O Canada . Who’s your favorite Canadian band/performer?

Mr Perch

Tele-Afflicted
<iframe width="470" height="363" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UZEB!!

Interesting. But I hear a keyboard part. Why is that person not credited or visible?

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
My favourite of the ones I have seen perform (which is admittedly a small subset of the available acts) is Le Vent du Nord. I saw them at my local festival, the music is their's and they appear just before the end;

for a larger dose;

eric_telemaque

TDPRI Member
My favourite of the ones I have seen perform (which is admittedly a small subset of the available acts) is Le Vent du Nord. I saw them at my local festival, the music is their's and they appear just before the end;

for a larger dose;

Great to see Le Vent Du Nord go places!

Proud to say my friend Nicolas (lead vocals and hurdy-gurdy) was the keyboard player in my first band. We played prog rock in our mid-teens :) Great guy!

roeg

Tele-Meister
Since There is no time frame on the suggestions, and there are so many good ones...i'll reach back to the band that got me into playing guitar, so my sentimental favorite(Ontario boy here :))
Always overlooked...but not in San Antonio Texas! Practically a household name in metal circles there...still gets local radio play, i've read(?)

220px-Moxy_Tommy_bollin.jpg
A-301229-1267719841.jpeg.jpg

check out the solo @2:50.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
The Tragically Hip. I never heard their music back in Indiana. Not once. Here outside of Buffalo, NY we can listen to some very high quality Canadian rock stations and a wide range of TTH is in rotation. IMO it's fine, inventive stuff.

Not a artist per se, but we also get the astonishingly good jazz station that's up in Toronto. Canada has some fine jazz artists that never get play in the states. Gregory Porter is a singer that comes to mind.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Still Stompin' Tom Connors for me.
His son, Taw Connors, is keeping his father's songs alive. He does a one-man show, singing his father's songs, at small venues and summer fairs. He was out here in Alberta a couple of years ago but I wasn't aware of him at that time. When he comes out west again, I'll be catching his show.

You can find him on YouTube singing his father's songs. He has a good voice and sounds like Stompin' Tom.

The you-know-what has put the kibosh on his touring. I haven't spoken to him lately but I hope that he can get back on the road playing those Stompin' Tom songs.

Here are a couple of photos of his cd. Hmmm, looks like someone picked him up. Lol. There are no Stompin' Tom songs on it; just his own originals.

He lives up in northern Ontario. Probably just stepped out his front door for the photo shoot.
526101A1-DE22-4A64-BD53-484ECE25DFDC.jpeg
1C334DDB-E841-4350-9EAB-198D96867C5F.jpeg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
His son, Taw Connors, is keeping his father's songs alive. He does a one-man show, singing his father's songs, at small venues and summer fairs. He was out here in Alberta a couple of years ago but I wasn't aware of him at that time. When he comes out west again, I'll be catching his show.

You can find him on YouTube singing his father's songs. He has a good voice and sounds like Stompin' Tom.

The you-know-what has put the kibosh on his touring. I haven't spoken to him lately but I hope that he can get back on the road playing those Stompin' Tom songs.

Here are a couple of photos of his cd. Hmmm, looks like someone picked him up. Lol. There are no Stompin' Tom songs on it; just his own originals.

He lives up in northern Ontario. Probably just stepped out his front door for the photo shoot. View attachment 943286 View attachment 943287
Fantastic!
I’m glad Taw is carrying on the family tradition.
Stompin’ Tom was great, his autobiography was a fun read.
RIP, Tom, a thanks, Taw.

Last edited:

Mellencaster

Poster Extraordinaire
He may not be a household name for people in the last 2 generations but he was well known in my generation.

GUY-LOMBARDO-NEW-YEARS-EVE.jpg

The “sweetest music this side of Heaven.” That’s how the Chicago Tribune, back in 1928, characterized the music made by Guy Lombardo and his orchestra, the Royal Canadians. A native of London, Ontario, Lombardo was responsible for making “Auld Lang Syne” the definitive New Year’s Eve song and entertained countless listeners in a career that lasted more than 50 years.

Last edited: