NZ earthquake: everyone OK?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hazcat, Nov 13, 2016.

1. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

A quake rated at 7.5 rattled New Zealand around midnight local time. The quake was centered near Christchurch -- the center of the last big quake in 2011. Extensive damage is reported up and down the east coast of the South Island and up in Wellington. So, how are our Kiwi friends holding up? Hope everyone's safe and sound.

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Christchurch again. Just what they don't need. We were having lunch yesterday with friends and planning their NZ itinerary next year based from Christchurch. I hope they still go, NZ needs the tourists.

3. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

All good here, I was at work when it hit. A smooth rolling action this time, not
    like the previous big jolters.

Some carnage to the main highway north but only a couple of lives lost this
    time.

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Small town of Kaikoura is cut off with major slips blocking road and rail north and south of the town. NZ navy are heading there to take essential supplies and evacuate those needing to get out.
    Other small towns and villages have been cut off by badly ruptured roads and bridges.
    The capital city, Wellington, has been quite badly affected as and the CBD was closed off today to allow engineers to check buildings.
    There have been literally hundreds of aftershocks, some big ones of 5 - 6 magnitude.
    This has been a very rough 24 hours for a large proportion of the country and no end in sight.
    Fortunately there have been only 2 fatalities - if thats a positive.

Telenut62 likes this.
  5. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Earthquakes are not uncommon where I live, but this one was a biggie and it went on for a long time. Like Del Pickup says, hundreds of aftershocks and they sure keep you on your toes. Life goes on though......

Telenut62 likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Such incredably beautiful country NZ I would love to go there one day so primeval and yet gorgeous, I hope every one stays safe!

appearently only 1/7 of the continent is above water and is realy volcanicly active

7. Del Pickup

And now, to add to the situation, there's flooding and heavy rain hampering the clean up and evacuation of people from Kaikoura.
    Sometimes it seems that nature enjoys kicking you when you're down....

8. jazzereh

jazzereh Tele-Meister

Really hoping everyone is ok there. It was awful to see the damage in the Christchurch area after the one in 2011. One of the joys of travel is that you feel a connection to places like NZ when you can picture the scenery you've seen yourself and the people you met there. Beautiful country indeed and wonderful people. Been there twice and would go again in a flash. Here's hoping it's only a few small aftershocks now and they end soon.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

1479158625811.jpg

Some serious damage over there..wonder if this trio has made it to safety yet

10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

11. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

I'm glad everyone here is safe for now, but what a terrible chain of events. Since they started talking a few years ago about the probability of a major earthquake in my region, I tend to read these accounts a little differently, I suppose. I'll be in New Zealand in January; maybe I can help tidy up. Best wishes to all.

12. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I live about 45 minutes' commute north of Wellington. We are used to earthquakes here, but this was the biggest shake I've felt in all my many years. It would have been far worse down in Kaikoura. It took a few hours before I was able to head back to sleep.

We were very fortunate it hit around midnight on a Sunday night. If it had happened on a Friday or Saturday night there would have been people out on the streets clubbing and bar-hopping. If it had happened in office hours there would have been many more deaths and injuries.

I work in the Wellington CBD. My office on the 4th floor just had computer monitors and books scattered around, but up on level 13 it was mayhem. Filing cabinets fallen, desks flipped over (no use hiding under there), and so on. We were told to stay home Monday and Tuesday. I’m back at work now but no-one is allowed on level 13 yet and there are no lifts.

Just up the road from here there’s an office building in danger falling down. Over near the harbour another modern building had an entire floor pancake. That would have been multiple fatalities for sure.

Then the storm caused severe flooding. This would have been a serious event on its own let alone a day after a major earthquake. My home village was cut off from north and south both rail and road. Fortunately we still had phone, internet, power, and water.

The mess down in the South Island is far worse. There will be some very stressed, very scared people down there, and the children must be a wreck. We had a lot of trouble getting our 5 year old girl to sleep on the Monday night. She totally fell apart worrying about more quakes. It must be far worse for the kids and parents down south.

Life is precious and it’s on a knife-edge. Things can change in an instant.

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw on the news that the farmer cut a ramp with a shovel to get the cows to walk down..... a big effort, I'd say....

having never felt an earthquake... It'd freak me out to feel the earth move... yikkes...

richiek65 likes this.
  14. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Girlfriend very relieved to hear the cows got down OK.

I just want for the tremors and flooding to stop. Thinking about ya'll!

16. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Well New Orleans knows all about natural disasters eh.

The sun is out and the flooding has largely receded, and I haven't felt any after shock so far (touch wood) today, BUT now there's a severe weather watch for thunderstorms! Might as well send us some snow as well while you're at it, you know just so we can collect the full set. Flippin' heck.

17. Del Pickup

Even more buildings being evacuated and cordoned off today. Seems like the ongoing aftershocks might be taking their toll on already weakened concrete structures. Or maybe the engineers are just being a bit more careful given that several newer buildings have been found to be sadly lacking in their structural stability.

It really is concerning that several new buildings (built in the last 5 - 10 years) have been identified as being defective. It somehow suggests that the national building code isn't what it should be or else there have been shortcuts taken during construction.

It's only now coming out that a building with a 100% rating isn't guaranteed to be totally earthquake proof as this will create a building which should allow people to walk out with minimal injuries but the building itself could still be beyond economic repair. And, as usual, to construct a building which will withstand a major quake and still be usable after requires much larger expenditure in forming the foundations with base isolators. And most developers don't want to spend that amount........!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.