design and was very pleased with the sustain. The wood is actually quite resonant, which I was a little surprised by, I had been practicing and was sitting with my guitar against midsection while I was listening to music and looking through my sheet music when I could feel the vibration of the music through the body.

It is heavy, there is no question, I'm a big guy so thats not an issue for me. I am pleased with the sustain and resonance.

14. sevycat

sevycat Tele-Meister

That is a nice looking guitar!

15. JasonRobert

JasonRobert Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.