1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NZD...Dr Z Nova

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dburns, Dec 4, 2020.

1. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Somebody was a good boy this year!

Just came in from Sweetwater. Had a previous post how I was between a Z Wreck Jr and a ‘57 Custom Deluxe. Came upon the Nova, and after reading about it and listening to clips I couldn’t imagine going with a different amp.

Since I just got it and haven’t been able to turn it up yet I’m going to hold off on going overboard with heaping praise, but it has definitely made a great first impression. We all talk about amps being touch sensitive and whatnot but this one is really next level in that regard...and this is with having the master barely on.

Also, the clean and OD channel are very well balanced, at least easy to be adjusted so...and like a “transparent” OD pedal, stepping on the foot switch retains the same tone but with just more gain blended in, which is what I really like. Relatively quiet for a tube amp too, and the OD channel may even be a little quieter than the normal...it’s at least the same, and there’s definitely no added hum when engaging the foot switch.

Scheduled to have a band rehearsal this Wednesday. Can’t wait to open it up volume-wise and report back. Really have a good feeling about this one, I think it’s going to be everything I wanted and more. Here’s a few pics and I’ll eventually get around to posting some video clips. 29F48DE7-6B10-41D2-BC3D-F034F51AFEC3.jpeg E7A57474-0E0B-4715-A206-9F452ADFBDDB.jpeg 192090AF-CDD2-4690-BD70-53DFCDF863CE.jpeg

2. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Holic

Something tells me I will not be seeing one of these under my Festivus pole this year:(

Jakedog, dburns and Cali Dude like this.
  3. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Not that anyone cares, but I was able to play the Nova out at a small gig last night. Sounds great.

thunderbyrd and Jakedog like this.
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats, Z builds nice stuff.

dburns likes this.
  5. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

• Update on the Nova...First real gig (mic’d up with a drummer) Saturday night and it was great.

Only small nitpick issue I had is actually a testament to how cool of an amp it is. Which is this, since the Overdrive channel is so natural (the clean is blended in) there were a few instances were I didn’t know what channel I was on without looking at the amp, since there’s no light on the foot switch. So a few times I dug in and it was too dirty and vice versa. Just minor things like that. But the overall sound and feel of the amp was incredible. If I was just in a straight rock or blues band I wouldn’t need any dirt pedals at all with this amp. I could probably do without one in this band if I had to, but I don’t, so I still kept my Dude and Suhr Koko boost on the board just to have. But I only used them for some of the 80s and 90s rock covers we do.

As far as settings I had the master at around 10 o’clock and the OD a little higher than that, and the regular volume just a tad higher than the OD. Seemed to be a good balance. Made minor tweaks throughout the night with the bass and treble but didn’t have to fiddle around with knobs too much at all. This is only my second master volume amp, but this one functions better to me than the little v25 Boogie head I used to have.

Overall I’m really happy with it and almost two months into it I haven’t had any thoughts about the other amps I was looking at before. I have the Tweed type tones I was looking for but with a tad more headroom (so I’ve been told), and still have the Z build quality...along with an excellent master volume, effects loop and overdrive channel. Would definitely recommend this amp.

thunderbyrd and BB like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.